PDA

View Full Version : Position of HOB filters

Elliots
06-06-2012, 02:32 PM
My 60X24X25 150g tank is arriving 6/17. I want to get a 3D background. I want to install the background before I fill the tank. I will start with two AC110 filters, with the background in place the water return may not clear the background. I believe the water intakes will be behind the background. Will the filters work well if I hang them from opposite sides of the tank? It appears that 3D backgrounds work with canister filters but I am not sure I want a canister filter.

CrazyAngels
06-06-2012, 02:46 PM
I can see were you could trim just a little of the background top edge to make room for the HOB return and still get great results, since the water flows just below the surface. I had to trim the top rim of my top rim on my tank just to get my HOBs to fit correctly.

Elliots
06-06-2012, 02:50 PM
Jorge Q., I am sorry I wasn't thinking about a simple solution. That sounds good but I still want to know if the filters will work hung on the sides so I have a choice

Bill63SG
06-06-2012, 05:30 PM
I have two AC110 on the back of my tank with the slim line 3D background.Its a little tight.but because the background is textured,you can find a sweet spot for them.Back ground is like harder styrafoam,so you can work it a bit.They will work on the sides but might/will interfere with lids,depending what you have.

CrazyAngels
06-06-2012, 06:52 PM
Jorge Q., I am sorry I wasn't thinking about a simple solution. That sounds good but I still want to know if the filters will work hung on the sides so I have a choice

it would work on the sides as long as your top is modified to accept the installation, unless it's an open top, in that case I don't see why it would not work.

Elliots
06-06-2012, 08:29 PM
Thanks all! Now all I need is to verify that Discus do not chew or eat 3D backgrounds.

Bill63SG
06-06-2012, 11:33 PM
Thanks all! Now all I need is to verify that Discus do not chew or eat 3D backgrounds.?It's a hard plastic/foam.Would be like cleaning fake drift wood.Not something that can breakdown.