PDA

View Full Version : How much is the true amount to feed juvies

discusmurderer
06-10-2012, 01:01 PM
Hi to all,Is there such a term called protein poisoning? or too much protein that will cause gut rot.

The real question is if too much beef heart will cause the stomach to rot, my fish are fed 8 times a day and they eat all their food that is given,so would they be recieving to much protein?

DiscusKev
06-10-2012, 03:35 PM
Be it a fish or a human, they can only consume as much nutrient as the body can handle, any excess will be passed out. From what I am aware of, if you feed a lot of protein based food, your water surface will get oily (protein).

However, I am not sure whether it would cause the stomach/gut to rot, but because you are feeding so intensely, the stomach will expand.

dprais1
06-10-2012, 06:21 PM
you can feed people and fish too many nutrients. this is where vitamin toxicity comes in to play (with fat soluble vitamins not water soluble vitamins), obesity (generally from too much fat or carbs) and liver and kidney problems from too much protein.

here is a mayo clinic link that discusses high protien diets in people http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/high-protein-diets/AN00847 which i would tend to trust

would it cause the gut to rot. no, i doubt it, no reason for it. just make sure they are still getting some form of roughage be it veg. or brine shrimp to help move their bowels and the temp is correct so they can digest the food.

I know of no reason that protien in and of itself would have any negative inpact on the digestive tract. internal organs yes.

dprais1
06-10-2012, 06:42 PM
oh. remember discus are not people, they thrive on much higher protein diets than people. type of protein impacts absorption and rate of absorption. a chunck of beefheart is much harder to digest and slower absorption than beefheart that has been chopped, ground, and blended into a paste.

lipadj46
06-10-2012, 07:28 PM
It's not the protein you need to worry about, excess will get passed. the mammal fat can cause health issues

k7prz
06-11-2012, 12:28 PM
I heard feeding too many live white worms could cause a fat accumulation. Would
once a day for white worms be OK?

Dave near Portland, OR

discusmurderer
06-13-2012, 12:45 AM
wow! thanks alot for those inputs guys, they are very precise and i will be sure to check out the link on mayoclinic . I really cant remember who told me of the gut rot but i always thought it to be false. as for the fat , i leave a little fat on the heart,i dont clean off all but i leave a little film then i grind it in a hand turning mill.

these juvies are taking long to grow ,even though i am doing daily wc's they are surly growing slower that turks or reds.they are from PE parents.

Taylor Discus
06-13-2012, 04:11 AM
hi with regards to beef heart as quite rightly said in previous posts the level of essential and non essential fats is critical for example if you make your own beef heart yes the fish may love it but if you dont have the correct vitamins and minerals,ammino acids ,vegitation in the correct qty at some point down the line you will get problems and lots of them but another thing that gets forgotten about that was also mentioned above was the size of the particles this is just as important for the speed of digestion and health of the fish for example to grow a juvenile big and fast the stomach needs to be full constantly in order for the fish to be constantly processing the above ingredients absorbing the nutrients and discarding the waste