PDA

View Full Version : tank size vs water quality

joe1225us
06-11-2012, 02:31 PM
Any thoughts on the value of tank size as opposed to water quality? What I mean is as follows. I have five 2 inch juvenile discus in a 10 gallon bare tank. I change 50% of the water either once or twice a day. I am thinking of placing them in a 30 gallon tank. But I KNOW that the amount of water changes will suffer. So I will have them in a larger tank, but lower quality water. Is there any disadvantage to keeping them in the smaller tank (as long as they have room to swim!) and keeping the water quality high? Does a larger tank have any inherent value other than the ability to keep the water quality higher.

Harriett
06-11-2012, 02:54 PM
Joe,
I can tell you that 5 2"ers in a 10g with a 50-100% change daily is too small and too dense; the juvies will not do as well as they will with double or triple the space; they need to go into a larger tank. If I am reading your note correctly, you are stating that you either keep them in an inadequately small tank or move them into a larger tank wherein you are not going to do sufficient water changes. If you want to be successful with discus, you need to get them into a larger tank AND do the water changes necessary to support their growth and health.
I am concerned because if changing water is a problem even at this stage of the game, either because of the cost in time or the cost in water, it's important to understand that the demands for both continue to get bigger as the fish continue to grow the first year or 18 months at least--the archives in the beginners section regarding grow out and adult maintenance of discus should give you all the information you need to make an informed decision on whether this is the hobby for you.
I intend no disrespect and it is a reasonable question you have asked, but these are my thoughts.
Best regards to you,
Harriett

Skip
06-11-2012, 03:02 PM
i had 13 in a 30 to growout.. but it go to a point.. they needed more space.. be aware..

joe1225us
06-12-2012, 12:20 PM
Joe,
I can tell you that 5 2"ers in a 10g with a 50-100% change daily is too small and too dense; the juvies will not do as well as they will with double or triple the space; they need to go into a larger tank. If I am reading your note correctly, you are stating that you either keep them in an inadequately small tank or move them into a larger tank wherein you are not going to do sufficient water changes. If you want to be successful with discus, you need to get them into a larger tank AND do the water changes necessary to support their growth and health.
I am concerned because if changing water is a problem even at this stage of the game, either because of the cost in time or the cost in water, it's important to understand that the demands for both continue to get bigger as the fish continue to grow the first year or 18 months at least--the archives in the beginners section regarding grow out and adult maintenance of discus should give you all the information you need to make an informed decision on whether this is the hobby for you.

Harriett

With all due respect, I don't know where you got the idea that water changes are a problem. I merley pointed out the obvious, that the smaller the tank the easier and therefore more likey water changes are. And the question was, ' is there any major advantage to a large tank other than water quality', assuming that the fish have room to swim etc. And I havent gotten an answer to that yet.

Skip
06-12-2012, 12:48 PM
With all due respect, I don't know where you got the idea that water changes are a problem. I merley pointed out the obvious, that the smaller the tank the easier and therefore more likey water changes are. And the question was, ' is there any major advantage to a large tank other than water quality', assuming that the fish have room to swim etc. And I havent gotten an answer to that yet.

yes.. more fish.. cuz you will never have enough room for all the fish you want.. :)