PDA

View Full Version : Wannabe discus owner

Kirasan1900
06-12-2012, 03:37 PM
Hey everybody,
I'm really glad I was able to find this site it has so much great information. Right now I have a 15 gallon with plates, a guppie, a female betta, and 7 cories. This tank has been up and running for 4 years though the oldest fish in there I believe is 3 years. But I am going to be moving in the next month or so and I have gotten my hands on a beautiful 100 gallon corner tank and the first fish that popped into my mind were discus.
I've read most of the caring information you all have provided on this site, but some things I am not familiar with. Like the reverse osmosis and sponge filters.
So could some one explain these to me and maybe any other useful information
Sorry if my question is too broad. Haha

Kirasan1900
06-12-2012, 03:40 PM
Also how expensive is it to keep your fish happy and healthy? Minus like water and electric bills

nabilbb
06-12-2012, 03:43 PM
Welcome to SD
RO water ussualy is the water that is softer than the tab water. you need this if you want to breed, otherwise you don't need it at all. any water that is available to you is fine as long as the parameters are stable

Sponge filter is like any filter but again it is not a must. but prefered because it holds the beneficial Bacteria inside. and also helps in faster cycling a new tank

Kirasan1900
06-12-2012, 03:44 PM
Thank you nab :)

nabilbb
06-12-2012, 03:44 PM
Also how expensive is it to keep your fish happy and healthy? Minus like water and electric bills

your warter bill will be a bit high the most important thing with Discus is water quality and frequent water change is a must

brianyam
06-12-2012, 04:10 PM
Just what I have seen, unless your planning to feed beef heart, you don't need to change water daily. If you got good filteration and don't over stock, 1-2 times a week is fine. You don't need RO unless your going to try breeding, and discus still breed in non RO water anyways. WC of course don't hurt, just what it practical for your other needs (kids, wife, job). Discus are very adapable fish. I have Wilds, and within their 2nd week they were almost eating out of my hand. Not even scared when I am cleaning the tank, picking away at the stuff I am trying to suck. By the 3rd week, they were already trying to breed. You don't have that with catfish, plecos and some monster type fish. Good luck.

nabilbb
06-12-2012, 04:25 PM
When it comes to WC every person is different some do it everyday and some every week. I do it 2 or 3 times a week
Discus still breed in Hard water but with very low firtile rate. the water must be soft in order for the eggs to be fertlized

aquaworks1
06-12-2012, 05:57 PM
You don't really need a Reverse Osmosis unit unless you intend to breed your discus.Sponge filters are really easy to use and work really well.You can buy Hydrosponge Sponge Filters off Amazon,they work great for Mechanical and Biological Filtration.You just need an Air Pump to Drive them.There a really Cheap and Practical option.

DerekFF
06-12-2012, 06:46 PM
You don't really need a Reverse Osmosis unit unless you intend to breed your discus.

You dont need them at all unless you have liquid rock from a well or something. Im just throwing out a number, but id say that 75-80% of the forum users here can breed fish just fine in tap water

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Trier20
06-13-2012, 02:21 AM
Initial cost is the worse I think. Tanks fish lighting air pumps etc. I use sponge filters in mine. They are much easier to use and clean and shows you your true water quality, meaning it doesn't hide food and poo from the tank. I do WC's daily of 50%. Like nab said everyone has their own routine. Good luck!

Poco
06-14-2012, 03:25 PM
No need for an RO system. Sponge and hang-on-back filters are quite popular here and they are less cheap compared to canister filters.