PDA

View Full Version : Moving juvies to new tank

tbird22771
06-13-2012, 08:25 AM
I am getting ready to move my group of 5 juvies (guess they are actually sub adults now) to their new tank. They are currently in a 30g bb with a hob that is filled with mostly bio media and has a sponge on the intake. My water change schedule is 50% am and 100% nightly daily. They are now at the 4" mark, so I have a 90g that I bought used and sterilized that is set up with a canister filter, a little bit of drift wood and a very thin layer of sand. I'm trying to figure what would be the best plan for the new tank. Should I just take their filter media and put it in the canister on the new tank? Should I also use stability? Should I just put their hob on the 90g and let it run for a while in addition to the canister? Is 50-60% wc daily on the 90 adequate? they are still growing at a rapid rate and I really want to be sure they reach their full potential. I've just moved media with other fish in the past and never had an issue, but I'm kinda paranoid with my discus lol.

Thanks in advance,
Tracey

Lenin
06-13-2012, 11:28 AM
Seems like you have done a great job, personally I wouldn't move them until they've past their fast growth phase, I also would of done a fishless cycle on the 90g before I place them in there, I don't think you want the tank to go into a minicycle. If I was you and wanted to place them now in the 90 I would take the media on the HOB and place it in the canister, I would also take the sponge and squeeze it in the 90g to get some of that beneficial bacteria to start populating the tank.

tbird22771
06-13-2012, 07:28 PM
Thanks Lenin,
I think I will leave them where they are at for the time being and just go ahead and do a fishless cycle on the 90. Which is what I had wanted to do but between crazy hours at work, a bunch of setbacks on getting the 90 set up, and keeping up with wc it has taken way longer then I had planned to get it filled with water lol. They don't seem stressed in the 30 and are still growing well so do you think they will be okay there for the next several weeks while the tank cycles? I do have some seeded media I can put in the 90 while doing the fishless cycle so it should help it move along.

Lenin
06-13-2012, 09:00 PM
Sounds like a plan, with the water changes you're doing you don't have to worry about them being longer in that 30

tbird22771
07-15-2012, 08:33 PM
So I moved these guys over to the 90g a few days ago and they seem pretty happy!

strawberryblonde
07-15-2012, 08:38 PM
They look great Tbird! Nice job of raising them. =)

Second Hand Pat
07-15-2012, 08:42 PM
Tracey, looks like your babies are liking their new home. :D
Pat

tbird22771
07-15-2012, 10:27 PM
Thanks Strawberry :)

Pat,
They do seem really happy in there, it was really neat to watch them play in the sand for the first time and how they love the driftwood lol. The 90g is in my florida room and although I have a light for the tank for the time being I have opted against it since they get so much natural light and they just seem so flipping happy. I figure in the light can wait till the late fall when the days get shorter. Another thing is that I have learned discus have amazing eyesight -they can see into the house through the french doors (even though their tank is on the other side of the florida room) and whenever somebody gets near the doors in the living room they start begging for food, my husband thinks that is the funniest thing.
Tracey