PDA

View Full Version : Painting back and sides of tanks... thoughts?

Tobrienne
06-13-2012, 03:40 PM
Hey guys!

I've got some basic acrylic black craft paint that I would like to use to paint the backs and sides of my discus tank.. I also have basic black wall paint for my walls that I was considering using as well because there is more. Is there a particular type of paint I can use for this or is any type fine? I wasn't sure toxins would seep thru glass?

Love to hear your thoughts on it!

Skip
06-13-2012, 03:51 PM
black is bad..

makes discus colors turn dark and pb pepper more

Tobrienne
06-13-2012, 04:00 PM
Oh! I didn't know that.. well I do have other colours.. any suggestions?? I've got a malboro red and silver pigeon blood discus so whatever enhances their colours while offering privacy is ideal :)

Skip
06-13-2012, 04:02 PM
any pastel colors are good..

lighting is important to bring out colors.. but that is another thread..

Trevor W
06-13-2012, 04:05 PM
You will not have to worry about toxins seeping through glass, I would personally advise the use of a spray paint such as Krylon Fusion and just clean the surface before. You will be happier with the coverage and it will stop the numerous coats needed to hide brush strokes or other imperfections. I usually spray on 2 light coats and I am good to go. You can just mask off the trim and cover the top (open part) of tank with paper or I have also just sprayed my tanks upside down on a piece of cardboard to eliminate the overspray from going in the tank. And as Skip had mentioned do yourself a favour and avoid using black. Black maybe good in the wild but for your home viewing pleasure your going to want something lighter, look at even a light green or blue or tan or just go with the ever popular white. All depends on taste and the purpose of the tank i.e showtank vs fishroom/growout tank. HTH

Tobrienne
06-13-2012, 04:14 PM
any pastel colors are good..

lighting is important to bring out colors.. but that is another thread..

I've got a Glo Power-Glo
18"/46cm 15W T8

If that helps? lol it's a bluish tinge to it.. I really like it

Tobrienne
06-13-2012, 04:58 PM
So I did my empty tank's bottom a "burnt umber" which is like a reddish sand colour and the back is a lake blue. Of course it is streaky as h3ll because I used my paints instead of spray paint but I am hoping a few coats will even it out a little bit :) Regardless if it is brushy/streaky it will add to the water effect :D lol

Lets hope this looks good lmfao

Any suggestions on how to remove it if I dont like it? LOL

Skip
06-13-2012, 05:00 PM
razor blade scraper

Bill63SG
06-13-2012, 05:09 PM
Thats why I like using a latex.Comes off easy when you change the color,and you will.

Tobrienne
06-13-2012, 05:27 PM
First coat is dry and looking good so far!! :D

kent1963
06-13-2012, 06:17 PM
If you use non spray paint use a small roller it will cover much better. I used spray paint for years but it really sucks to remove.Regular wall paint comes off glass very easily.

dprais1
06-13-2012, 07:01 PM
If you use non spray paint use a small roller it will cover much better. I used spray paint for years but it really sucks to remove.Regular wall paint comes off glass very easily.

+1. put on two or three coats and you'll never notice any imperfections. I painted my tank back and sides when the tank was full. its almost idiot proof method. spray paint is a pita--but it does work as well

Trevor W
06-14-2012, 10:59 AM
I agree with changing colours being a PITA sometimes, I have never used latex and a roller sounds like a good idea. I have been lately just covering my tanks with poster board cheap, easy, quick and all sorts of colours to choose from. Yet another reason why I love this forum, the endless experiences and ideas from a great group of members!

Tobrienne
06-14-2012, 11:53 AM
Well it is done and dry and I already hate it lol...... I wanted it to look like really cool!!

It's just... sooo sexy lol I cant describe it!! I'm sure it has to do with lighting as well and I have a blue light too I plan to put on top but its not like super blue its tinged.

I am beginning to think this thread should go in like the show tanks category.. sorry mods!

dprais1
06-14-2012, 05:43 PM
you have funny shaped discus

Tobrienne
06-17-2012, 02:33 AM
you have funny shaped discus

i mean to say I wanted it to look like that picture but it didnt lol my bad!

shoveltrash
06-17-2012, 07:11 AM
I like the background color in the pic...........but please, don't use blue gravel! :crazy:
can't wait to see the final project! I'm still wanting to paint mine, but am chicken :D

nc0gnet0
06-17-2012, 08:46 AM

Best way to accomplish the task at hand is to not paint the tank at all. Your much better of getting yourself a sheet or two of white fiberglass cieling tile material (or something simular) and painting that, then, after dry, secure it to the tank with some clear adhesive tape. Then If you don't like it or wish to change it in the future, removal takes all of 5 seconds.