PDA

View Full Version : Chicken breast vs. Beef heart

Tucciim
06-13-2012, 07:40 PM
Given the nutritional value of chicken breast vs beef heart why isn't chicken breast the protein of choice for discus?

A 1oz portion of beef heart had 1.1g of fat and 5g of protein.

A 1oz portion of skinless chicken breast had .9g of fat and 6.5g of protein.

dprais1
06-13-2012, 07:42 PM
trim the beefheart really well then remeasure the fat and protein content. your current figures do not reflect trimmed beefheart is my guess.

moon_knight1971
06-13-2012, 08:33 PM
Does the meat have to be put through a blender or a processor? If the pieces are small enough can it be grinded up in a blender if you do not have a food processor?

LizStreithorst
06-13-2012, 09:07 PM
I don't know the answer to that. Discus people seem to be in love with beefheart. I've been feeding 99% fat free turkey breast for several years. I find it preground at the supermarket. It's great and it's easy. I've posted this before. No one ever picks up on it.

JenTN
06-13-2012, 09:09 PM
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=94394

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=69079

TNT77
06-13-2012, 09:09 PM
I don't know the answer to that. Discus people seem to be in love with beefheart. I've been feeding 99% fat free turkey breast for several years. I find it preground at the supermarket. It's great and it's easy. I've posted this before. No one ever picks up on it.
Mama bear speaks and I listen. :) I use 99% fat free turkey in my frozen mix and have exceptional results.

dprais1
06-13-2012, 09:10 PM
Josie also uses turkey and I did as well. Great alternative for people that don't believe in using cow as food. I use beefheart flake now but don't tell my wife.

JenTN
06-13-2012, 09:10 PM

I have :-p , in fact I've been marinating on it since I read it. Gonna try it as soon as bh runs out.

JenTN
06-13-2012, 09:13 PM
Also I think Dr. Axelrod mentioned using poultry but dont quote me on it. Gonna have to dig it up.

LizStreithorst
06-13-2012, 09:43 PM
Thanks for the compliment, Tara. Mama bears speak the truth.

ktm4us6
06-13-2012, 09:58 PM
I have 15 chickens in the pen, but if I start using them my kids will get pretty mad, Plus there goes my protein in the morning. lol.

LizStreithorst
06-13-2012, 10:07 PM
What kind of chickens do you keep? I have none at the moment but I'm very partial to Buff Brahams. I've never kept them, but I liked the Light Brhamas I used to have. I just like the look of the Buffs better.

ktm4us6
06-13-2012, 11:00 PM
All I know is they put out large white eggs. The wife also bought some special breeds that look really neat, (big puff on head and feet are all covered with feathers too). Maybe I should be checking out a chicken forum huh.

JenTN
06-13-2012, 11:15 PM
I hope to get chickens in a couple years...but for eggs not killin'.,I love farm fresh eggs but my source moved away last year...used to get a dozen for a dollar. Totally different from the crap that passes for eggs in the stores!

ktm4us6
06-13-2012, 11:37 PM
I can say I wasn't up for the idea, but wife and kids talked me into it. I guess you can say I'm farmer Eric now. The eggs are good, even the real little ones the special breeds lay. I'm going to try feeding chicken, sounds like a great idea. I'm still learning with discus, and glad I joined this forum. Learning everyday.

DerekFF
06-13-2012, 11:45 PM
Cost

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

ktm4us6
06-14-2012, 12:00 AM
Lol Derek, This hobby isn't cheap to begin with, but I get your point.:D

magewynd
06-14-2012, 12:13 AM
Liz, as an experienced breeder how would you rate or compare your grow-out success with the T breast vs using beefheart. The same, less growth, better growth? I am thinking for myself that the fry and juvies need some kind of meat protein that they can digest and assimilate wether it be BH, T breast, seafood, or even some form of blackworms. I am feeding BH flake but I am not sure yet if I am getting the size or bulk I would from using the others.
Steve

LizStreithorst
06-14-2012, 08:26 AM
I would say it's about the same. The ground turkey breast isn't as messy as beefheart in the tanks.

Skip
06-14-2012, 09:14 AM
i have seen LIZ growouts!! AMAZING!!

if turkey works!! i am down..

liz.. whats the recipe!

i can head over to WHOLE FOODS and get FREE RANGE, ORGANIC, PASTURE RAISED SUNBLOCK USING, NO SMOKING,< NO DRINKING, ALL NATURAL, NO SILICON TURKEY BREAST!!

dpete9
06-14-2012, 10:19 AM

liz.. whats the recipe!

i can head over to WHOLE FOODS and get FREE RANGE, ORGANIC, PASTURE RAISED SUNBLOCK USING, NO SMOKING,< NO DRINKING, ALL NATURAL, NO SILICON TURKEY BREAST!!

LOL.. those turkey with silicon breast implants just aren't very tasty

JenTN
06-14-2012, 10:25 AM
LOL.. those turkey with silicon breast implants just aren't very tasty

But they look great on a pole

Skip
06-14-2012, 10:34 AM
Silicon is a great BINDER

LizStreithorst
06-14-2012, 10:38 AM
I've fed it just straight, I've added shrimp powder and nori power, I've added progrowth and promore. Add whatever rings yyour bell.

Skip
06-14-2012, 10:49 AM
I've fed it just straight, I've added shrimp powder and nori power, I've added progrowth and promore. Add whatever rings yyour bell.

really.. STR8??

magewynd
06-14-2012, 01:28 PM
Hey Skip & Liz,
Are there any pics of the growouts on Simply? Links?
Thanks

liz.. whats the recipe!

LizStreithorst
06-14-2012, 01:38 PM
really

Skip
06-14-2012, 02:12 PM
Hey Skip & Liz,
Are there any pics of the growouts on Simply? Links?
Thanks

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?87252-BD-Juvies-for-sale-Hattiesburg-MS&highlight=

Skip
06-14-2012, 02:12 PM
really

10-4!
is that what you still do!!

LizStreithorst
06-14-2012, 02:30 PM
Right now just nori powder and shrimp powder. I feed lots of other stuff, too. They get the turkey breast once daily. The brand is Jenny-0. I buy the 99% fat free.

magewynd
06-14-2012, 04:47 PM
Thanks, Skip.
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?87252-BD-Juvies-for-sale-Hattiesburg-MS&highlight=

magewynd
06-14-2012, 04:50 PM
Liz, what is the shrimp powder? Is that something I can do with dried shrimp in the coffee grinder?

Right now just nori powder and shrimp powder. I feed lots of other stuff, too. They get the turkey breast once daily. The brand is Jenny-0. I buy the 99% fat free.

LizStreithorst
06-14-2012, 05:15 PM
I got the shrimp powder from a friend with connections in Asia. It's a fine powder, the fish like the flavor. I don't see why you couldn't make it an a coffee grinder as long as you can grind it into a fine powder. Don't know for sure. Never tried.

yim11
06-14-2012, 07:57 PM
Liz, what is the shrimp powder? Is that something I can do with dried shrimp in the coffee grinder?

Buy krill or krill meal.

Ehup
06-15-2012, 02:57 AM
Dex I work in a turkey plant and your right but we call it MST mechanically separated turkey.

LizStreithorst
06-15-2012, 08:21 AM
In the food processing business there is such a thing such as

what they call MDM chicken. - mechanically deboned chicken.
Has anyone tried it for discus?

It is already pulverized.
I think the last time i saw a package, it came from south america like brazil or something.

Dex, The only thing I would worry about is the fat content. It would say on the label. I know that chicken is naturally lean, but the ground Turkey breast that I buy comes in versions that are 90%, 97%, and 99% fat free. I buy the 99%. If they debone an entire chicken and grind it up I'm afraid it might be too high in fat.

mmorris
06-15-2012, 08:36 AM
I guess I don't read enough - or in the right sections. I hadn't run into the chicken breast idea but I'm going to try it. I'd love to raise chickens but I'm stretched pretty thin as it is. Besides, every two weeks I put an empty egg carton out on the porch with two dollars in it, and the neighbors come and fill it. It's hard to justify getting my own chickens unless I was raising them to eat.

Alight
06-26-2012, 08:31 PM
I've been using Turkey and Chicken Breast for the past several month, using whole, skinnless chicken and turkey breast. I'm using the salad shooter per Carole's beef heart receipe to take this to nice, wormed shaped shavings for the fish. I've been using this for the past 3 months. Tried lean beef and veal and whole shelled and devened frozen shrimp, also using the shooter technique. The fish seem to prefer the chicken and turkey. Next best the veal, and last the shrimp. I think there was a bad shrimp in the last lot, as the fish seem to be off the shrimp after really liking the batch before. I use all three each day to vary their diet. Still feed one meal of tetra bits soaked in vitamins each day to round it out.

Used this to grow out 9 Discus, and it is working really well. Better than the blood worms and tetra bits I used before (I'm now so allergic to the blood worms I just can't feed them that any more. The freeze dried black worms are a great treat, too. Got some from Kenny when he sent the fish, and got some more from Al. Great stuff. Also, just got some of the great deal from Dan California Blackworm Special (120 grams of our Freeze Dried California Blackworm Flats at $ 38.99 Delivery Included http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumd...sno-California). Look to the bottom of his page for this one. Discus seem to like the black worms better than anything I've ever tried. But need the other food as staples.

Al Light

nc0gnet0
06-27-2012, 01:35 AM
Most of the mechanically deboned (or seperated ) chicken/turkey still has the carcass in the mix. True that the "hard" bones (legs, thighs, wings) have been removed, but the softer bones (rib cage etc) are still in the mix. At least it is for the meat they use in sausage, hotdogs, etc.

dpete9
11-21-2012, 08:09 AM
Sale at one of the grocery stores here. boneless, skinless chicken breast 4.98 per kilo. 2.25 a pound?? About the same price I have to pay for unprocessed beef heart. I think I'm going to give this a try, mixed with some seafood.

Curt
11-26-2012, 03:40 PM
Ok guys I am new to the Whole makeing my own mix for fish, Do I need to cook the meat first or do I feed it raw? I want to try Turkey or Chicken with my fish to see what happens.

Curt

bogia99
11-26-2012, 04:57 PM
Ok guys I am new to the Whole makeing my own mix for fish, Do I need to cook the meat first or do I feed it raw? I want to try Turkey or Chicken with my fish to see what happens.

Curt

Raw ... just mince them meat first and give your fishes a try before you go all out with other added stuff. I used to make big batches and ended up feeding the .... cat :)

SaucyKP
12-14-2012, 11:38 PM
I know that with eating raw poultry humans run the risk, however small, of ingesting salmonella or Campylobacter. Is that not the case with discus? Are animals immune in general? I know it is not life threatening in most cases, but constant feedings of the bacteria can't be good can it? I have no scientific knowledge for any of my notions, so I'm just curious if anybody else has any to share.

seanyuki
12-15-2012, 12:21 AM
I also use minced turkey breasts regularly and less hassle than trimming the fat and veins from the BH.

Turkey breast with shrimp powder,calcium powder and Pro More.....simple recipe

bonginator
12-15-2012, 12:43 AM

I picked up on it (-; I have been feeding it to my discus and they chow down on it. I just freeze the ground turkey and then run it over a cheese grater at feeding time to make bite sized pieces and they eat it up. So glad you alerted me to this. It is so easy...

Tommy Saville
12-15-2012, 08:05 PM
I'm in England. My local supermarket sells ground turkey meat; would I need to grind it even smaller? And what do you add to it?

seanyuki
12-15-2012, 11:59 PM
imo grin them once or twice in a food processor .......may add flakes/pallets,seafood,vitamins of yr choice.....there's no one fixed/best formula in homemade recipe for discus.

I'm in England. My local supermarket sells ground turkey meat; would I need to grind it even smaller? And what do you add to it?

quaternotetriplet
01-14-2013, 01:44 AM
hi I'm new here, i made my chicken breast mix this morning. consists chicken, tetraflakes, tetra bits and banana. And my discus fry went nuts. Is my mix alright or do i need to add something else?

josh,