PDA

View Full Version : I'm Excited!

Donno
06-15-2012, 06:36 PM
After a couple of months of reading and learning everything I can about Discus I finally broke down and ordered 7 from Hans. They'll be here Tuesday. Initially they'll be in a 50 gallon BB tank. Other than daily water changes can anyone give me any suggestions on how to succeed?

Poco
06-15-2012, 11:58 PM
What size did you order?

Check water parameters regularly, do not overfeed, always QT new fish before adding to the current tank.

Good Luck!

Trier20
06-16-2012, 01:03 AM
+1 to what size did you order?
Soon you will need a larger tank when they get to adult size.

Donno
06-16-2012, 05:36 PM
I bought 3". I initially was going to order 4" but after debating the cost premium I went with the 3". My tank is new and has been cycled so I think I'll be ok. I'll test the water on a regular basis.

I plan on buying a 120-150 gallon tank from glass cages in the next month or so for a display tank. Since I live in TN they are only a couple of hour drive away.

Being an engineer I always plan like hell and this certainly wasn't an impulse purchase.

JenTN
06-16-2012, 06:33 PM
Congrats! I'm in Knoxville :-) Mine are from Hans, I love them!!!! So much that I ordered a pair after I got my juvies. My only complaint with Hans is that he has turned a hobby into an addiction lol.

Donno
06-16-2012, 06:47 PM
Congrats! I'm in Knoxville :-) Mine are from Hans, I love them!!!! So much that I ordered a pair after I got my juvies. My only complaint with Hans is that he has turned a hobby into an addiction lol.

We're neighbors, I live in Maryville.

I understand the addiction part, I've probably spent $1000 in getting prepared to have Discus. I want everything just right and I think I'm prepared.

ktm4us6
06-16-2012, 07:21 PM
I can't wait to see pics of your new discus when you get them. One of the things I have learned is aging my water, my discus seem to be much more at home after I started.

DonMD
06-16-2012, 08:46 PM
Sounds to me like you don't need any advice, you're well prepared and informed. Post pics once the fish are acclimated. Good luck!

Donno
06-19-2012, 05:07 PM
I got my shipment in today and one of the bags was leaking. The outside of the cardboard was wet and I somewhat panicked . On inspection most were okay, but there was one bag that had about half of the water that the rest of them did and neither of the fish seemed very active. After acclimating them one of the fish seemed to be very lethargic and he has stayed away from the school. At first he stayed on the opposite side of the tank from the rest and also laid on his side for a while. Several hours later he is still floating close to the top of the tank and is separated from the rest of the school. Occasionally he will join them when they swim to his side, almost like they are checking on him.

What should I do if anything? My water parameters are perfect, at least the ones I can check.

nabilbb
06-19-2012, 05:33 PM
I say just leave him alone, turn thr light off and he will be ok as long as you don't see any signs of physical sickness on him

DonMD
06-19-2012, 05:36 PM
If the shipping container was wet and leaking, you should immediately call Hans. He will want to know. Also, if the fish was compromised, just give it time. No meds, and be VERY patient. Time, and good clean water, will heal all.

I got my shipment in today and one of the bags was leaking. The outside of the cardboard was wet and I somewhat panicked . On inspection most were okay, but there was one bag that had about half of the water that the rest of them did and neither of the fish seemed very active. After acclimating them one of the fish seemed to be very lethargic and he has stayed away from the school. At first he stayed on the opposite side of the tank from the rest and also laid on his side for a while. Several hours later he is still floating close to the top of the tank and is separated from the rest of the school. Occasionally he will join them when they swim to his side, almost like they are checking on him.

What should I do if anything? My water parameters are perfect, at least the ones I can check.

Donno
06-19-2012, 06:01 PM
If the shipping container was wet and leaking, you should immediately call Hans. He will want to know. Also, if the fish was compromised, just give it time. No meds, and be VERY patient. Time, and good clean water, will heal all.

Hans called me a few hours after they arrived and i told him about the condition of the box and fish. He didn't seem too concerned as long as the fish were in water he thought that they would be okay. The poor little loner has once again joined the group as I type this. He's not very active, but the other fish seem to try and nurture him. Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part.

jnguye26
06-19-2012, 11:02 PM
I'm setting up for a 50 gal discus tank as well, hope things go well for you and your discus. Also I would like to see pictures!

DiscusDrew
06-19-2012, 11:54 PM
He will be just fine, time will heal. My last shipment the bag leaked and the fish was not even entirely covered in water any longer. Took a day or three for my guy to perk up but he definitely did and eats like a pig. I completely agree with Don's advice.

Donno
06-20-2012, 04:42 PM
All is good with my lethargic Discus. He has joined the school and actually is somewhat of a bully. Although he isn't the largest, he definitely disciplines the others.

DonMD
06-20-2012, 05:52 PM
Glad to hear it. Enjoy.

Donno
06-20-2012, 06:38 PM
I suppose I over reacted. Thanks for the positive comments to just wait. These guys eat like pigs now that they are getting used to their surroundings.

ktm4us6
06-23-2012, 12:18 AM
Glad things are ok, and best of luck with your new discus.