PDA

View Full Version : Confused

thieo
06-16-2012, 08:25 PM
Hello, I am new to discus and have a question about water.
My Alkalinity is 25 ppm
My harness is 52 ppm
My ph i have adjusted to 7.1
As long as i don,t want to try and have the fish breed, can i keep discus healthy ?
my nitrates are 0.26
ORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR do i need an RO unit to make my water softer ?
I Age my water in a 55 gal plastic storage drum.

xxbenjamminxx
06-17-2012, 12:20 AM
Your fine for keeping discus without doing anything to your water. You may even have surprisingly good result with breeding if you ever tried it out. Most discus (minus wilds) can be kept in almost any water conditions. Its my understanding that the harder water just inhibits the eggs from hatching due to calcification (??? if thats the right word) and as soon as the eggs hatch and are wigglers its fine to go back to using harder water for grow out. There is a thread here about growing out juvies is RO waste water which is WAAAAY harder then the parameters you posted. Hope that helps you out some.

CrazyAngels
06-17-2012, 02:03 AM
Something here does bother me though, as you say you have adjusted your PH... Why are you adjusting your PH??? or do you mean that is the PH after you have naturally aged your water??

Personally I do nothing with my PH for just keeping discus.

Hello, I am new to discus and have a question about water.
My Alkalinity is 25 ppm
My harness is 52 ppm
My ph i have adjusted to 7.1
As long as i don,t want to try and have the fish breed, can i keep discus healthy ?
my nitrates are 0.26
ORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR do i need an RO unit to make my water softer ?
I Age my water in a 55 gal plastic storage drum.

thieo
06-17-2012, 03:31 AM
My PH out of the tap is 9.8 After 24 hrs in a storage drum with airation it settes in at 8.1

xxbenjamminxx
06-17-2012, 12:23 PM
For me personally I would just let it be and try that. There are plenty of people keeping discus with a PH of 8+. The more you mess with things the harder it is to keep them stable. JMHO of course. Good luck.

CrazyAngels
06-17-2012, 11:17 PM
I completely agree, age your water and do anything else to it. The PH at 8 or so is just fine..

romann
06-18-2012, 08:34 AM
guys you right when I was to worry about the water I mess things up and I decide to just do my W/C every day things getting better.good chance