View Full Version : Glasscages, a great place to buy a tank.

Elliots
06-17-2012, 05:18 PM
I just received my tank from Glasscages. There are reviews on the internet saying not to use them. All those postings are a couple of years old. A few people on this site say no problem. As people may know bad news travels fast, good news does not travel. People tend to post complaints on the internet and very few compliments.
The customer service was great. Any emails I sent were answered very quickly. When I called them they were very helpful. This is the first time I purchased an aquarium in almost 40 years. I would rate them 10 out of 10. The tank arrived on time as promised. It is great. There is a little silicone flash I removed. The top re-enforcement glass was not stuck together so beautifully. It consists of two layers of glass and the sealant between the sheets shows in the corners. It is very noticeable if you look down thru the top of the tank in the corners or look up from the bottom of the tank thru the top. It is invisible from the front of the tank. My 60X24X25 tank with 3 sides Starfire (Low iron) glass and 2 glass covers was $1015 delivered to White Plains, NY. I had it delivered to my apartment in Manhattan at my expense. The next lowest price I received was either $2200 or maybe $1900.
All I can say is great people, great service and great prices. I would never consider doing business with anyone else. They are not a small company turning out tanks in their basement. They have their own 18 wheel truck doing deliveries.
The only advice I would give someone buying from them is be careful of the tank height you order. Because their prices are so low you might want to buy a bigger tank than if you ordered it elsewhere. If the tank is, say 31" high, you will have difficulty reaching the bottom to clean. Also make sure you buy glass tank covers with your new tank. Due to their re-enforcements across the top it would be difficult to get a good fit with covers bought after the sale.

Floppy Fin's
06-17-2012, 05:54 PM
Good post.. I too shopped at GlassCages, and almost bought a 120 gallon. I may do so this fall. I had local tank available that covered my needs for the present. I second your opinions.. Remember to get a freight check cost as well.
FF

Elliots
06-17-2012, 06:22 PM
My freight was $120 to White Plains, NY. To deliver my tank to my apartment and carry it up two flights of stairs was expensive but I did not want to shop around for a delivery company because the one I used had experience with aquariums. They were recommended by my LFS. I did not want problems so I paid a little more.
No one probably knows this, Glasscages will make you any custom size you want at essentially no charge. I had to decide between 25 or 31 inch heights as listed in their price list. I also considered a non-listed heigh of 28 inches. The 28 inch height would have been exactly the same price as the 31 inch height, no additional charge for a special height. I believe all their tanks are made to order, they carry very little or no inventory. So you pay for the slightly larger size and they'll customize smaller at no charge.

rubinsteinnyc
06-17-2012, 06:33 PM
how much a styrofoam are you putting underneath it sir? and WHEN are you testing it out :) ?

Elliots
06-17-2012, 06:38 PM
Half an inch styrofoam. I decided not to get plywood also. When should I test it out? The Glasscages driver said Wednesday
would be OK. I have emailed Glasscages to get their opinion. Rubin, what do you think? I think I'll start a thread on "Discussion" for opinions. I wouldn't want to fill it too soon, I'd hate to ruin the tank.

rubinsteinnyc
06-17-2012, 06:44 PM
when was it put together??? if you fill it out too late, the silicone might become brittle and give under water pressure, that's what i heard from one of the guru's making 400g+ all glass aquariums on one of polish aquarium making forums. Yours is not that big of a volume... hell, 3-4 for silicone to dry and bind is enough in my opinion. The tanks i made with my friend were 150g, all glass i think he tested them out 4 days after making it, i wouldn't listen to the driver (if he is indeed a driver only), call them up and talk to the maker.
Please check your inbox :)

Elliots
06-17-2012, 06:46 PM
Tank was manufactured last week or the week before.

rubinsteinnyc
06-17-2012, 06:49 PM
if that's the case, if i were you i'd be half way filling it up sipping on some cold hoegaarden with my fingers crossed :)

have you read my message in your inbox?

Brent1972
06-17-2012, 07:01 PM
It takes 48 hours for silicone to cure but I leave 72 hours before filling , sounds like you are good to go .

rubinsteinnyc
06-17-2012, 07:03 PM
let it flow, ill bring the beers :)

Elliots
06-17-2012, 07:08 PM
Rubin, I read your message and responded. Thanks for your advice but I have different taste in Discus than most people on SD.

rubinsteinnyc
06-17-2012, 07:15 PM
i totally understand sir. I too plan on getting some heckels into a tank with sand, wood and lotus plants, in a dark water with LEDs :) whatever melts your chocolate

Elliots
06-17-2012, 07:19 PM
I went for fluorescents with moon lights. I think I'll have some characters that like to come out at night. (Loaches)

Donno
06-17-2012, 08:09 PM
This is good info. I plan on buying a new 120-150 gallon tank within the next month and glass cages is in my back yard and who I planned on buying it from.

Did you buy a stand from them also?

Elliots
06-17-2012, 08:29 PM
Donno, I did not buy the stand from them because I have a tiny apartment and I needed the space under the metal stand for an Eheim and a hospital tank. Their wooden stands are very nice but they give a more closed view of what is going on underneath the tank. That is not what I want but it is probably better for most people to hide the filters and supplies.
The driver of their delivery truck said they now make metal stands too but I have not seen them yet on their web site. I bought a 150g with 24" width so the fish can also have room to swim from front to back as well as side to side. I will also have an unplanted area in the front of the tank to make it easier to siphon out uneaten food and debris. I also want an planted area because some schooling fish like to swim in the open spaces.

les2011
06-17-2012, 10:35 PM
I've been a fan of GC's for some time, I've even had the honor of meeting the owner when they came down last year to the reptile show here in Tampa, FL. That's when they make there deliveries down here each year is the Repticon Reptile show. I'm looking to get the 240 long in the near future, I actually have the wall space for the 340 but the wife is putting up a defense about a tank of that size in her (our) living room. LoL

Discus-Hans
06-18-2012, 02:32 AM
I think it's pretty well know that all my tanks come from Glasscages, Beth is a gem to work with. And I got "some" tanks from them, total 2 + truck loads

Hans

Elliots
06-18-2012, 06:37 AM
That is very scary Hans, they sent my tank on an 18 wheeler. They must also have or used to have a smaller truck. If you got two truck loads from this truck you are really crazy! By the way I spoke to Donna.

TURQ64
06-18-2012, 08:27 AM
So why isn't this post in the product review section?? I'll stay out of this fine flag waving....Gary

Elliots
06-18-2012, 09:08 AM
Dear Gary, I posted this under "Tech and do it yourself" section of the forum subheading "Tanks equipment and Supplies" I thought that was the best heading. I thought that was most accurate. Sorry if I was wrong.

Skip
06-18-2012, 09:11 AM
Dear Gary, I posted this under "Tech and do it yourself" section of the forum subheading "Tanks equipment and Supplies" I thought that was the best heading. I thought that was most accurate. Sorry if I was wrong.

posting here allows for discussion.. from people that have bought and those looking to buy..

in REVIEWS>. only first hand experience allowed to post..

Elliots
06-18-2012, 09:23 AM
Thanks Skip, I guess I posted in the right place by accident. I scrolled down Forum and this heading came up before product reviews. I did not know there was a seperate section for product reviews until a few minutes ago.

Skip
06-18-2012, 09:27 AM
Thanks Skip, I guess I posted in the right place by accident. I scrolled down Forum and this heading came up before product reviews. I did not know there was a seperate section for product reviews until a few minutes ago.

yes. the review section is exactly for that.. REVIEWS>. of products/services you have bought or used.. it is not for questions to be asked from people that have NOT used ..
it keeps the clutter down..

but here is different..

i have often wondered about glasscages.. but it looks like its it would not be cost effective for a couple of small tanks.. but if i was looking for a large thank then this would be way to go.. :)

Elliots
06-18-2012, 09:32 AM
Skip, sorry to say this but if you look at their prices they are maybe half what other people charge. I am sorry because you might decide to get bigger tanks. Check their prices on the internet. My tank size was space limited, if you have space go larger.

Skip
06-18-2012, 09:38 AM
nothing beats $1 per gallon from PETCO..

i don't need any tanks above 40 breeder right now.. 75g would be great.. but i am running out of apartment..

but down the road. thats another thing..

i do like the frag tanks.. as SHRIMP Tanks in near future :)

korbi_doc
06-18-2012, 10:19 AM
Can't add much to the above posters, just that I love my tanks from GCs.....At last ACA in Atlanta, bought 2 metal shelving sets that hold over 3000#...then GC made tanks to fit the shelves exactly & they worked out super well..I'm close enough to P/U with my truck & had lotsa help to install....best thing I ever did & now my "fishroom" is complete, lol......if I could just find help to maintain, oh well......

Dottie

Elliots
06-18-2012, 10:57 AM
Skip, as usual you are correct, nothing beats $1 per gallon. If you want larger tanks then what? Many people on this site have larger tanks. Just to bother you someone else on SD wrote "Furniture is over rated." Maybe you need to cull some of your furniture? I culled my dining table and two chairs for my tank. I eat off my coffee table and watch TV. I have trained my girlfriend to do this with me. I am currently eyeing my bookcase for a 48X24X25 tank. I am only thinking now, it hasn't reached the planning stage. Does my using the term "Culled" instead of put into storage mean I have problems?

Skip
06-18-2012, 11:00 AM
nope.. your good!!

LOL

Elliots
06-18-2012, 11:21 AM
Now I know I have problems because that is about what I thought you would say.

nikond70s
06-18-2012, 05:33 PM
glasscage is def your best bang for your bucks and one if not the best pricing when ordering aquarium online. i too have heard bad stories about them. but they must be doing something right to still be in business. for the price and shipping i would def go with glasscage when i want a custom glass tank. only complaints i hear most people saying is how sloppy they silicone the tanks. but thats not really a big problem. as you can carefully cut off the excess silicones.

what kind of discus or fish are you planning to stock this tank with?

Elliots
06-18-2012, 05:51 PM
I like the ones now called "Wilds". Alenquer, Santarem, Tefe, Cupiera and other wild types. I do not actually want wilds at this time as I do not know enough about them other than they are slightly different from tank raised types. I will get 6-10 fish at least 4", probably 5-6". When I am ready I will drive to Hans to pick them out. My tank will be planted (Mostly the back half of the tank) and I will try a large bioload of other fish. I will very closely monitor the water and reduce the bioload if needed.

Elliots
06-18-2012, 06:01 PM
For my other fish definitely Kuhli and Clown loaches. Maybe 15-20 Kuhlis as they are very cute and fun to watch if you have a lot of them and a lot of hiding places. A small school of Cories, maybe 10. Hatchet fish for the top of the tank with Saran wrap to cover the HOB filters and any spaces between the glass tops and the tank so they can't leave me easily. Bunches of tetras, cardinals, rummy nose, lemons, penguins and possibly others. As I said, I'll see how it goes. My Discus will be added all at once after my tank is well established.

Chicago Discus
06-18-2012, 07:07 PM
I just ordered a $hit load of tanks from them I was very satisfied with the tanks the only problem that I have is that they are a little sloppy with the silicone other than that I'm very happy with them....Josie

Elliots
06-18-2012, 08:39 PM
Josie, I agree. My tank is 150g. The whole way around the bottom of my tank is a re-enforcement about 1 3/4 inches wide and 3/8 inch thick. The top is re-enforced on the front and sides by 3" by 3/8" glass. The sides have another piece of glass 1/4" thick and 4' wide under the 3 by 3/8 piece. The left rear of the tank for 25 inches is not re-enforced or capped in black plastic. That is room for filters heaters etc. If you look from the top particularly where there is two layers of re-enforcement there are puddles of silicone between the two glass layers that I cannot trim. I did not study the pictures of your tanks but they are look smaller, I think you once said 75g, and the lack the re-enforcements my larger tank has. The silicone is not going to bother my fish and for my about $1000 savings on one tank I'll live with it.

Elliots
06-18-2012, 08:59 PM
Josie, I rechecked your "Lord help me post" to see on about page 13 the picture of your tank delivery. Your tanks only have the plastic frame cap all around and a bar across the center. My tank has a 5 by 1/4" re-enforcement across the center with another 3 by 1/4" piece on top of that. Your tanks look much neater than mine but I guess the extra re-enforcement is needed. I just noticed the entire back of my tank has a 2 by 3/8" glass strip running the entire 5' length. So, on the front and sides the re-enforcement is parallel to the bottom but the back re-enforcement is perpendicular to the bottom. I would love to remove all the re-enforcement for looks but I would not dare. I wonder what other tank manufacturers do? Does anyone on this site know?

Discus-Hans
06-18-2012, 09:33 PM
My tank has a 5 by 1/4" re-enforcement across the center with another 3 by 1/4" piece on top of that. Your tanks look much neater than mine but I guess the extra re-enforcement is needed. I just noticed the entire back of my tank has a 2 by 3/8" glass strip running the entire 5' length. So, on the front and sides the re-enforcement is parallel to the bottom but the back re-enforcement is perpendicular to the bottom. I would love to remove all the re-enforcement for looks but I would not dare. I wonder what other tank manufacturers do? Does anyone on this site know?

I think a picture of 3 will say more as 1,000 words lol

Hans

gliebig
06-18-2012, 10:09 PM
I ordered a 240 wide from them which cracked - my own fault, the tank was very nice. I re-ordered the same tank and the bracing around the top was completely different. 1st one had no center brace but a reinforced rim around the whole outer. Second tank has a center brace and only reinforced around the back and sides. Very strange. Still can't beat them for the price.

JenTN
06-18-2012, 10:24 PM
I plan to order from them when I go off the deep end like Josie. Lol. Glass cages and Stendkers will make me a happy camper I think.

Skip
06-18-2012, 10:25 PM
the first one was EURO BRACED>>

Elliots
06-19-2012, 06:14 AM
Gliebig, sorry to bring up old wounds but how did you crack a tank that big?

Hans, I am a little strapped for cash due to tank start up expenses, I'll buy a new camera after I get all my supplies. Next on the agenda is an Eheim 2080 and a UV sterilizer. Hopefully, early next month I'll get a camera and then I'll find out how to post pictures.

gliebig
06-19-2012, 09:07 AM
Gliebig, sorry to bring up old wounds but how did you crack a tank that big?

My tank is an in-wall. It took me a while to get motivated to start the project, so I had the tank sitting frontside down in my family room to save space. When I got around to moving it, there was a 15" long crack right across the front.

Elliots
06-19-2012, 09:17 AM
Do you still have the tank? Liz strehorst (I am sure I spelled that wrong) says she replaces glass in her tanks with only silicone cement. I had a recent , yesterday, post about that subject I think in my thread placement of my tank.

gliebig
06-19-2012, 09:39 AM
I sold it to a guy who put a caymen in it. lol.

Boyd Luth
08-01-2012, 05:56 PM
I bought my 160 custom from GlassCages about 3 years ago, and picked it up in Daytona Beach, Fl. Still up and running, never had a problem, and money well spent :-) would use them again, no doubt, Boyd in Sunny Vero Beach.

les2011
08-01-2012, 07:01 PM
Yeah I'm a big tank fan as well, my first tank is a 100 that my wife brought for my birthday that is now my discus breeder tank, my 2nd tank is a 135 I found on craigslist for $65 tank and stand and that's my planted discus show tank, and my next one will be from glasscages and it is the 340 Gal. that measures: 130 x 25 1/2 x 24 1/2 Tall. The wall that my 135 is in front of is were this one will go because it's the exact length of the tank and they deliver direct to Tampa, FL. It took awhile to convince the wife to let me get one that big in the living room, now I'm just saving up for it and I called them and found out I have to build my own stand.