PDA

View Full Version : BBS Hatchery

nabilbb
06-18-2012, 01:41 PM
Hi Every one,
do most of you hatch your own BBS by using DIY Hatchery or you used a certain Hatchery brand?

Thank you

John_Nicholson
06-18-2012, 01:46 PM
A one gallon jar, some rock salt, air, light....there are several threads that have been started on hatching BBS. A search should yield good results.

-john

xxbenjamminxx
06-18-2012, 02:14 PM
Not to hijack but I tried the 1 gal jar and couldnt get a decent hatch rate to save my life. Its like the eggs settled on the bottom but only had an airpump rated for a 10g. Do you have to go way oversize on your pump to make up for the flat bottom rather then the cone shape? I am back to the soda bottle now but would like to not have to make a stand to keep them from tipping.

John_Nicholson
06-18-2012, 02:20 PM
You have to keep the eggs suspended. All of my tanks and BBS jars are running on the same pump.

-john

xxbenjamminxx
06-18-2012, 02:23 PM
Well I will have to try again with a larger pump and see how that works. The one I have seems to be too much for a 2l bottle but not nearly enough for a 1 gal jar. Ohh well another excuse to make another fish related order. :) Thanks John

mmorris
06-23-2012, 10:56 AM
I use two-liter bottles with the top cut off. I put the bottles in a 5 gallon (I think it is) tank with a couple inches of water and heater to keep the temp to around 82 degrees. Air is delivered via the central system but any pump should provide plenty. I hatch twice a day - morning and evening - because it's the yolk, not the bbs, that is nutritious and the bbs use up their yolk pretty quickly. So, I have three bottles in the tank and I rotate them.

Bill63SG
06-23-2012, 11:27 AM
I just set one up last night sound exactly like Marthas,only I used a garbage-picked 10gal.I'll try to take pics,but my camera started acting up.KozyKeith sent me a pic of his set-up,and I,m completly copying it.If he see's this,maybe he'll put up a pick of his own.

Bill63SG
06-23-2012, 12:15 PM
Managed to get it working.2liter bottles are supported with a sheet of styrafoam.743437434474345

Keith Perkins
06-23-2012, 12:25 PM
Okay, most of what you see here was learned from others, a lot of it from Auntie Martha. The floating styrofoam might have been my idea, as was the turkey baster for extracting.

http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x418/CozyKeith/100_3411.jpg

This one was suggested to me by Al. Start out with about 4 gallons of water with salt at the required 25 parts. Have to adjust the salinity regularly, but it's a lot more accurate than dry measuring.

http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x418/CozyKeith/100_3412.jpg

And last the whole package. Al also suggested after 24 hours removing the air and when everything settles out well putting them in a new container of water. William Palumbo might have suggested the same thing. Makes feeding a lot easier, get the vast majority of the egg shells out of your way.

http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x418/CozyKeith/100_3413.jpg

Who says a 10 gallon tank is useless for discus keeping? :D

Keith Perkins
06-23-2012, 12:28 PM
LOL, pretty dang good copy Bill.

Bill63SG
06-23-2012, 12:40 PM
LOL, pretty dang good copy Bill.Thanks Keith,done on a lick and a prayer.

Brokenrack
06-23-2012, 02:00 PM
Just use the bottom from another two liter for a base for the top. Poke some decent holes in the bottom portion to let the air out though.

xxbenjamminxx
06-23-2012, 03:56 PM
I may be having a blonde moment, but how are you transfering them to another container after 24hrs getting most of the egg shells out of the way? Thats the biggest PITA for me, so I have been siphoning them off the bottom with airline.

I really like that idea, just need to grab another air pump sometime and set it up. Man I love this forum. lol

Keith Perkins
06-23-2012, 05:23 PM
I let them sit without air for 5 minutes or so so they really separate. Grab the trust turkey baster, dive to the bottom of the container, suck em up, move them to a new container of water adjacent to the current one. I then dispense from there.

Every made bbs ice cubes? lol Another Al tip for easing feeding by the spouse. Okay so they're not real ice cubes, but a bunch of extra ones frozen at high population concentrations in a small ziplock freezer bag laid flat on a cookie sheet or something. Cut them in cubes size of your choice. The spouse will never forget to put the airline back in the bbs ever again. :)

mmorris
06-23-2012, 05:39 PM
Grab the trust turkey baster, dive to the bottom of the container, ...
Should we be wearing a special suit?

Keith Perkins
06-23-2012, 06:54 PM
Aye, they call them survival suits. Bright orange usually, see them on Deadliest Catch. :)

xxbenjamminxx
06-23-2012, 07:26 PM
Do you still only have the standard 60 seconds to get it on when there is an emergency feeding? LOL Thanks for the tips, I never tried a turkey baster, well because of the spouse....

Keith, doesnt your spouse like the smell brine shrimp after they sat without the airline for a while? Think I am gonna try and setup a hatchery like yours tonight or tomorrow.