PDA

View Full Version : Shivering discus

krislewis3
06-18-2012, 05:17 PM
I've been noticing in the last few days, that 1 or 2 of my discus shiver. Just for a second,but a very noticeable shiver. What do you think???:(

Bilbo
06-18-2012, 05:25 PM
They could be pairing off and getting ready to spawn. 'Shivering' as you so put it sounds like spawning behavior. Twitching and flashing is usually an indication that you have some other issues going on. How are your water paremeters? When discus shiver before a spawn they will ripple their whole body, often times while looking directly at the thing they plan on laying eggs on.

wdeleon01
06-18-2012, 05:26 PM
it might be that they are pairing up also if they start pecking at a specific place they are cleaning the site to lay eggs.

nabilbb
06-18-2012, 05:26 PM
+1

strawberryblonde
06-18-2012, 06:16 PM
Mine shiver every now and again when they are feeling "peckish and aggressive". I think it's a way of telegraphing "Don't MESS with me, I'm NOT in the mood!"

The reason I think that that's what it means with younger discus is that I notice that when mine do it, the others seem to take a step back. It generally will happen when there's food in the tank, but sometimes it happens for no reason at all.

EVhere
06-18-2012, 07:01 PM
I also occasionally see my discus shiver just the anal fin and I have not been able to figure out why they are doing that. This is different than the whole body wave I see during fighting or mating. Maybe it is a subtle move to signal aggression as described above but I cannot absolutely confirm that opinion.

DiscusDrew
06-18-2012, 07:20 PM
Mine shiver every now and again when they are feeling "peckish and aggressive". I think it's a way of telegraphing "Don't MESS with me, I'm NOT in the mood!"

The reason I think that that's what it means with younger discus is that I notice that when mine do it, the others seem to take a step back. It generally will happen when there's food in the tank, but sometimes it happens for no reason at all.
+1 If they are younger fish it is usually a territorial or aggression thing, with older fish it can be indication of spawning activity. "shimmying" particularly of the anal fin is not a bad sign in any way, just your discus being discus

deepflyball
06-18-2012, 09:54 PM
Thats there spawning dance Jerry

krislewis3
06-19-2012, 07:42 AM
These fish are not more then 6 months old..maby a little younger. Are they old enough to spawn?? At what age do they normally spawn, at what age do they stop growing? Im hoping to get more growth on them.