PDA

View Full Version : treating for flukes and water change...

triplecrown333
06-19-2012, 06:30 AM
hello all, i am treating my 6 juvies for gill flukes and following the dosing schedule of treatments on the 1 3 6 8 and 10th days...do i keep my water change schedule or follow my dosing schedule? the instructions doesnt state anything about water change...thanks in advance...

Skip
06-19-2012, 07:35 AM
Why are u treating...
What are u treating with?

triplecrown333
06-19-2012, 08:07 AM
they are flashing and sometimes they seem to be like running away from something,breathing kind of heavy, and one of them is hiding and tilted at a 45 angle...i forgot the name of the medicine but its a liquid solution containing malchete green , something with the two letters p and some other stuff i forgot as i am at work now...instructions also said to turn off uv which i forgot when i left, would it render the treatment useless because i wont be back in another ten hours...thanks for reply, i could always count on you for some sort of helpful dialogue lol...

Skip
06-19-2012, 08:55 AM
TC.. i say that.. cuz 99.9% of all people that treat their fish for flukes.. don't have flukes..

however..

its hard to get advice on the medication and water changes if you don't know what you are using.. SOOOO>.... when you do remember.. make sure you post it..

:)

brianyam
06-19-2012, 10:20 AM
If you really do have parasites, you should cut down or stop feeding. Don't worry, your fish will be fine for 3-4 days without food (actually when you order fish, your seller when they ship it to you often stops feeding for 2-3 days as well) Then you don't have to do WC so often. Make sure the tank is clean so suck up all the poo and stuff. Do the med per the intructions. Usually it is med for 48 hours, and then do a WC and med again for a max of 2-3 doses.

Try paraguard from seacheme if you want to use something broad based and has malachite green. I don't really like Malachite green, since it is nasty stuff (causes cancer and banned in aqua culture), so antibiotics are better in my opinion. Allot of fish antibiotics are actually used in human medicine.

triplecrown333
06-19-2012, 11:36 AM
thank you , i will stop feeding for the first dose and see how it goes from there...