PDA

View Full Version : Problems, ask the breeder.

ktm4us6
06-19-2012, 11:50 PM
For all you newbies out there, I just want to tell you a little story. I received 4 discus and all were doing great except one attacking all in the tank. I was told there better together in higher numbers, so i decided to order ten more. They were a inch smaller than the others. The new 10 went through quarantine and a few were not eating, flashing and rubbing against objects. I read about there symptoms and got worried, I decided to do a prazi-pro treatment for them thinking gill flukes. I asked the breeder what she thought and she said more water changes, wipe the tank down everyday, and make sure the ph is stable. Guess what I learned, My ph wasn't stable and I was causing extra stress on the discus (I started aging my water). I'm not sure but the other 4 I bought were doing fine so I just assumed the water was ok. I started aging my water, cleaning the tank everyday and guess what, there doing great. I'm sure this wont work with all circumstances, but from what I can see you should listen to you breeder. I hope this help all newbies out there.

Orange Crush
06-20-2012, 12:43 AM
Breeders are a great resorce and definately should be someone you turn to for help when needed.
That said, there are some cr*p breeders out there too that sell cr*p fish and give cr*ppy advice. I've read the results on this forum of people who took the advice of an unknowledgable/uncaring breeder and I felt really bad for them. The discus keeper was trying to do right by their fish but were told to do the wrong things by the breeder. :(
Unless it was a well respected breeder I would get more than one opinion just to be safe.

ktm4us6
06-20-2012, 01:15 AM
I agree totally. I checked before I bought. There's allot of advice given that is not always right. I guess it's a good thing I picked a good breeder then. If you do some checking around from this forum you should be able to find a reputable breeder. All I can say is I'm very happy with the breeder I chose and she helped me through my issues and they worked.

ktm4us6
06-20-2012, 01:16 AM
I agree totally. I checked before I bought. There's allot of advice given that is not always right. I guess it's a good thing I picked a good breeder then. If you do some checking around from this forum you should be able to find a reputable breeder. All I can say is I'm very happy with the breeder I chose and she helped me through my issues and they worked.

ktm4us6
06-20-2012, 01:22 AM
Oops posted twice for some reason. lol

Orange Crush
06-20-2012, 01:33 AM
The sponsers here are a good bet. :)