PDA

View Full Version : losing balance, "moving" flat on top

Christiano Tran
06-21-2012, 02:02 PM
plz help me ! my discus just getting better after a very bad situation, they was turn in black, and hide at the tank corner ( i make research for that, this is a effection of a virus from Asian ) i made treatment for them ,by moving them into a hospital tank, now they are getting better but one of them is not. this poor one just stay flat on the surface, try to swim but he can't. he still breath, and moving, also have his color back ( after the treatment for the virus effection ). plz help me because he can't come get the food even though he realy want to. ( water condition is very good )

Skip
06-21-2012, 02:04 PM
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?38545-Disease-Questionnaire-please-complete

fill this out, cut and paste here.. .. it is how you get information on sick fish..

Christiano Tran
06-21-2012, 02:21 PM
Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started
my discus just getting better after a very bad situation, they was turn in black, and hide at the tank corner ( i make research for that, this is a effection of a virus from Asian ) i made treatment for them ,by moving them into a hospital tank, now they are getting better but one of them is not. this poor one just stay flat on the surface, try to swim but he can't. he still breath, and moving, also have his color back ( after the treatment for the virus effection ).
2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)
stay flat on the surface, try to swim but he can't. he still breath, and moving, also have his color back ( after the treatment for the virus effection ).
3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.
i made treatment for them ,by moving them into a hospital tank, now they are getting better but one of them is not
Tank/Water
4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish
hospital tank, 20 gal, 6 discus( 3-4 inches) only one of them have the problem
5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?
1 day before moving the fish in for the virus treatment
6 Parameters and water source;

- temp _82-86 F____

- ph ___6.6-6.8__

- ammonia reading __0__

- nitrite reading __0__

- nitrate reading __0__

- well water __no__

- municipal water __yes__

7. Any new fish/plants added recently
no

Christiano Tran
06-21-2012, 02:32 PM
this is the picture of my sick discus

strawberryblonde
06-21-2012, 02:51 PM
Hi Christiano,

The first thing to do is change lots of water in that tank. You have high nitrites, which is toxic to fish. It's very very important to do a LARGE water change every single day that they are in the hospital tank. If you have meds in the tank, redose the meds after each water change.

If it was me, I'd be doing an 80% water change each morning, redose the tank with meds and then do a 60% water change at night. Changing the water is the single best thing you can do for your sick discus.

Also, don't overfeed them while they are in the hospital tank. When they're sick they really don't need to eat at all. If you still want to feed them, be sure to do it one hour before you change the water so that the food doesn't sit in the tank and cause the nitrites to rise again.

I don't know what else you can do at this point, but hopefully one of the disease experts will see this thread and offer some advice.

Christiano Tran
06-21-2012, 04:08 PM
should i add blackwater into the hospital tank ?

Altum Nut
06-21-2012, 04:29 PM
Not understanding what the virus was and what meds were used to treat?
Viruses are know to be lethal and can be air-born. In this case everything would have to be sanitized.
Your nitrate reading should not be zero. This would indicate tank is not cycled.

Better understanding on how long you have had them and possibly the source. In addition too, how do you know they carry this unknown virus and how did you treat.

...Ralph

Christiano Tran
06-21-2012, 04:38 PM
my fish was turn black, hide at the corner or stay flat on top of the tank. base on this observation, i searched around and got the information that the illness was cause by a virus from Asia, and this virus only effect Discus. the treatment for this illness is simple as change the water ( what i did was moving all the fish into a hospital tank ) they was better now accept for the one in the picture.

Christiano Tran
06-22-2012, 04:30 AM
my discus getting weaker ! :((

Skip
06-22-2012, 09:57 AM
how often are you water changing?!?! BEFORE it go sick?

i think you are wrong about Asian Virus..

but first explain your water situation.. Black and hiding could be alot of things.. and first thing (cheapest things) is to rule out water quality.. you still left out information in the form..

did you add new fish?
what meds did you treat with?
how long?
is there substrate.. ?

thats why the form is important.. you will get as much help based on information you give. .if you only alittle information.. it take longer..

strawberryblonde
06-22-2012, 10:46 AM
I'm confused now Christiano. Yesterday you posted high nitrites in the tank, and then you edited your post and put a zero in the nitrite section.

Have you done water changes yet? You can't just take your discus out of one tank and put them into another one in order to cure them. On top of it not being a cure, you've probably made it worse because you put 6 discus into a 20 gallon tank! They need daily water changes... LARGE water changes... because the water will get toxic very quickly with so many discus in such a small space.

Christiano Tran
06-22-2012, 11:50 AM
Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started
my discus just getting better after a very bad situation, they was turn in black, and hide at the tank corner, but still eat. i moved them into a hospital tank, now they are getting better but one of them is not. this poor one just stay flat on the surface, try to swim but he can't. he still breath, and moving, also have his color back.
2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)
stay flat on the surface, try to swim but he can't. he still breath, and moving, also have his color back ( after moving.
3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.
i made treatment for them ,by moving them into a hospital tank, I didn’t add any medicine. now they are getting better but one of them is not
Tank/Water
4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish
hospital tank, 20 gal, 6 discus( 3-4 inches) only one of them have the problem
5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?
in the hospital tank, I change 80% water every 8-10 hours
Parameters and water source;
- temp _82-86 F____
- ph ___7 ( I do the water change so I did not change the pH of the new water )
- ammonia reading __0__
- nitrite reading 0
- nitrate reading __<7__
- well water __no__
- municipal water __yes__
my water is = tap water + neutralize tap water solution from fish store
7. Any new fish/plants added recently
before they got black and hiding, ( still eating ) I added 4 small discus ( 1 week before they turn black ) I usually have them in a 30 gal tank, have water change whenever amonia level increase, nitrate level go higher than 10 ppm. I chaged the water a day before they turn black. In addition, when my fish turn in black, 3 of them are fine ( normal, happy … )
if I missed any infor, plz ! ask, I reply right back. Plz help me find a solution for this one discus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KHE_K5Fmb0&feature=plcp

Orange Crush
06-22-2012, 06:24 PM
When you added the 4 small discus it is very likely that you exposed the discus to a disease that they had no immunity for. This is why QT is so important http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?70091-Quarantine-recommendations-for-Discus-Purchased-from-Kenny-s-Discus Also, do not wait for ammonia levels to rise before doing a water change. There should never be any ammonia or nitrIte in their tanks ever, it will kill them. NitrAtes should stay less than 5ppm. Since you have rising ammonia levels it sounds like your tank/s are not cycled.
I recommend doing large frequent water changes (at least once per day) using Seachem Safe or Seachem Prime (tap water conditioners that also neutralize ammonia and nitrIte - but unlike other ammonia/nitrIte removers these leave them in the tank to allow BB colony to grow so your tank will cycle).

Altum Nut
06-22-2012, 06:41 PM
Looks like Whirling disease.
Here is a good article about it.
http://members.tripod.com/discus_unlimited/article/whirling.html

...Ralph

Christiano Tran
06-22-2012, 08:00 PM
seem like no hope for my Miss :(, i did the water change, all fish is good now accept for this one, he is my favorite. i better start looking for his far related brother now :)

PaulD
06-22-2012, 10:30 PM
C. Tran

La nguoi VN phai kg?

Christiano Tran
06-23-2012, 01:13 AM
uhm, co ji ko ? minh la nguoi viet day

PaulD
06-23-2012, 07:19 AM
Ca ra Sao roi?

Christiano Tran
06-23-2012, 01:37 PM
con cá đó chết queo rùi :( bạn ở đâu ? nuôi nhìu cá ko ? mình tính nuôi con đó làm giống xui xẻo ghê @@

PaulD
06-25-2012, 09:29 AM
Xui vay Chris phai thay nuoc thuong xuyen. Loi ca nay kg chieu nuoc doi.

Minh oi Mississippi co 2 ho ca 125g co 15 con ca

Phuc