PDA

View Full Version : DOG WORMER FOR DISCUS!!

Bilbo
06-22-2012, 01:08 AM
OK before i get flamed let me just say this.... i am not an advocate for this treatment. I am just trying to find out if any of our discus community have ever tried this or even heard about it. I was on another fish forum and found a thread about liquid dog wormer to deworm big cichlids. He said it worked like a charm. Has anyone ever heard of this?

DiscusDrew
06-22-2012, 01:32 AM
Piperazine is a common dog dewormer, also modified for ornamental fish use. Don't know if that was the drug but you'll find that a lot of medications do not originate on fish use, especially dewormer.

Bilbo
06-22-2012, 01:48 AM
Agreed. Matter of fact there are several meds as well as other aquatic items both chemical and hardware that we use in our hobby that were actually used first as other things that have nothing to do with fish.

Brent1972
06-22-2012, 04:03 AM
In the uk we sometimes use puppy wormer on our fish .

Orange Crush
06-22-2012, 04:05 AM
flubendazole

Brent1972
06-22-2012, 04:11 AM
Panacur puppy wormer contains Fenbendazole

Orange Crush
06-22-2012, 04:24 AM
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=135833
FLUbendazole and FENbendazole are different meds.

Elliots
06-22-2012, 05:56 AM
It might work. My question is what is the dosage per gallon if someone wanted to try it?

Elliots
06-22-2012, 06:01 AM
Please remember the antibiotics we use for fish were originally developed for people and they work. Is there a veterinarian on this site that knows a lot about fish or does someone know a veterinarian to ask?

dprais1
06-22-2012, 07:26 AM
dose the same BUT concentration may be different and that would effect how much.

for ex. of you want to treat 10 gal with 250mg of chemical Y

If you use "Fishy X" and it says that 1 tsp contains 250mg of the chemical then perfect
If you use "Doggy X" and it says 1 tsp contains 1000mg of the chemical then you would only need 1/4 tsp

ends up as the same dosage of chemical for the same volume of water. but different amounts of the 'medicine' because the concentratrion is different.

TURQ64
06-22-2012, 07:36 AM
the search engine here on SD will provide days of reading concerning crossover use of wormers...literally in the fish husbandry practice for decades..

Elliots
06-22-2012, 08:01 AM
dprais, I understand what you are saying. My question is what is the dosage per 10 gallons? When people take medication the dosage is determined by the age, and I think more important, the body weight. Adult dosage is calculated I think on a 70 kilogram person.

TURQ64
06-22-2012, 08:25 AM
I see your itrader rating is zero..why not try a sponsor here that sells meds properly dosed for fish? Supporting the sponsors is an excellent way to support this site..JMO

Elliots
06-22-2012, 08:42 AM
Turq64, I do not know what a trader rating is but except for my tank and stand I bought all my other supplies from Kensfish. Due to his low prices my bills will total only a little of $1500 to start up. My fish, except Discus, will come from a LFS. My Discus from Hans, that bill will be $1000, maybe $2000. What does that do to my trader rating?

TURQ64
06-22-2012, 08:50 AM
I'm not posting any of this to be contrary, so enjoy your setup.......Gary

Elliots
06-22-2012, 08:57 AM
Gary, I just posted under the Site Feedback heading in Forum asking what an itrader means as I do not know. Could you tell me?

TURQ64
06-22-2012, 09:20 AM
the itrader rating is a back and forth type of thing. You must actively click the required stuff on your homepage. then, the transaction will appear,allowing sponsors and members to view your participation.

Bilbo
06-22-2012, 10:03 AM
It might work. My question is what is the dosage per gallon if someone wanted to try it? I have a friend thats big into gold fish. He says a proven method for the goldfish peeps is to simply sprinkle the powder form onto the food (in this case beef heart for discus). Make sure the food is mashed flat and then get an even dusting over the food. Mash, and work it in and let it sit in the fridge for about 2 hours. Feed. Repeat in 2 weeks. According to him, by doing this you will eliminate all and any worms and you will be set for life as long as you don't reintroduce through foods or other things that could bring worms back in (obviously other fish could).

dprais1
06-22-2012, 04:17 PM
dosing. assuming again that it is the same chemical/med dose the same.
ex metro. searching 'metro' will give differing dosage recommendations from 250mg per 10gal to 500mg per 10 gal. so you would need to determine what is your target dosing beforehand and then calculate qty to be admin.

of course you have to sort out what you feel is best but then that would be your dosing.

I think the question becaomes is it any cheaper to use dewormer for dogs/cats etc?
and if it is very concentrated it becomes that much easier to overdose.

DiscusDrew
06-24-2012, 11:21 PM
Save yourself the time and hassle and follow Gary's advice, its risky amongst other things, YES, as I originally stated, a TON of our meds that we use on our fish were formulated from other animals including humans.... But let us not forget that there was a REASON that they were reformulated for fish, to keep them in safe dosages, admitedly also for profit, but there are good quality, reasonably priced, med manufacturers that are making professional grade medications and not the "Seachem" or "API" highly diluted stuff. For that reason I would say unless you have a very good understanding of chemistry and biology I would stick to what has been formulated for your use with fish. Just a recommendation... Save two dollars, OD your fish? Not worth it, at the very least make sure you confer with an aquatic vet or very experienced aquarist.

Bilbo
06-25-2012, 12:25 AM
Save yourself the time and hassle and follow Gary's advice, its risky amongst other things, YES, as I originally stated, a TON of our meds that we use on our fish were formulated from other animals including humans.... But let us not forget that there was a REASON that they were reformulated for fish, to keep them in safe dosages, admitedly also for profit, but there are good quality, reasonably priced, med manufacturers that are making professional grade medications and not the "Seachem" or "API" highly diluted stuff. For that reason I would say unless you have a very good understanding of chemistry and biology I would stick to what has been formulated for your use with fish. Just a recommendation... Save two dollars, OD your fish? Not worth it, at the very least make sure you confer with an aquatic vet or very experienced aquarist. To late, already dosed it up the last 3 days. Worked great! Just bought the liquid wormer and mixed it in with my liver paste and fed. Thanks guys!