PDA

View Full Version : How old are some of your tanks?

Bilbo
06-22-2012, 12:35 PM
So i noticed a "drip... drip... drip" sound coming from where one of my tanks were and noticed it was driping on the floor. So i drained the tank and noticed that the silicone was super soft and breaking down. I easily peeled it off the seems of the tank with just my fingers. Most of it came off in one big long piece. The tank is about 10 years old. How long do you guys go before you break a tank down and reseal it or get another? I'm not even bothering with resealing this one. Im just going to toss it and buy another one. What is scary is that my other tanks are about the same age or older. I really dont want to break the big ones down. The silicone on them still seem to be firm and pliable swith a good bond.

NoMondays
06-22-2012, 01:09 PM
So i noticed a "drip... drip... drip" sound coming from where one of my tanks were and noticed it was driping on the floor. So i drained the tank and noticed that the silicone was super soft and breaking down. I easily peeled it off the seems of the tank with just my fingers. Most of it came off in one big long piece. The tank is about 10 years old. How long do you guys go before you break a tank down and reseal it or get another? I'm not even bothering with resealing this one. Im just going to toss it and buy another one. What is scary is that my other tanks are about the same age or older. I really dont want to break the big ones down. The silicone on them still seem to be firm and pliable swith a good bond.

One of my 55 gal tanks (AllGlass manufacturer) is 18 years old... still holding water fine (knock on wood), and the silicone seems to be "okay". Your encounter with a tank only 10 years old has given me cause for concern as the tank is in a family room over a finished pool room in the basement. If it sprung a leak it would create a really messy cleanup. My tanks have never been stored without water. Was your 10 year old "leaker" tank ever stored empty? And is the tank exposed to sunlight?

Bilbo
06-22-2012, 01:20 PM
Well if yours ever spring a leak from old silicone it would be slow at first. You would have plenty of time to notice and act before a big mess occured. To answer your question yes they have been stored without water before but i have done this all my life with no problems. Also yes to the sunlight question. This tank has been set up by a window which gets direct sunlight. It has been in front of a window for years though. Does sunlight cause silicone to break down. Never heard of that.

NoMondays
06-22-2012, 01:33 PM
Well if yours ever spring a leak from old silicone it would be slow at first. You would have plenty of time to notice and act before a big mess occured. To answer your question yes they have been stored without water before but i have done this all my life with no problems. Also yes to the sunlight question. This tank has been set up by a window which gets direct sunlight. It has been in front of a window for years though. Does sunlight cause silicone to break down. Never heard of that.

I am no expert ... However on a google search (www.silicone.jp/e/catalog/pdf/rubber_e.pdf) under "Weatherability" it says sunlight exposure "Over 10 years" for silicone.

Swedgin
06-23-2012, 03:52 AM
I've got a Juwel tank running for 10 years now and it survived a move from Germany to Dubai, too...

German quality I guess :)

Poco
06-23-2012, 09:34 AM
Great German quality, we saw it yesterday at Euro2012 against Greece too ;)

I've got a Juwel tank running for 10 years now and it survived a move from Germany to Dubai, too...

German quality I guess :)

TURQ64
06-23-2012, 09:41 AM
I have upwards of 40+ here that are pre-1951...........Made right here in the USA..some leak, some don't...

xxbenjamminxx
06-23-2012, 09:54 AM
Wow pre 1951? That is impressive. Never resealed them? The 75g I have is around 10 yrs old now and I often wonder how long it will last. SO FAR SO GOOD, but do notice some of the silicone peeling back a little in the corners when I use the mag float but no drips yet...........

kent1963
06-23-2012, 03:11 PM
My oldest is a 70 that I bought used when I was 16... I'm 48 and the tank is holding water better then me.

NoMondays
06-23-2012, 08:51 PM
My oldest is a 70 that I bought used when I was 16... I'm 48 and the tank is holding water better then me.

LOLOLOLOLOL! That's TOO funny! :) I love it! :)
I did have a 55 gal leak when it was in service after only 9 years but I blame that on an old man that gripped the top of the aquarium to use as support to raise himself from the floor. > > Can't blame the silicone breaking it's seal on that one :). > > On the other hand I have 21 other tanks ranging from 14 to 18 years old and all TRULY hold water "BETTER THAN ME"... LOLOLOL!