PDA

View Full Version : aqua quartz vs. HTH

Elliots
06-22-2012, 05:11 PM
I wanted to buy Aqua Quartz pool filter sand for my tank. It appears that it is no longer available at ACE hardware in my neighborhood (NYC). Instead they are offering HTH. Is that the same or very similar? I have not personally seen a bag of Aqua Quartz so I do not know.

Elliots
06-28-2012, 03:40 PM
I ordered Aqua Quartz brand on Sat 6-16, I told the manager I wanted Aqua Quartz brand. I asked her to check because of what the site showed. She said I'll get Aqua Quartz. It came in HTH brand. The web site at ACE hardware shows a picture of HTH. The text says Aqua Quartz. Aqua Quatz is called "Quartz Sand", HTH is called "Silica Sand". I found out the two terms mean the same and are interchangable. Both are pool filter sands. I also read somewhere that the pool filter sand production is going down because fewer and fewer pool filters use sand. I have not actually seen Aqua Quartz sand. I will pick up the HTH 6-30 or 6-31 unless I can locate Aquas Quartz before then.

OCD
06-28-2012, 06:12 PM
i was told to get Aqua Quartz from Ace, and experienced the same thing you did.
web site says one thing, but image is another.
I bought it anyway (Bag is HTH)-because yes i do believe it is the same (silica=quartz). I like it. I would just recomment that you rinse it good before you use it. i did experience alot of clouding with it.