PDA

View Full Version : Praziquantel or Acetone negative side effects.

Bilbo
06-23-2012, 04:36 PM
Im assuming it's from the acetone but have anyone of you ever had any of your discus go up to the top of the aquarium and float there or go to the bottem with fins clamped and sit there right after using Praziquantel with acetone as a dissolvant? My discus and rams are fine but i have never used Praz or acetone on my flowerhorns before and i went ahead and dewormed them today with the stuff but they had some negative side effects from it. They seem to be recovering from it now but one of my breed flowerhorn females is still struggling with it.

jimg
06-23-2012, 06:37 PM
no never used acetone either used dmso. no reason to dilute prazi, it will dilute on it's own

NoMondays
06-23-2012, 08:38 PM
no never used acetone either used dmso. no reason to dilute prazi, it will dilute on it's own

It seems to depend upon the "PRAZI" you are referring to.... I have a bottle of "PraziPro" which says it is ready to use. With that in mind one might say it will dilute on it's own. I also have a container of pure "Prazi" where the directions state it's necessary to make into a paste using a few drops of ethyl alcohol (like vodka) then add a small amount of aquarium water prior to pouring into the tank. The dosage also varies between the two products so read the directions carefully. I have seen other references which say to use acetone to dissolve the "prazi', but I have no experience with doing that. As the dosage differs between the products you might review the package directions to unsure the dosage was correct for the quantity of water in your tank.

Bilbo
06-23-2012, 08:55 PM
I was reffering to Praziquantel per the title of the thread. And directions are never an issue as a scale is used to messure out the dosage to exact. Also acentone is used by many breeders. I just have never used either on my flowerhorns and wanted to see if anyone else had these issues. I don't have these side effects on my discus or rams. But it's ok now. All fish are back to normal and doing great. Thanks!

NoMondays
06-23-2012, 09:02 PM
I was reffering to Praziquantel per the title of the thread. And directions are never an issue as a scale is used to messure out the dosage to exact. Also acentone is used by many breeders. I just have never used either on my flowerhorns and wanted to see if anyone else had these issues. I don't have these side effects on my discus or rams. But it's ok now. All fish are back to normal and doing great. Thanks!

:)
All's well that ends well!
Very glad to hear your fish are back to normal!

Stan

jimg
06-24-2012, 10:20 PM
It seems to depend upon the "PRAZI" you are referring to.... I have a bottle of "PraziPro" which says it is ready to use. With that in mind one might say it will dilute on it's own. I also have a container of pure "Prazi" where the directions state it's necessary to make into a paste using a few drops of ethyl alcohol (like vodka) then add a small amount of aquarium water prior to pouring into the tank. The dosage also varies between the two products so read the directions carefully. I have seen other references which say to use acetone to dissolve the "prazi', but I have no experience with doing that. As the dosage differs between the products you might review the package directions to unsure the dosage was correct for the quantity of water in your tank.

He stated prazi, not prazi pro. the references were more than likely old and many remedies are passed as parroting, without actual experience as you claim yourself. many make claims as to how to dose meds, but few have actual proof of the out come