PDA

View Full Version : Quick question: Spot treating eggs with MB???

xxbenjamminxx
06-23-2012, 07:56 PM
My Blue Diamonds are spawning again so would like an answer somewhat quick if available since the MB window seems kinda short.... so here we go...

I was wondering since my fish are in a 55g tank could I put some MB directly on the eggs in the tank or prepare like a gallon of water and just dip the terracotta with eggs on it, into the MB solution if that would be effective at all? They are in the tank with another pair of PBs and I am just trying to see if the "Male" is infact a proven male.

I did a lot of looking around and havent found anything on the use of a dip. Not sure I am just using the wrong terms in the search box or what, but have seen people doing this method on Youtube.... I know its not necessarily correct if its on Youtube so I am asking the pros here what their take is on it.

Also mods if this is in the wrong section I apologize.

magewynd
06-23-2012, 08:06 PM
I've done Quick Cure a few hours after the spawn, then a big water change the next day. You won't know if he is fertile till they hatch after 48hours or so.

magewynd
06-23-2012, 08:07 PM
If you are up on your water changes you shouldn't have too much problem with fungus eggs.

xxbenjamminxx
06-23-2012, 08:20 PM
I dont have any QC right now, and was thinking after you responded maybe I should just let them go this time and see what happens. Last time I messed with them by trying to cage the eggs and moving them to the side and they seem to abandon them until that night they were gone. Guessing the male ate them since there was an egg crate divider in and they were the only 2 on that side with the eggs and he was seen snacking some at the beginning of todays spawn. I just have such a hard time leaving everything be..

xxbenjamminxx
06-23-2012, 08:21 PM
Just out of curiousity does anyone every just go with a quick bath in MB to prevent fungus or does it have to be treated into the tank volume so they are in contact with it much longer?

Bill63SG
06-23-2012, 08:39 PM
Ill only be able to tell you what I just did in the last week,but my eggs were fungusing up to where I thought the only way I was going to get a spawn was to use ro.I caught my one pair hours after they laid and dosed the tank.Saw 2 days later my unconfirmed cobalts laid and I dosed the tank.My melons lay like clockwork,but only have had enough hatch to confirm pair.Dosed thier tank.first pair,ss and rose red,hatched and a pretty decent hatch.Cobalts hatched and went to free swimming but no attachent,but now confirmed.Melons hatched and a pretty decent spawn,should go free swimming tommorrow.Only thing I did different was dose the tank with meth blue.Last night putting together brine shrimp hatchery.Been a busy few days.

nc0gnet0
06-23-2012, 09:56 PM
If you are up on your water changes you shouldn't have too much problem with fungus eggs.

I hear this over and over again (no offense). Fungus won't attack healthy fertile eggs, this is true. It will however start growing on eggs that are infertile or have died. Many times the mineral content in the water will cause the egg shell to calcify, thus suffocating the embro. Then the fungus sets in, even in some of the cleanest of conditions. Meth blue helps to some extent to keep the egg shell from calcifying as well as preventing fungus.

Keith Perkins
06-23-2012, 10:19 PM
When I occasionally use MB on a batch of eggs, I apply it directly to the eggs. I indirectly end up dosing the whole tank, but the eggs get dosed very heavily.

Brent1972
06-24-2012, 06:31 PM
Just out of curiousity does anyone every just go with a quick bath in MB to prevent fungus or does it have to be treated into the tank volume so they are in contact with it much longer?

I lift the cone out and pour the meth blue on the eggs then replace , another way of doing it is cut the bottom off a 2L bottle place over the cone and squirt some meth blue from a syringe in and leave for a min or two . Then take bottle off , that way the eggs get a full dose but your tank does not.