PDA

View Full Version : New 125 Gallon Discus Tank

dprais1
06-23-2012, 09:56 PM
Well I just got a really nice 125 gallon tank. Black Sealant. Reef ready. No lids.

for 125.00 delivered to my garage. (for an extra 50.00 could have had a stand and canopy but it was all too tall)

Tommorow starts the cleaning. Need to take off all the paint(black) but its latex so no problem. Then sterilize the tank with a really heavy dose of bleach solution for a few hours. Then paint the back and sides blue and the bottom white.

It is reef ready but dosn't have a sump and i can't do one anyhow. How can i cap or plug off the holes?

I was thinking of taking out the black plastic things in the tank that the plumbing would have is masked behind(whatever the correct name is) any suggestions?

I was thinking of trying to take off the tanks plastic 'frame' so I could paint and then re-attach. any suggestions?

Won't actually be setting up for a couple months just want to get it all prepped. Any don't want to F--- anything up because I'm not doing the right thing.

thanks
-Dan

Trier20
06-23-2012, 11:52 PM
Congrats on ur new tank! Hell of a deal IMO!!!!! Why no sump?? "Black plastic things" are bulk heads. As far as the rest i'm not sure. Are you going BB or putting substrate in? If you're going to put substrate in you shouldn't need to take the trim off and paint behind it. I would be apprehensive about taking it off in fear of breaking it. You might want to investigate on a different color for the bottom. White will work but it shows EVERYTHING! Good luck with your project Dan!

dprais1
06-24-2012, 12:59 AM
Thanks, I'm going to do a dusting of pool filter sand, found a 50lb bag for 8.99 at my local hardware store, will probably end up using 5lbs of it.. I'm painting because if I don't do it now I won't have the option when its all set if I decide to go true BB. maybe I will add little tint to it so it's not blazing white.

I'm gonna try carefully to slide a thin knife between the glass and frame. If it's too much work or seems to 'iffy' then I'll skip it.

Sump is a no go because...I'm not sure. I'll have to rethink that and do some research, never had one.

Thanks
dan

tbone007
06-24-2012, 08:57 AM
I would go with a sump for sure. They are real easy and cheap. Plenty of DIY dumps online. I made mine with a free 55gal tank from Craigslist.... Diff look into it. There is no reason to take the frame off and would never do it.. You should be able to scrap ant paint off with it on... And because of the water line be able to paint as high as you need to go. I would also looking into pool filter sand... It is cheap and works great... I have used it for years.. Just my thoughts.

dprais1
06-24-2012, 11:39 AM
I'm all over the forum now. 99% concinced to do the sump. 99% or 99.9% convinced to skip taking off the frame. pool filter sand +1. just deciding on the logistics, continue with the feedback it is a big help

dprais1
06-24-2012, 11:20 PM
okay gonna do the sump...but that is another thread. almost all clean and mostly repainted. heavy, almost killed myself getting it inside.

the bottom is painted an almost terra cotta color(white with some brownish paint mixed in)

Trier20
06-25-2012, 02:50 AM
Lookin good Dan!

zinfin
06-26-2012, 08:01 AM
Nice looking tank. I like that there are holes in the overflows near the bottom of the tank. I've read that draws stuff off of the floor of the tank and it stays cleaner.

limige
07-16-2012, 07:39 PM
Tank looks awesome, you got a steal..should've leak tested it outside first IMO.

I would suggest to use a sump. If not yes you can just plug the off both inside and outside to be safe.

Bleach is over kill I would sugget a solid rinsing then fill it for a day or two and drain it before the final fill.

Tanks like that are clutter free if you use a sump you can put your heater in the sump