PDA

View Full Version : New pair can't get it right

joshvito
06-24-2012, 10:52 AM
I have a new pair that keep eating the wigglers. They keep spawning every two days. I am still feeding, and they are eating. I caged the last spawn, and it looks like most of those were eaten but there are still a few hanging around, some with the new clutch of eggs.
Will they get it right eventually? This activity is from past 10 days.

TFCEC Member
Tropical Fish Club of Erie County (Http://www.tropical-fish-club-of-Erie-county.com)

joshvito
06-24-2012, 10:53 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/45cc0a27-29e8-07b2.jpg
Shot of my cage.

TFCEC Member
Tropical Fish Club of Erie County (Http://www.tropical-fish-club-of-Erie-county.com)

warblad79
06-24-2012, 03:01 PM
They will get it right after few spawn. just like my pair

nc0gnet0
06-24-2012, 04:07 PM
I have a new pair that keep eating the wigglers. They keep spawning every two days. I am still feeding, and they are eating. I caged the last spawn, and it looks like most of those were eaten but there are still a few hanging around, some with the new clutch of eggs.
Will they get it right eventually? This activity is from past 10 days.

Could you please reconsider your post and provide some neccesary corrections?

If you have a pair that spawns every two days, then they have to be a pair of females.........

But if you have a pair of females, then how can you have wigglers?

If you caged the eggs, how could they have been eaten?

either your timeline is incorrect (typically takes between 5-10 days between spawns) or your confused as to what a wiggler is.....

joshvito
06-24-2012, 04:24 PM
I definitely have a pair, not two females.
Maybe every two days was a bit exaggerated, it's been 12 days since I noticed the first eggs, and I have had 4 clutches in 4 different spots. There is a clutch of eggs now, and fry in the tank.

I thought they were wigglers for 4 days after hatching. I can't tell if the one fish is eating the fry or spitting them out,at the eggs.
http://img.tapatalk.com/45cc0a27-7748-fe96.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/45cc0a27-784e-daef.jpg

TFCEC Member

joshvito
06-24-2012, 04:29 PM
Well, I just saw the larger fish spit a fry back at the eggs. Looks like I just need to wait. And do a water change.

TFCEC Member

joshvito
06-27-2012, 09:41 PM
I still have wigglers, and they are laying more eggs, is this normal?

TFCEC Member

joshvito
06-28-2012, 05:37 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/45cc0a27-ceb4-3cb2.jpgAttachment!

TFCEC Member

nabilbb
06-28-2012, 05:57 PM
Yes, that's normal, and most probably they will eat the new eggs,

Chicago Discus
06-28-2012, 06:17 PM
IMO I think you need to keep the Tank a little bit cleaner and its very normal for them to spawn again from my experience its the female that usually eats the eggs if you want to keep the batch then just remove her from the tank........josie

joshvito
06-29-2012, 10:23 AM
Thank you for the help everyone. I may enter these fish into the forum contest!

TFCEC Member

jaykne
06-29-2012, 11:33 AM
You do need to clean the tank fry would probably not live long in poor water condition like that. As for the fry being eaten it is probably both parents if they go to spawn again in most cases they will eat the fry they have. Before removing the female cut a piece of egg crate to size and if you see them going to spawn again separate the parents so they can't spawn and fry can feed from both parents. This is very common with young or new pairs they spawn get fry spawn again and as soon as the see the eggs are fertile they eat the fry they have. I have used egg crate with lots of new or young pairs for their first couple spawns.