PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing plants

kwroberto
06-24-2012, 04:33 PM
Does anyone know where I can purchase good quality live plants and reasonable shipping online, I'm pretty much fed up with my LPS.

Big-Ken
06-24-2012, 05:01 PM
I got mine from aquariumplants.com and I am very happy with them, they have a discus plants category

Skip
06-24-2012, 05:45 PM
The planted tank forum.. Lots of cheap plants from hobbyist

Joe
06-24-2012, 07:30 PM
I got amazon swords from aquariumplants.com . Very healthy plants. They have good selection & prices

Joe

les2011
06-24-2012, 09:03 PM
http://www.extraplant.us/?gclid=CP6_p_WopK0CFRFV7Aodpxu_mg

http://www.azgardens.com/c-16-aquarium-plant-habitats.aspx

ericatdallas
06-25-2012, 01:55 PM
I get mine at the aquarium forums OR local aquarium clubs.

eaglesfan3000
06-25-2012, 07:32 PM
I'm also going to make the jump to add plants, however I'm going to use pots to keep my tanks barebottom.

What is the best substrate for clay pots?

Does beefheart debris collect on the leaves, if so is there some kind of clean up crew that can take care of this?

I already have a pleco it doesn't do much but hide.

les2011
06-25-2012, 07:53 PM
I'm also going to make the jump to add plants, however I'm going to use pots to keep my tanks barebottom.

What is the best substrate for clay pots?

Does beefheart debris collect on the leaves, if so is there some kind of clean up crew that can take care of this?

I already have a pleco it doesn't do much but hide.

I have a bunch of cory cats & a group of about 6 whisker shrimp that do well with my discus.

eaglesfan3000
06-25-2012, 08:08 PM
I thought about shrimp, after doing some research I read that shrimp don't do well in high temps.

Orange Crush
06-25-2012, 08:27 PM
I thought about shrimp, after doing some research I read that shrimp don't do well in high temps.
I keep my discus tank at 82-83F and I have amanos in there with them no problem. It really depends on what temp you keep you tank at. I keep it at the low end so I can have plants and shrimp and other fish in there with them.

eaglesfan3000
06-25-2012, 08:48 PM
I keep my discus tank at 82-83F and I have amanos in there with them no problem. It really depends on what temp you keep you tank at. I keep it at the low end so I can have plants and shrimp and other fish in there with them.

I keep mine around 88, right now it's at 90.

DiscusPunk
06-25-2012, 08:49 PM
Try Arizona Aquatic Gardens at azgardens.com. I just placed an order with them after researching the prices and shipping costs of other online aquarium plant suppliers. If you are buying a lot definitely azgardens.com, the more you buy the better price per unit you get. I'm doing a moderately heavy planted 125g discus tank and need a lot of plants so it saved me money to go through them. They also had the best deal on Baby Tears I could find which was the main plant I wanted. A 12"x12" mat only costs $24!
Whatever you do DON"T use rfitropicalfish.com. Paid a ton of money for enough plants to "fill" a 100-125 gallon aquarium. Yeah maybe a 40g would've been full with the amount of plants I received. AND on top of that, most of what I was sent was diseased with already yellowing plants full of holes.
Once my plant shipment comes in on Weds or Thurs I'll post more to let everyone know if I'll be eating my words. ha ha

les2011
06-25-2012, 09:20 PM
Whisker shrimp can survive in high temps my tank is set at 89 and they are doing fine, I even have a few carrying eggs.

eaglesfan3000
06-25-2012, 09:25 PM
Whisker shrimp can survive in high temps my tank is set at 89 and they are doing fine, I even have a few carrying eggs.

Cool that's good to know, will the discus eat them? Mine are 5 to almost 6 inches now there are a total of 9 in my 120.

CrazyAngels
06-25-2012, 10:15 PM
I can not put any shrimp in my discus and angels tanks cause they don't last but a few minutes. They become live snacks for them.

les2011
06-25-2012, 10:37 PM
No they won't eat them, my whisker shrimp walk all across the bottom of the tank right past the discus with no issues. They also grow to be larger than regular size shrimp. I also have three flower shrimp that are doing fine as well, and looking to add a pair of vampire shrimp a.k.a. African Filter Shrimp, azgardens.com carries these.

eaglesfan3000
06-27-2012, 08:28 PM
That azgardens is a cool site, they also sell the Tetras I would like to put in as well. What kind of shape does their livestock come in?

eaglesfan3000
06-27-2012, 08:35 PM
I can not put any shrimp in my discus and angels tanks cause they don't last but a few minutes. They become live snacks for them.

That's what I'm afraid of. It looks like they ship about 1/4 to 1/2 inch. My discus are aggressive eaters I don't know if they will make it.

Orange Crush
06-27-2012, 08:41 PM
That's what I'm afraid of. It looks like they ship about 1/4 to 1/2 inch. My discus are aggressive eaters I don't know if they will make it.
Do you have domestic discus? If yes you can keep them at 82-83F and then you can have amano shrimp. I have some mopani in the tank for them to hide in if needed but they are often roaming the tank and not 1 of the 12 have ever been eaten. I got mine from Rachel and they were all at least 1/2-3/4". http://msjinkzd.com/

eaglesfan3000
06-27-2012, 08:49 PM
Do you have domestic discus? If yes you can keep them at 82-83F and then you can have amano shrimp. I have some mopani in the tank for them to hide in if needed but they are often roaming the tank and not 1 of the 12 have ever been eaten. I got mine from Rachel and they were all at least 1/2-3/4". http://msjinkzd.com/

What do you mean by domestic? Mine have all come from Kenny, Mike, and Hans.

Wjmulder
06-27-2012, 09:15 PM

I maintain 87 degrees and have a single ghost shrimp that just can't manage to get eaten lol! Also a bamboo shrimp, no problems with temps. They aren't a cleanup crew, my albino corys take care of that very nice.

Orange Crush
06-27-2012, 10:10 PM
What do you mean by domestic? Mine have all come from Kenny, Mike, and Hans.
vs. wild (fished from the amazon river)

DiscusPunk
07-16-2012, 01:54 PM
So as an update on my azgardens.com order, I don't know if anyone else has ordered from them but I'm going on 4 weeks now that I still haven't received my order. Tried calling both of their phone numbers. The voicemail box is full for one number(Such a good sign), and the other line rang and rang and rang. Called multiple times and on the day they request. End result, I'm gonna try to get my order or my money back and NEVER order from them again. I don't know if their live orders are handled any differently but 4 weeks and no email or phone call for some freakin plants is ridiculous. Order from somewhere else everyone.

vq5
07-19-2012, 01:33 PM
I have purchased from AquariumPlants.com too many times. I have always been happy with there plants. I also buy plants from other members and find you can get rarer hard to get plants this way at a cheap price.

xxbenjamminxx
07-20-2012, 01:58 AM
Man wish I would have seen this thread earlier. I have heard of multiple stories very similar to this one from these guys. I hope you get it all straightened out, and if you happen to be still looking for some plants I am completely tearing down my 75g planted tank and would like to sell all of the plants in one large bunch to someone if possible.

There is Dwarf Hairgrass "Belem"
several Rotalas, Ludwigias, Hygro Compact, and water wisteria, many plants of different types of crypts (large and small), A. Reineckii, Jungle Vals, Blyxa Japonica, Anubias Nana and Petite, Java Ferns, and the more...... Plus they are already accustomed to the warmer temps.

Here are some tank shots from a couple weeks ago.
http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb416/xxbenjamminxx/DSCF0502.jpg

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb416/xxbenjamminxx/S8000835.jpg

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb416/xxbenjamminxx/S8000836.jpg

Pm me if you would like any more info or pics......

jesseter
07-22-2012, 01:52 PM
xxbenjamminxx would you pm me? I am new and can't pm until 5 posts are made. Has any offers been made yet? THanks!