PDA

View Full Version : Reoccurring White growth!!

xschug3
06-24-2012, 08:16 PM

Can anyone tell me what this growth is and why it keeps coming back? I leave my two 54 watt T5HO lights on for 7 hours/day. It keeps growing on my manzanita wood. I've cleaned it off 3 times and it continues to come back within 2-3 days. I perform a 40-50% water change once a week.
Please, any advice is greatly appreciated. I don't have discus yet but I'm in the process of getting this tank prepared for them and I don't want this mess in the tank.

xxbenjamminxx
06-24-2012, 10:57 PM
Its commons with new DW. Just keep removing it and it will stop coming back after a while. From my experiences it never hurt my fish but that was with Mbuna Cichlids and not Discus. The only problems were that it was unsightly...

discuspaul
06-24-2012, 10:57 PM
Hey Trey - not to worry.
Newly maturing driftwood, usually in the first few weeks it is placed in the tank, tends to exude, or shed/produce, a proteined bacterial substance that looks like whitish/cloudy 'snot' - is the best way I can describe it.
It is perfectly harmless, and will disappear in a couple of weeks' time.
Some fish, but I can't recall which strains, would just love it, and clean it up in no time.
I had some on my Manza stump just after I did my re-scape, and noticed my Cories were feeding a bit on it.
Meantime, just keeping vacuuming up as much of it as you can - wipe it off when doing your wcs - whatever.
It WILL eventually go away, never to return - so don't fret.

Orange Crush
06-25-2012, 03:36 AM
It is fugly but harmless. My plecos love to eat it. Just let it be and it will go away over time. Not sure how long it takes though if you don't have plecos. lol

xschug3
06-25-2012, 12:09 PM
Thanks for the help guys. It's weird because I've never seen this before and I've not had it happen before either. It must just be something with manzanita wood. This is the first tank I've ever had manzanita species in my tank and it keeps coming back which I can't seem to understand. I'll try putting some cory cats in the tank and maybe a few Oto's as well. Hopefully something will feed on it. As soon as I clean it off it comes right back.....:angry:

discuspaul
06-25-2012, 01:45 PM
This problem will be all but forgotten in, hopefully, a few weeks' time, maybe less!

Orange Crush
06-25-2012, 05:32 PM
Thanks for the help guys. It's weird because I've never seen this before and I've not had it happen before either. It must just be something with manzanita wood. This is the first tank I've ever had manzanita species in my tank and it keeps coming back which I can't seem to understand. I'll try putting some cory cats in the tank and maybe a few Oto's as well. Hopefully something will feed on it. As soon as I clean it off it comes right back.....:angry:
Be careful with the otos, they love to eat the slime coat on discus. It is stressful to the discus. It often occurs at night when the discus are trying to sleep and you may not catch them doing it.

DiscusPunk
06-25-2012, 09:25 PM
Is it stripped of its bark? I put a manzanita branch in my tank for the first time having never used manzanita before. My local specialty fish store got them in and told me they could be put in the tank without soaking it first. I wished I did. My manzanita branch still had its bark all over it and after a couple days to a week, the ENTIRE branch was covered in white fuzz. I pulled the branch out and scrapped off all of the bark with a clean grout scrub brush. Haven't had the problem since.