PDA

View Full Version : Moving fish around

fdlacy
06-26-2012, 09:18 AM
I will be buying a new group of 6 discus soon from a SD sponsor. I have a tank that currently houses a BNP and various Cories where I would like to put the new discus. If I move all current inhabitants to a new tank so only the discus will be in the tank, what do i need to to ensure that I am not violating a quarantine procedure even though the fish will not be in there at the same time. Would it be sufficient to do several WCs with no fish in the now empty tank or do I need to completely sterilize the tank and establish new cycle prior to adding discus.

There is no current illness in the tank I just want to be sure I am not failing to quarantine in essence during this switcharoo.

I look forward and appreciate all feedback.

Darren

P.S. NADA was awesome this year, I enjoyed meeting many of you.

Skip
06-26-2012, 09:21 AM
well, probably not best to do what i did.. :)

i pulled out existing stock and put into another tank.. and then dumped in new fish into old tank.. BUT.. its what i could do at about 11pm when i got home with fish i wasn't really ready to bring in :)

so far so good.. but 3 fish in a 60g cube looks thin :)

nwehrman
06-26-2012, 09:30 AM
Main question is can you treat/medicate the tank you want to put the discus into QT in? Because you need to be able to medicate them so a bare bottom works best for QT. If you do as Skip (and I) did then the new fish are exposed to anything from the current fish - however the current fish are not exposed to them. They may break with something but since I am deworming and other stuff during my qt anyway... They will be treated.

Nicole

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fdlacy
06-26-2012, 09:50 AM
LOL. Yeah, NADA is like giving vodka to alcoholics.

well, probably not best to do what i did.. :)

i pulled out existing stock and put into another tank.. and then dumped in new fish into old tank.. BUT.. its what i could do at about 11pm when i got home with fish i wasn't really ready to bring in :)

so far so good.. but 3 fish in a 60g cube looks thin :)

Skip
06-26-2012, 09:56 AM
i ordered metro and /feb&$*#*#@(can't spell it) medicated flakes from angel plus.. i will be feeding all my fish the treatment.. :)

i got the 3oz size.. so meds would be fresh

fdlacy
06-26-2012, 10:04 AM
The tank I want to put the new discus in does have a thin layer of sand, but nothing else. Sounds like since I am not in the emergency you folks were in returning from ATL, then it would be better to "actively" QT new fish in new bare bottom tank. Even if I do this, I want to add the new stock to the tank I emptied at some point after QT, so should I do to avoid exposing new fish to anything from fish i pulled out of this tank? Or...is this why you were suggesting I "treat/medicate the tank I want to put the discus into QT in"? That would effectively clean the tank of any left over nasties while they are being QTd.

So here is what I am thinking:

1) Move fish to new tank
2) Perform 2-3 large daily WCs in empty tank to "flush" out as much as possible.
3) Add 6 new discus to tank
4) Follow normal QT regimen, treat as required
5) Add a sacrificial lamb from new stock into tank with old stock and monitor
6) Reunite all fish if all goes well

Does that plan sound alright?

Also can you remind me what steps Dick and Andre suggested at NADA for "actively" quarantining in terms of salt or meds.

Thanks as always,

Darren

Main question is can you treat/medicate the tank you want to put the discus into QT in? Because you need to be able to medicate them so a bare bottom works best for QT. If you do as Skip (and I) did then the new fish are exposed to anything from the current fish - however the current fish are not exposed to them. They may break with something but since I am deworming and other stuff during my qt anyway... They will be treated.

Nicole

Skip
06-26-2012, 10:06 AM
you could just PP the tank.. that would clean it all out

i am medicating cuz i have one that is not too well.. SO>. i am treating all :)

well.. FEEDING all :)

ps.. i like your steps.. and its a "VOLUNTEER" not a "LAMB" ;)

nwehrman
06-26-2012, 10:07 AM
Give me a few hours to get to computer...I'll answer completely. Sitting at Dr office now...

Nicole

fdlacy
06-26-2012, 11:08 AM
Thanks Nicole.

Give me a few hours to get to computer...I'll answer completely. Sitting at Dr office now...

Nicole

DiscusDrew
06-26-2012, 12:14 PM
Doing water changes really accomplishes nothing in terms of ridding the tank of nasties.... SO as skip says you can PP the tank... WILL kill all beneficial bacteria. You can also do what's called a "dry out" completely empty the tank, allow to stand dry for a day or two, then refill. This allows pathogen cycles to pass without hosts. Other option if time is on you're side you can just move the old fish and then just let the tank run without any fish in it for an extended period of time, this is not foolproof but again your removing the hosts and so most anything harmful will die off in time. Just make sure you do something if you want a true QT. And technically the last two approaches I listed will not get rid of certain pathogens, also just remember that even though your old tank mates had zero problems, there is no guarantee that they aren't carrying a discus specific pathogen that doesn't take over until their specific host is introduced... I.e. your discus. Technically for the dry out method the tank and equipment should be sprayed with alcohol and allowed to dry twice.

nwehrman
06-26-2012, 12:23 PM
The tank I want to put the new discus in does have a thin layer of sand, but nothing else. Sounds like since I am not in the emergency you folks were in returning from ATL, then it would be better to "actively" QT new fish in new bare bottom tank. Even if I do this, I want to add the new stock to the tank I emptied at some point after QT, so should I do to avoid exposing new fish to anything from fish i pulled out of this tank? Or...is this why you were suggesting I "treat/medicate the tank I want to put the discus into QT in"? That would effectively clean the tank of any left over nasties while they are being QTd.

So here is what I am thinking:

1) Move fish to new tank
2) Perform 2-3 large daily WCs in empty tank to "flush" out as much as possible.
3) Add 6 new discus to tank
4) Follow normal QT regimen, treat as required
5) Add a sacrificial lamb from new stock into tank with old stock and monitor
6) Reunite all fish if all goes well

Does that plan sound alright?

Also can you remind me what steps Dick and Andre suggested at NADA for "actively" quarantining in terms of salt or meds.

Thanks as always,

Darren

Ok - here goes...

I would just leave the current tank as is if thats eventually where everyone will end up. I would put the new guys in a new tank - really like the pure pond or pure aquarium bacteria products from Bill (Inland Empire Discus) to help with cycle once you add the discus to your brand new qt tank. This tank should be bare bottom for easy of cleaning/medicating. Then proceed with your choice of standard QT procedures. I am treating for flukes and deworming and treating with metro also, on my guys and probably some pp baths also! Get them fat and sassy - then will introduce one "lamb" from my current clean stock to their bare bottom QT observe for at least two more weeks then combine if all is swell. My clean stock is more valuable than the new ones in QT...even though my show fish is in the QT tank! So this will tell me if the fish in QT are carriers for something my clean fish will come down with or vice versa... And it's still not 100% till all are together for at least a month. It's risky but that's what we have to do sometimes so the process is to minimize the risks - that's why I am treating my QT tanks before hand. Even though every fish at my house seems perfectly healthy right now. And I have treated my stock I call clean -- they could be carriers for something I'm not aware of yet.

Nicole

nwehrman
06-26-2012, 12:24 PM
Whew - that turned into a book.

Nicole

Cambik
06-28-2012, 12:56 PM
I know most of us that braught home fish from NADA are doing some sort of medication process to make sure we are not putting our existing fish in danger. Although I know myself and skip are seriously considering getting rid of our existing stock to make room for these Massive show fish we got. My others are runts compared to these guys/gals....

Skip
06-28-2012, 01:00 PM
I know most of us that braught home fish from NADA are doing some sort of medication process to make sure we are not putting our existing fish in danger. Although I know myself and skip are seriously considering getting rid of our existing stock to make room for these Massive show fish we got. My others are runts compared to these guys/gals....

yep!! ALL MY FISH ARE FOR SALE!!

Cambik
06-28-2012, 01:01 PM
Hey skip you still want those Fire reds?

Skip
06-28-2012, 01:05 PM

no

Skip
06-28-2012, 01:06 PM

wait?! wha?!

ZX10R
06-28-2012, 01:22 PM
you could just PP the tank.. that would clean it all out

I do this but use bleach. After I pull the fish from my QT tank (30 gallon) I pour bleach in it let it run for a day, drain the water wipe everything down, let it sit for a day empty, fill with water run a day filled, do a large WC then add fish.

Skip
06-28-2012, 06:38 PM
I do this but use bleach. After I pull the fish from my QT tank (30 gallon) I pour bleach in it let it run for a day, drain the water wipe everything down, let it sit for a day empty, fill with water run a day filled, do a large WC then add fish.

hey.. how much bleach you put in her 10gallon.. i have two used aquaclears.. i want to clean up.. and store..

Orange Crush
06-28-2012, 06:46 PM
Another option is to buy a new QT tank and equipment. You can get tanks for $1 per Gal (40 gal = $40) at Petco then you don't have to go through the hastle of sterilizing everything.

DLock3d
06-28-2012, 09:14 PM
Skip you want the fire reds I have? I can't get them to spawn for anything.

Skip
06-28-2012, 09:41 PM
Pm me. At my thursday job

ZX10R
06-28-2012, 09:49 PM
hey.. how much bleach you put in her 10gallon.. i have two used aquaclears.. i want to clean up.. and store..

I don't measure just pour it in until I feel there is enough in there more the better :D