PDA

View Full Version : sand????? need advise??????

krislewis3
06-27-2012, 06:00 AM
I need your advise on the BEST sand to use as substrate. Specifically, what size sand looks best/vacuums best!!!!! Im not concerned with price, I just dont want to buy the wrong thing. I used the brand 'Supernaturals' once , and the grain size was too fine, however, the package did not give a size, so I dont know how to compare it!! Any tips?????:confused:

Orange Crush
06-27-2012, 06:13 AM
This is what I use http://www.lanemt.com/index.htm I got it at Home Depot 100#/$8 It is a very pretty white and needed minimal rinsing
Here is a grain size analysis http://www.lanemt.com/LM_typical_screen.htm I got the 20/30, some gets vacuumed up with my python but most does not. You could get the larger grain but it might be too course if you have plecos/catfish etc.

krislewis3
06-27-2012, 07:39 AM
I love the white sand, however, its been advised on this site, to go with beige or pink to keep the debri from showing up as much. I feel like it would show equally as much as on the white. How do you feel about that? Also, is the 20/30 super fine?

Elliots
06-27-2012, 07:51 AM
This is all opinion. What is the best sand is opinion. Which looks best is opinion. It is your tank, your choice. Different sands have different properties. I purchased HTH, a silica sand. I looked for Aqua Quartz, a brand name of quartz sand it was unavailable in NYC. I looked it up, silica and quartz are the same. I will have plants. I will use root tabs and fertilize the water column. I opted to not go for Eco Complete or other sand that fertilizes plants because eventually you either have to replace the sand or fertilize.

Swedgin
06-27-2012, 09:10 AM
I'm using pool filter sand and am quite happy with it.

buddha1200
06-27-2012, 11:45 AM
i use pool filter sand as well,vacuums easy and does not cloud the water column when stirred up.

Elliots
06-27-2012, 01:20 PM
My error, HTH and Aqua Quartz are both pool filter sands. I should have put that info. in my orig. post.

DonMD
06-27-2012, 01:38 PM
Go to Leslie's Pool Supply and pick up a 40 lb. bag or 2, $10 bucks each. Simple.

a volar
06-27-2012, 03:18 PM
Pool filter sand works wonderfull for me, I add one 50 pounds bag to my 200 gal tank, it's just enough to cover bottom glass..

tonytheboss1
06-27-2012, 10:12 PM
I looked for Aqua Quartz, a brand name of quartz sand it was unavailable in NYC.

:bandana: Deciding to switch mine over & this is what was recommended to me

Aqua Quartz® 50lbs Pool Filter Sand (61308)
Item no: 83029 $12.99 5.0

Just got a bag last week. Havn't had time to re-scape yet.
Ace Hardware (& other places I'm sure). Order online & ship it to an Ace store close to you for P/U. "T"

( http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11683357#showReviews )

Elliots
06-28-2012, 05:58 AM
Tony, I ordered Aqua Quartz from ACE hardware on 3rd Street in Manhattan. I received HTH. I asked the store manager to make sure it was Aqua Quartz and she said that is what I will get. I ordered it last Saturday, June 23rd. If you look at the internet posting the picture is HTH and the text says Aqua Quartz. Did you actually get Aqua Quartz?

Orange Crush
06-28-2012, 04:52 PM
If you look at the internet posting the picture is HTH and the text says Aqua Quartz.
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11683357
If you enter 83029 (the item # Tony listed) or the words "aqua quartz" this same page comes up

If you look at the one comment on that page the person said they used it for their aquarium. Worry less about the brand name and more about the content of whats in the bag. Pool filter sand is good. Play sand is what you have to be careful of because it may contain anti-caking chemicals.
This sand is 20#

Elliots
06-28-2012, 05:27 PM
I just checked the ACE website. Item 83029 came up a picture of HTH sand and text that said Aqua Quartz. Tonytheboss who is also in NYC states he purchased a bag last week of AQ brand. I do not know if there is any difference between the two brands. It could be the company that made Aqua Quartz changed hands and now calls it HTH. I have not personally ever seen AQ sand. I asked the manager of the ACE Hardware on 3rd St. in Manhattan to order me three bags on Saturday, June 23. I told her what the internet page said and pictured. I asker her to verify that I was getting AQ brand sand. She said I would get AQ brand. I ordered but the order turned up to be HTH sand. I have been trying to get AQ brand for about three weeks near NYC and I have been unsuccessful. I read on the internet that pool filter sand is now used less and less.
Perhaps the two sands are the same, perhaps not. If I cannot find AQ brand by Sunday I'll take the HTH. AQ brand is called quartz sand, HTH is said to be silica. I checked on the internet and quartz sand is silica sand.

Orange Crush
06-28-2012, 05:49 PM
When I was first looking for sand to put in my tank I went to my local AquaQuip store for pool filter sand. They said they had some but that it was clear silica sand. Silica is quartz but it can either be in the form of real sand or tiny glass beads. That is probably why it said that PFS is being used less, because it is becoming more common to use the glass now. Just make sure what you get is real PFS not glass and you will be fine.

bonginator
06-28-2012, 06:11 PM
I also have pool filter sand. I couldn't find it at ace so just went to the local hot tub store and they had plenty of it and it was cheap. I like that it shows the detrius as it makes it easier to clean. If you have any sort of algae, it also will build up on the white sand so when I vacuum, I go deep to stir it up so it always looks white and clean...

Elliots
06-28-2012, 06:25 PM
Thanks OC, I saw the HTH and it said "Silica". I will check that it is not glass tomorrow before I pick it up. I do not want to return 150lbs of glass. If I wanted to do stuff like that I'd join a gym.

Orange Crush
06-28-2012, 06:37 PM
Thanks OC, I saw the HTH and it said "Silica". I will check that it is not glass tomorrow before I pick it up. I do not want to return 150lbs of glass. If I wanted to do stuff like that I'd join a gym.
If its not clear I wouldn't worry about it.
Why join a gym when you can lug 150# back and forth. It's cheaper.

tonytheboss1
06-29-2012, 07:44 PM
Tony, I ordered Aqua Quartz from ACE hardware on 3rd Street in Manhattan. I received HTH. I asked the store manager to make sure it was Aqua Quartz and she said that is what I will get. I ordered it last Saturday, June 23rd. If you look at the internet posting the picture is HTH and the text says Aqua Quartz. Did you actually get Aqua Quartz?

:bandana: Sorry been so busy. You're right, the bag does say HTH. Was told by store mgr. that pool filter sand #20 is ideal for aquarium use. (haven't put it in yet). I did chk further & it appears to be the same sand (Arch Chemicals or Fairmount Minerals). http://spartanpools.com/aqua-quartz-pool-filter-sand-50lb-p-183.html .http://www.sears.com/shc/s/hth-aqua-quartz-pool-filter-sand-50-lb/p-SPM2288313803P http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/LargeImage.aspx?SKU=83029&Image=2010/83029.jpg My guy is further uptown (119 St). He assures me this is good for our purpose. All plants removed. Still removing gravel 1/3 at a time. 2/3 done. No spike so far. "T"

Elliots
06-29-2012, 08:24 PM
Thanks Tony, I had read that AQ brand was good for aquariums. I am glad that they, AQ and HTH, are the same. I've been trying to find AQ brand and these store employees do not know about the product. It is not their fault that they do not know, how much pool filter sand do they sell in Manhattan? My ACE Hardware store manager did not know that they sold it at all. I think you and I could be the only recent customers in Manhattan

tonytheboss1
06-30-2012, 12:50 PM
:bandana: lol lol lol!! My man knew what & why I wanted it but told me the reason they don't stock it is most requests are for play sand. dirty, caking sand is what some folks work with he says cause it's cheap. Home Depot sells it buy the ton. Same w/ Lowes & Menards. I've read some on here choose it but I think spending the couple xtra sheckels is best for my guys (&gals?). Best of luck w/ your project. I'll try to post pictures when mines done. It should be completely bare-bottom by Independence Day!! (How ironic). Taking it slow so as not to upset the 'applecart'. No spikes. Pulling all those plants kinda broke my heart but it's for the best. I know, I know, I know yous all told me so! lol No harm no foul. "T"