PDA

View Full Version : Possible to remix other discus with an established pair?

Corona
06-27-2012, 09:23 PM
Over a year ago, I got new four discus from Kenny at around 3" - 3.5." Within a month or two, two discus paired off. Every time I fed the fishes, the pair would take turns keeping the other two discus away while one of them ate. They drove the other two discus into a corner and kept them there. I had to give away the non-paired discus to a LFS.

Well, the pair is like 5" - 6" now and never fight and get along quite well. I wanted to add different colored discus into the tank with them; but, really believe the established pair will drive any other discus into a corner, like what they did when they were young.

I just wanted to know if anyone have been able to successfully add back other Adult discus with an established pair. I am not sure whether I should even attempt it. I am believing I will see the same behavior again. Just seeking comments to confirm.

Thanks.

DiscusDrew
06-27-2012, 10:22 PM
I do it, no problems but in my opinion its tank size that matters most. If the non-paired fish have room then the paired fish should end up picking a spot to breed and such and should keep the others away but if they have room in the tank they will be fine, mine do it all the time in their big tank until I pull them out to breed. Also make sure there are enough other large fish, so get another 4 or so that way you dont get issues with them.

DiscusDrew
06-27-2012, 10:23 PM
I think Pat and a few others do this as well, Pat even raises her fry in the big tank.

discuspaul
06-27-2012, 10:52 PM
I do it, no problems but in my opinion its tank size that matters most. If the non-paired fish have room then the paired fish should end up picking a spot to breed and such and should keep the others away but if they have room in the tank they will be fine, mine do it all the time in their big tank until I pull them out to breed. Also make sure there are enough other large fish, so get another 4 or so that way you dont get issues with them.

Very good advice. That's the way to do it.

Corona
06-27-2012, 11:20 PM
I'm very grateful to know. Thanks!

cjr8420
06-28-2012, 12:01 AM
Over a year ago, I got new four discus from Kenny at around 3" - 3.5." Within a month or two, two discus paired off. Every time I fed the fishes, the pair would take turns keeping the other two discus away while one of them ate. They drove the other two discus into a corner and kept them there. I had to give away the non-paired discus to a LFS.

Well, the pair is like 5" - 6" now and never fight and get along quite well. I wanted to add different colored discus into the tank with them; but, really believe the established pair will drive any other discus into a corner, like what they did when they were young.

I just wanted to know if anyone have been able to successfully add back other Adult discus with an established pair. I am not sure whether I should even attempt it. I am believing I will see the same behavior again. Just seeking comments to confirm.

Thanks.
this is part of the reason 4 discus is not a recommended number if u plan on just geting 2 more or smaller discus u will probally have the same problems.if possible put the pair in a different tank get new ones put them in display for qt let them get established then add the pair back.just curious on the pair have they spawned at all or just get along with each other?

Corona
06-28-2012, 12:50 AM
It actually is a much longer story. I had lost several batches of discus before due to parasites from infected discus I bought locally from a seller. After I disinfected the whole tank and everything, I just tried with less discus and just picked up 4 from Kenny to restart. I live like an hour away from Kenny. I wasn't really interested in raising frys.

I didn't expect that two of them would pair off so fast when they were kind of young. They spawned many times. The first few times, the male ate the eggs. I was unprepared for them spawning. They spawned like 5-8 times on the intake tube of the filter before I was able to get the breeding cone. After I got the breeding cone, the female would want to use it (she would peck on the cone); but, the male always got her to go back to the intake tube.

I do like how the two do their courtship dances, nudging, etc. and they are always together. They are a male and female, not two of the same sex. The male is much larger than the female and always follows her after the eggs are laid to fertilize them. Their behavior and fin movements are very different, especially when they do their courtship dance. One time I thought the eggs were infertile and was trying to clean the tank, next thing I know there are little black eyes on some of the eggs. The pair started dive bombing me and the suction cleaner I was using.

Right now, I only want to add some adult discus around their size for show, not really interested in breeding. But, how the pair always hangs around each other is nice.