PDA

View Full Version : My PH is in the range of 7.8-8.0 ?

mr.wen
06-28-2012, 08:52 PM
just starting to get stuff ready for my 75gal show tank. My ph is high like 7.8-8.0 is this way to high or do I need to do ro water. Not looking to breed. I did see in my fluval filter it has peat media I can use would that help? Or right out of the tap at 7.8 is fine? ( I do have a 55gal age barrel for the water)

Lenin
06-28-2012, 09:53 PM
Do not try and change the chemistry out of the tap, just use what you have, I have a 7.8 and I do not do anything to it. The fish will be fine.

Orange Crush
06-28-2012, 09:53 PM
The pH of 7.8-8.0 is just fine, many people here keep their discus in that pH with no problems. Discus want consistancy of water perams so I would not use the peat otherwise your pH will be one thing in the tank and another when you do a water change which is very stressful on them.
It is best to age your water if possible and since you have an aging barrel I would utilize it. It will take care of microbubbles and pH changes due to off gassing of CO2 and you can make the temp in the barrel the same as what is in the tank. Just use a heater and airstone in the barrel and let it sit for 24 hours then add Seachem Prime of Safe to the barrel just before adding the water to the tank.

mr.wen
06-28-2012, 09:58 PM
Thanks that sounds good to me.

Keith Perkins
06-28-2012, 09:59 PM
The pH of 7.8-8.0 is just fine, many people here keep their discus in that pH with no problems. Discus want consistancy of water perams so I would not use the peat otherwise your pH will be one thing in the tank and another when you do a water change which is very stressful on them.
It is best to age your water if possible and since you have an aging barrel I would utilize it. It will take care of microbubbles and pH changes due to off gassing of CO2 and you can make the temp in the barrel the same as what is in the tank. Just use a heater and airstone in the barrel and let it sit for 24 hours then add Seachem Prime of Safe to the barrel just before adding the water to the tank.

+1

Chicago Discus
06-28-2012, 10:16 PM
Mr.Wen we are starting a Discus group in the midwest in Oct you are very welcome to join here is the Link....http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?97096-Forming-the-MWDA/page6

KV_Discus
06-28-2012, 10:52 PM
believe it or not but all my domestic discus are living and doing fine with my very hard water with ph of 9.0, so you will have no problem keeping them with 8.0 PH but as other pointed out, don't try to lower the ph and play with ph drop med.

Brokenrack
06-29-2012, 10:17 AM
Mine do great in PH 8.