PDA

View Full Version : Adding Cichlid to Discus Tank

farzadkavari
06-29-2012, 11:31 AM
Hello, I am planning to spice up my tank and add some cichlids to my tank. I currently have a 90 gallon tank with 8 Discus (3.5") 4 corey catfish, Bristle-nose and assassin snails. Below is the list of Cichlids I have come up with that should be compatible with my Discus. Please Advise. Which ones are more preferred? Also anything that is not listed below?

Flag Cichlid or Festivum, Flag cichlids (Laetecara sp.)

Rams (blue, gold, and Bolivian)

Uaru (Uaru amphiacanthoides)

Keyholes (Cleithracara maronii)

Checkerboards (Dicrossus sp.)

Apistogramma Borellii - Umbrella Cichlid - Borelli's Cichlid

Angel Fish

Swedgin
06-30-2012, 04:06 AM
I reckon your tank size would only allow for a pair of either those species considering your discus will grow some more. I personally love the Apistgrammas so I'd go with those. I don't know that much about Uarus but I can imagine a spawning pair can mess with your discus quite a bit. Angels are not my cup of tea...

shoveltrash
06-30-2012, 07:41 AM
sorry, I'm a purist - if you want Discus, have a Discus dedicated tank. I'm sure you'll get better advise from others - good luck.

Orange Crush
06-30-2012, 07:49 AM
A pair of rams or a pair of apistogrammas or a pair of dicrossus would be a good match. I have about 9 apistos total (but in diff tanks) 3 of whitch are with my discus and it works well except when the discus try to go near the eggs/fry at one end of the tank. That is when the female charges them so the discus have learned not to inhabit the part of the tank. lol
I have dicrossus in a non-discus tank and I love them. They have essentially the same requirements as the apistos so I would think that would also work well.

tonytheboss1
06-30-2012, 10:07 PM
:bandana: I would try a couple of GBR's not much more. Don't forget, that 3.5" will become 6.5" in time (8x). They'll need all that 90g. "T"

farzadkavari
07-02-2012, 09:52 AM
:bandana: I would try a couple of GBR's not much more. Don't forget, that 3.5" will become 6.5" in time (8x). They'll need all that 90g. "T"

I have added 4 adult angles and so far they are doing Great!! These Angels have no chance of dominating my Discus!