PDA

View Full Version : Food for SHOW tank

MrYin
07-01-2012, 08:35 PM
Hey just wondering what everyone is feeding their discus in the show tanks

mikula fronts
07-01-2012, 09:19 PM
I feed frozen bloodworms freeze dried california blackworms tetra color granules and prime reef flakes, I have mostly wilds and they are in a semi planted tank so I do not feed beefheart...

tonytheboss1
07-01-2012, 09:44 PM
:bandana: Mine is a bit extreme (OCD) but the choices are many. Food varies every couple a days - live blackworms, Hans frozen beef mix, San Fran Bay Frozen Bloodworms, Mysis Shrimp, Ocean Nutrition Discus Flakes, Als Austrailian freeze dried blackworms, O.S.I. Spirulina Flakes, NLS Discus Formula pellets & Dainichi Cichlid - Color FX + Vita-Chem once a week. "T"

MrYin
07-02-2012, 06:37 AM
Sounds like the homemade bh is not common to use in show tanks. Too much water fowl huh? Thanks for the replys

Bill63SG
07-02-2012, 05:44 PM
As far as any of the above,I also had good luck with beefheart flake from Ken's.

MrYin
08-08-2012, 06:55 AM
Just to follow up. I feed homemade bh all the way. Keepem fat! Just do more wc

CrazyAngels
08-08-2012, 09:26 AM
MrYin, maybe you need to clarify what your set up is like.. Are you talking planted/substrate/gravel??? or do you have just a big bare bottom tank (easy to clean) you are calling the show tank??? it would make a huge difference feeding BH depending on the setup. I surely would never make it a habit in the first type I mentioned, as there would be a huge chance to have food particles left behind that would ultimately foul the water. Anyway just my opinion. HTH

strawberryblonde
08-08-2012, 10:21 AM
I fed beefheart 2 times a day in my 115g show tank (small amount of sand, 2 pieces of driftwood and 3 potted plants) while my discus were still growing out - between months 8 - 12 of the growout period, but also did a 90% water change per day.

Now that they are mostly adults, I restrict beefheart to 1 feeding every other day, on water change day.

The rest of the time they eat a mixture of many types of flake food and Al's FDBW's.

CrazyAngels
08-08-2012, 11:29 AM
Toni, you said the key words Huge water change. Also your set up of having little substrate, potted plants and the like, allows you ease of maintenance during your WCs. Thus you are successful in the use of BH.. So I'm afraid that someone with a jungle set up and or heavily planted/lots of substrate, would think they can get away feeding BH and do once a week WC. You get the point...

strawberryblonde
08-08-2012, 12:13 PM
So very true Jorge! Thank you for making special note of the requirements for feeding it. I'd hate to have people fouling their show tanks with beefheart if they don't understand that they have to make the tank work around the the food.

seanyuki
08-08-2012, 07:31 PM
need to know more of yr show tank(gallons) & discus size.....yr routine for water changes......young discus require higher protein food and adult discus require less protein foods.

nikond70s
08-09-2012, 02:55 AM
i feel all my fish in my show tank live blackworms. been feeding only live blackworms for like 5 years to all my fishes. but most wont recommend it cuz they are afraid of diseases and swear by it.

MrYin
08-09-2012, 06:58 AM
I tried the planted tank and I was not succesful with that. My show tank now is sand bottom and driftwood. I have 2 55g I'm using for grow outs which get wc everyday. I feed Bh twice a day in the show tank and do 30-50% wc every other day. Been doing this with great success since I've pulled all the plants. Now with plants I totally agree with you guys. Maintaining good water sucks.