PDA

View Full Version : 3 stage carbon filters

random-cichlid
07-01-2012, 09:13 PM
how do i know when to change my carbon filters ? how do i know if there still working efficiently is there a test kit for chlorine .

yogi
07-01-2012, 09:29 PM
Yes there are chlorine test kits. If you can't find one at a pet shop try Home Depot or a pool supply store.

random-cichlid
07-02-2012, 12:38 AM
I have read and been advised that the pool ones are not accurate because they test for a larger ppm of chlorine by the time i get a read from a pool test kit my fish would be all dead
Does any 1 have a brand name or a test kit they use that they can put me on to please THAT YOU USE YOURSELF

Orange Crush
07-02-2012, 02:21 AM
You do not need carbon filters. Many people on here do not use them. It is an unneccessary expense. There is also some speculation that it is a potential cause of Hole in the Head Disease. I do not know if that is true but when I used to have carbon in my filters I had Gouramis that got HITH. However, once I stopped using carbon I never had a single case of HITH. Go figure.
I have not used them on any of my tanks for years now. However, if you use medicine you can put it in the filter to remove any medicine from the tank.

cjr8420
07-02-2012, 03:04 AM
any marine/reef sites have them for fish marinedepot has a nice digi for $50

You do not need carbon filters. Many people on here do not use them. It is an unneccessary expense. There is also some speculation that it is a potential cause of Hole in the Head Disease. I do not know if that is true but when I used to have carbon in my filters I had Gouramis that got HITH. However, once I stopped using carbon I never had a single case of HITH. Go figure.
I have not used them on any of my tanks for years now. However, if you use medicine you can put it in the filter to remove any medicine from the tank.3 stage carbon filter not carbon in filter.

joeymac
07-02-2012, 03:22 AM
I have not used them on any of my tanks for years now. However, if you use medicine you can put it in the filter to remove any medicine from the tank.

LOL!!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

random-cichlid
07-02-2012, 03:32 AM
hehehh ty for some advice thou im using 3 stage as stated in subject heading
/\\ cjr ty for that bit of info im not to sure on were i would find such a digi kit i have looked on all the usual sites i know but maybe you know of some other good on-line stores that i have never heard of cheers all in advance

Orange Crush
07-02-2012, 04:03 AM
Doh! I'm tired and read the 1st post where random-cichlid asked when to change the "carbon filter" and forgot what the title of the thread was. Silly me. :p

yogi
07-02-2012, 09:25 AM
This test kit dip strip also tests for chlorine. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4345+23793&pcatid=23793

cjr8420
07-02-2012, 12:52 PM
http://www.marinedepot.com/Hanna_Instruments_Checker_Colorimeter_Single_Item_ Monitors_Controllers_for_Saltwater_Aquariums-Hanna_Instruments-HN1181-FITEMOID-vi.html

Brokenrack
07-02-2012, 03:41 PM
http://www.thefilterguys.biz/test_kits.htm $15.00

CliffsDiscus
07-03-2012, 01:43 PM
I usually change the filter when the flow rate start to slow down, but still use a chlorine and chloramines remover at all times.

Cliff