PDA

View Full Version : Discus Jumped out and Survived!!!

farzadkavari
07-02-2012, 09:56 AM
Few days ago I got home and after sitting by the tank for 10 mins I realize than my Discus has jumped out and was laying on hardwood floor. Not sure how long the poor guy was there for but I instantly threw him back in the water and after spinning freely in water for 30 mins he was able to control himself and survived!! How long can Discus last outside of water? :)

Keith Perkins
07-02-2012, 10:52 AM
You're lucky, not that long.

rdiscus
07-02-2012, 10:56 AM
Lucky you :)

Elliots
07-02-2012, 11:03 AM
Maybe it is time to buy a cover for your tank? You can use Saran wrap or something like thay to cover holes for your HOB filter and other equipment.

farzadkavari
07-02-2012, 11:07 AM
Maybe it is time to buy a cover for your tank? You can use Saran wrap or something like thay to cover holes for your HOB filter and other equipment.

I do have glass top cover, it just that this time he happen to find the 1" gap close to the filter area... I gotta get get all those covered up...

Elliots
07-02-2012, 11:09 AM
Years ago I had hatchet fish and they would jump out of places I did not think were open. That is when I started using Saran Wrap.

discuspaul
07-02-2012, 11:43 AM
I had a discus jump out about 6 months ago. I was in another room and heard the 'plop' unto the hardwood floor, but at first I didn't identify the source of the sound. It was only about 15 to 20 minutes later that I entered the fish room and saw him on the floor. Got him right back into the tank and he was fine within about an hour. I figured he was out of water about 20 minutes. Just lucky.

daffyfish
07-02-2012, 12:45 PM
Had one jump, thru that small opening in the back. Landed between two dressers. It took a bit to get him out. He looked terrible. But, is as spunky as ever. Lesson learned. I cut some foam to fill that small gap.

farzadkavari
07-02-2012, 02:37 PM
I do believe that having my floor being "Hardwood" helped him survive and last longer. The carpet would have sucked him dry and suffocate him much faster.