PDA

View Full Version : scared discus

tigger
07-02-2012, 10:45 AM
I have had discus before but not like these. They are3 5" or pre breeders in size. They came from a lady that had them in a heavly planted tank (46 bow). Not a real open area to swim. Since I have had them they have been in a tank that is really open (55g). They have been in in the 55g for about a month. They are really scared. They dart and hit the tank side and hardly come out from hinding. What should I do to make them more comfortable to swim out in the open and not hide all of the time. Right now I have a decoration that they hide in and two potted swords plants. I want to make it a planted tank but not able to right at this moment. So this is what I have to work with Please help....

farzadkavari
07-02-2012, 04:27 PM
I have had discus before but not like these. They are3 5" or pre breeders in size. They came from a lady that had them in a heavly planted tank (46 bow). Not a real open area to swim. Since I have had them they have been in a tank that is really open (55g). They have been in in the 55g for about a month. They are really scared. They dart and hit the tank side and hardly come out from hinding. What should I do to make them more comfortable to swim out in the open and not hide all of the time. Right now I have a decoration that they hide in and two potted swords plants. I want to make it a planted tank but not able to right at this moment. So this is what I have to work with Please help....

Mine used to do the same. Just give them time to get used to the new environment. It could take 1-4 weeks for them to come out. Try not to spook them with light or fast movement.

tigger
07-02-2012, 04:59 PM
oh thanks. I did take the decoration out that they were hiding behind. Thanks for helping. I love love discus. I thought if I get more if that would help?

Donno
07-02-2012, 05:59 PM
I have 7 that are in a 50 gallon until they get bigger. At first they did exactly as you described, they darted crashing into the tank sides whenever I walked by. A few weeks later and they associate me with food and aren't spooked at all.
Every time I walk by now they go to the top of the tank and wait for a treat.

strawberryblonde
07-02-2012, 06:02 PM
Be sure to spend as much time as possible just sitting in front of the tank looking at them as well as feeding them by hand. And don't shy away from water changes just because they act scared...it won't stress them out!

The more you walk around, sit and look at them, feed them, put your hands in the tank, the more they'll come to think of it as "normal" and will acclimate.

mmorris
07-03-2012, 11:06 AM
Only three? Discus need to be in a group of at least six to feel secure. Some say five. Also, was the tank cycled when you put them in it? Are there other fish in the tank? How often do you do water changes and how much? Poor water quality (although it may look great to you) will have them behaving like this.

tigger
07-03-2012, 07:36 PM
I just got these monday.I had some angel that I was growing out. I drained it and wiped the tank sides and filled it back up with clean water. No other fish in the tank. I want to get more discus but money is really tight. I am doing 50% water change today. I think I should do it every day but with only 3 in the tank every other day would be okay? Well as long I don't over feed that is. how many can I put in a 55g ( I for got)? thanks for your replies. I will try to sit in front of the tank and i do walk buy it slowly (kind of) alot. I do seen to talk to them. Do any of you do the same? or am i werid?

mmorris
07-04-2012, 11:33 AM
You can put six in a 55 and 50% every other day should be fine-if the tank is cycled. I take it you got rid of the angels? I suspect your tank isn't cycled, in which case you ought to be doing wc's daily for a while. Have a careful read of this: http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?86009-Beginner-s-Guide-to-Getting-Started-with-Discus

tigger
07-10-2012, 08:29 AM
update.... I had to take out the potted plants. They are hitting the pots and injury them self. I notice one smaked it self (some how) and tour some skin (the color) right off of its head. I need to know what kind of meds. to use for fungus or any thing that mught come up if these sores have a problem. I do 50%wc every other day. I may start doing every day wc until they heal. IDK what to do with these guys. I thought and you can tell me if I am on the right mind of thinking. I thought that not doing a bare bottom and go with a planted tank. So they don't have nothing to hurt them selfs on any thing. Since they are use of it. Another ?.... If i get more discus will they teach the new ones to be scared and run or will that help them be more social?

mmorris
07-10-2012, 11:38 AM
Something isn't right here. They shouldn't be going around hurting themselves. How many have sores? Can you post pics? I can't recommend anything but clean water for most injuries. Is your tank cycled? If you don't know what that means, ask. I'd get this group sorted before getting more. If and when you get more, I recommend you quarantine for a month or more. The original three will be happy to have the company if all are healthy.

tigger
07-10-2012, 03:08 PM
The tank is cycled. I had the tank to grow out angelfish fry. Two of them has sores. I can not seem to find any on the other one. They hudle in the corner together most of the day. They are more acttive at night and act like more like discus until they see me or I move. Then back down to the bottom and in the corner or behind something. We have to move slowly around the tank or they will just freak out and run. I never seen discus do this before. I feel so bad for them. If some one tell me step by step how to post pic I will try to do so. I have a kodiac camera (old one). I got it at walmart. Hraay for wally world. lol They are just hudle towards the bottom of the tank and in the corner. I have moved my chair next in front of the tank so they will get use of me since I stay home.

tonytheboss1
07-10-2012, 09:05 PM
:bandana: I'm no expert but I think the combo of 'new' environment & small numbers has them in a panic state. W/C's is best med for healing (maybe a touch of MelaFix). It's gonna take time & patience. The more they see you feeding, cleaning, watching, hpoefully they'll relax. Adding a few more might also help them feel secure. Maybe some dithers. Good luck. "T"

tigger
07-10-2012, 10:05 PM
Thank you for all of ya helping me with this. I am so great full for your opinions and advice. I have moved my chair next to the tank. what do you mean by "dithers" MR.T Question... just a thought came to me. would it help to add some other fish (small) in the tank? Like neons ect..

mmorris
07-10-2012, 10:22 PM
I've never found dither fish to settle discus when there are aren't enough discus. How long was the gap between when the angels were moved out and the discus were moved in? I recommend you test the water in the tank for ammonia and nitrite.

tonytheboss1
07-11-2012, 12:03 PM
Question... just a thought came to me. would it help to add some other fish (small) in the tank? Like neons ect..

:bandana: BINGO!! DITHERS! It's worth a shot. some of the tetras or rams might help. mmorris has a valid point. They are shoaling fish. Ultimately adding more discus is your best course of action. "T"

Skip
07-11-2012, 12:20 PM
the problem is they like to be in groups of at least 5-6.. the more the merrier..

you have three.. they are freakout.. now becareful of just adding discus str8 to tank and breaking qt..

if you do, its at your fishes own risk..

tigger
07-11-2012, 01:59 PM
thanks for your opinions. I am looking towards cardinal tetras and blue rams. I am I on the right road of thinking? I was wondering since they were in the tank with plants and rock. They seem to more at the bottom of the tank. Like they are looking at them selfs. should I go with rock and not bare bottom? Would that help to keep them off of the bottom?