PDA

View Full Version : Discus have laid eggs!

Mep1127
07-02-2012, 07:14 PM
Hey guys,

Although getting discus to even lay eggs is great, I actually don't want them to spawn as of now. I just went to go feed them, noticed "salmon" colored eggs by my Fx5's intake. I turn off the Fx5 so it allows the discus to eat peacefully. So i can assume when I turn it back on those eggs are gone =/. Aside separation is there some way to make it stop for now? The aggression is crazy in my tank and everyone is scared to eat =/. I have no spare tank to put mom and dad in right now. And correct me if I'm wrong does it not prevent discus from growing when they spawn at such a young age? All my discus still have a bit of growing to do.

It is probably not a big deal but I hate to see "potential" fry gone.

thanks for any input BTW mom is a red cover and dad is a blue diamond at 4.5" and 5"

JenTN
07-02-2012, 07:16 PM
Just suck the eggs up with a siphon, its quick and easy. Ive done it several times with my pair and with angelfish.

Bill63SG
07-02-2012, 07:28 PM
In a community tank they won't last long.I belive I read it on here somewhere,think it was Liz,that it's not the egg laying,but the feeding and raising the fry that can slow growth.

Mep1127
07-03-2012, 04:33 PM
In a community tank they won't last long.I belive I read it on here somewhere,think it was Liz,that it's not the egg laying,but the feeding and raising the fry that can slow growth.

I see, thanks for that info. All I have in my tank are discus, one pleco and some rummynose tetras. I have a 30 gallon on hand but it needs to be cleaned and cycled.

Mep1127
07-05-2012, 02:59 PM
Looks like i have wrigglers.... the clutch is very small. Ugh this is somewhat inconvenient for me right now. =/

Bill63SG
07-05-2012, 04:58 PM
But at least you have a confirmed pair.