PDA

View Full Version : cloudy water, algae?

cubert
07-05-2012, 09:04 PM
i recently moved my 50g tank downstairs, and in the last few days it seems the water quality took a hit. i got a new sponge for my filter (aquaclear 70) and put in new ammonia pads on top, and put in new phosguard/matrix carbon in bags above that, and it still hasn't seemed to help. i always have the blinds shut, but could enough sun be getting in to make algae? i don't see it growing on the glass but i'm not too sure what else it could be.

edit: i also got my water checked at my LFS, and everything is fine.

joeymac
07-05-2012, 09:30 PM
Did you thoroughly rinse all the new media you put in the filters? Back when I used to use all that **** I remember it would cloud up my water if I didn't rinse it all off enough.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

cubert
07-06-2012, 10:56 AM
ya i always try to rinse everything, but it started getting cloudy before i even put the new stuff in :/

Skip
07-06-2012, 10:58 AM
what color algae? brown or green..

how long have the bio filters been running? is this tank new

flexo248
07-06-2012, 03:20 PM
watch for nitrate spike.....i happened to me. the nitrate will make brown algae grow

side question to warlock......what happen if you get green....is it good?

perea1419
07-06-2012, 04:01 PM
If u get green water it means u have and agae problem agae fix will take care of that and it u have white water means ur tank is not cicled or does not have enought beneficial bacteria

cubert
07-06-2012, 04:04 PM
last night when the light was on it looked green, during the day it just looks really cloudy, my tank has been running for about 2 months now. i tested my water again and no traces of ammonia, nitrite or nitrate.

applekrate
07-06-2012, 04:53 PM
Cubert

When you take a flash light in semi-dark and shine it into the tank are there white dust like particles. Sometimes looking down the side of the tank will ID the color of the water.

Orange Crush
07-06-2012, 05:57 PM
If u get green water it means u have and agae problem agae fix will take care of that and it u have white water means ur tank is not cicled or does not have enought beneficial bacteria
Algea fix has been known to kill fish and anyways it is not a solution to the problem. Better to do lots of water changes and make sure your water perams are good and use less light. If you have plants you have to make sure that your ferts/light/CO2 is balanced.

Orange Crush
07-06-2012, 06:05 PM
ammonia pads on top, and put in new phosguard/matrix carbon in bags above that.......
edit: i also got my water checked at my LFS, and everything is fine.
There is probably no need for all of that stuff. The LFS are just trying to make money off of stuff that has to be replaced frequently. All I have in my filters is the foam. No carbon, no ammonia pads, nothin'
Your tank will be healthier in the long run, more self sufficient and less prone to potentially fatal conditions.
You should allow your BB colony to grow in numbers (by "eating" ammonia in the water) which it cannot do when you are starving it by using ammonia pads. Do not use ammonia pads, if you have ammonia in your tap water then just use Seachem's Safe or Prime as a tap water conditioner and it will make it safe for your fish but leave it for the BB to use.

Buy a test kit for ammonia, nitrIte, nitrAte, and pH rather than rely on the store testing fot you. You never know when you might need to test and the store might not be open then, saves money and time in the long run anyways.

cubert
07-06-2012, 09:51 PM
got some algaefix and that fixed it within an hour, thx for the responses guys.

Orange Crush
07-07-2012, 05:00 AM
got some algaefix and that fixed it within an hour, thx for the responses guys.
Algae fix has been known to kill fish and it is only a temporary fix not a solution to the problem. Here is one of many threads I have read over the years about algae fix killing fish. But, it is your fish to care for how you want.......
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?143357-Algae-Fix-killing-our-fish!

cubert
07-08-2012, 11:14 AM
damn didn't even realize this, thanks for that. haven't lost any fish but ill try another alternative next time, thanks

Orange Crush
07-08-2012, 01:12 PM
damn didn't even realize this, thanks for that. haven't lost any fish but ill try another alternative next time, thanks
I wrote that in post #9, I guess you missed it. Anyways, I would not use chemicals because it will not eliminate the problem. You need to find out why you are having algae problems and fix that. Chemicals can be dangerous and at the very least an expense you don't need.
Usually, increasing the amount of water changes you do will cure the problem.
What is your water change rutine?

cubert
07-08-2012, 02:56 PM
yes i went to the store before checking the forum first it seems. ive been doing 25% a week so far, about to set up my RO unit today hopefully (having to lug up several 5g jugs puts a toll on my back), in which i will do more per week.

edit: i dont use tap water, i get RO water from water shops.

PAR23
07-08-2012, 03:31 PM
i tested my water again and no traces of ammonia, nitrite or nitrate.

This might be your problem......sounds like a bacterial bloom in an uncycled tank.

Orange Crush
07-08-2012, 04:59 PM
This might be your problem......sounds like a bacterial bloom in an uncycled tank.
Good point. Re-reading the OPs 1st post I see that he used all new stuff into his filter there by eliminating almost the entire BB colony.
The nice thing about using only foam in the filter is you can clean it in recycled tank water weekly but they never need be replaced unless it is falling apart (hasn't happened to any of mine yet). This way all of your BB colony is on stuff that will not be thrown out/replaced.

You really need to be doing more water changes and test your water perams regularly. NitrIte and ammonia will kill your fish when you are cycling a tank. Part of the reason you have algae is because of the lack of enough water changes. I would do 70-90% daily but more when you get nitrItes and ammonia, to keep them to a bare minimum. It will take longer to cycle but you will not kill your fish this way. Also, use Seachem Prime or Safe tap water conditioner it will make the ammonia and nitrItes less toxic while allowing them to establish a BB colony.

cubert
07-08-2012, 09:44 PM
ok so im going to take out the pads and other things and try that. so if i get the seachem or safe tap water could i use my straight tap water? or is it safe to keep getting the RO water?

Orange Crush
07-09-2012, 04:20 AM
ok so im going to take out the pads and other things and try that. so if i get the seachem or safe tap water could i use my straight tap water? or is it safe to keep getting the RO water?
What are the perams of your tap water and RO water? TDS, pH, ammonia, nitrates...
If you do switch back to tap water don't do it in one big water change because the change in pH etc. could shock them.

cubert
07-09-2012, 04:55 PM
im not sure what the params are for the RO water, but i got my tap water tested and the ph is 7.5 and no nitrite/ammonia. i bought some prime just in case, is my tap water decent enough to age/use prime?

Orange Crush
07-10-2012, 03:10 AM
im not sure what the params are for the RO water, but i got my tap water tested and the ph is 7.5 and no nitrite/ammonia. i bought some prime just in case, is my tap water decent enough to age/use prime?
pH 7.5 is pretty good! Quite a few people here raise their discus in water that has a pH of 8 or 9. ALWAYS condition your tap water with Prime. :)

cubert
07-10-2012, 11:27 AM
sweet, so i assume i should fill up my jugs then add the necessary amount of prime? and is it better to age water?

Orange Crush
07-10-2012, 06:41 PM
sweet, so i assume i should fill up my jugs then add the necessary amount of prime? and is it better to age water?
Always better to age at the very least it hurts nothing. add Prime or Safe to the barrels just before putting water into the tank.
Since you have been using RO water don't do a large water change to switch over to tap the first time.

cubert
07-10-2012, 07:15 PM
how long is a typical age-ing? Would 10-20% be ok with the first initial change?

Orange Crush
07-10-2012, 07:22 PM
how long is a typical age-ing? Would 10-20% be ok with the first initial change?
24 hours with heater to match the tanks temp and an airstone for airation to de-gas any CO2 in the water.
You could probably do more than 10-20% but it depends on how different your water perameters are between what is in the tank and what the water is after aging for 24 hours with airation.

cubert
07-10-2012, 07:59 PM
cool, thanks a lot for the help