PDA

View Full Version : Wild Solomon X Piwowarski RT Spawn

Len
07-06-2012, 03:04 PM
Well I got a surprise today when I walked by and saw my wild solomon female and Red Turk male making runs on the sand by a piece of food I had dropped in a short time earlier. While it was going on the female drove any and all other fish away between runs, but once it was over they moved on and the spot was swarming with cories. Two positive outcomes were at least I was able to confirm the turk is a male (his tube is much thinner and pointed compared to hers which was wider and more blunt looking) The other positive is that when I had pretty much given up hope that any of these fish would spawn, it happened. I'm confused at the timing though because the tank has been dosed for several days with metronidazole and prazipro, the RO water had been replaced with 100% water changes using tap water and the temp had been bumped up to 90F. Now the questions are building. Do I finish the treatments? Do I leave them in that tank and set up a divider or do I move the pair? Also with all of the changes to parameters, I don't know which triggered the spawn so what to do for water?

nc0gnet0
07-06-2012, 03:22 PM
I have seen metro trigger spawns before. As for your other questions, it is my belief once you begin a treatment you should always finish it, with the only exception when the fish are having adverse effects to it.

Len
07-06-2012, 03:42 PM
Hey Rick,

Thanks for the reply. Tomorrow will be day 5 so finishing the treatment wont be a problem. My main concern now is what to do with the water in terms of parameters to improve odds they will spawn again. I can somehow partition part of the tank off, but there had been so many changes to the water I don't know where I should try as a target for the parameters once the treatment is over.

Len
07-08-2012, 12:24 AM
Well they were busy again today. I dosed the tank with metro, fed small amount and within a short time they were making more runs. I don't think there were any actual eggs though, because none of the other fish seemed attracted towards the area whereas yesterday every cory in the tank (about 30 or so) swarmed to the spot as soon as they were done.

Cameronv
07-08-2012, 12:39 AM
Take some pics for us len!

Len
07-08-2012, 01:00 AM
http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/4687/img54141.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/577/img54141.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

Not the best photo, but gives you an idea at least

Second Hand Pat
07-08-2012, 01:15 AM
She a beauty Len. Good luck with this pair :)

Second Hand Pat
07-08-2012, 01:16 AM
Dup

Len
07-08-2012, 01:28 AM
Thanks Pat,

It could be interesting. I remember seeing pictures Eddie had posted of fish he had from the same cross and they were very nice looking. My preference would have been to have her breed with the solomon male, but he's not in great shape now and even when he was, he showed little interest in her.

Cameronv
07-08-2012, 02:10 AM
Awesome pair. I love both of them, but I have a soft spot for piwow RT's ;) good luck breeding them.

Kingdom Come Discus
07-08-2012, 07:17 AM
I am anxious to see the offspring from these. Very nice fish indeed.

Len
07-25-2012, 02:24 PM
a new update :) They seem to be at it again. I didn't see any egg laying this time, but they are guarding a piece of wood in the back corner of the tank. They have been sectioned off from the rest of the tank with a piece of foam and since yesterday when I do water changes the male comes out and attacks the gravel cleaner when stick in in the tank. The way they're hovering at the back of the wood, I'm suspecting they may have laid on it but I don't want to turn it about to look so I guess I'll see what happens over the next few days. Here's hoping.

dadecountyalan
09-11-2012, 05:08 PM
hows this going len? i would LOVE TO GET SOME FRY!

Len
09-11-2012, 05:54 PM
He's still trying and she still has a headache

BobDaniel
09-11-2012, 07:16 PM
Can't stop love in action!

YSS
09-12-2012, 03:33 PM
He's still trying and she still has a headache

Hey, why does that sound so familiar and I am not talking about my fish. :)

Nice fish, by the way.