PDA

View Full Version : Red Melon Not Eating

nabilbb
07-10-2012, 01:21 PM
Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started
Red Melon not eating, every time I give food he comes to the front seems like he wants to eat but he doesn't

2. Symptoms
No eating at all
stays alone at the corner
All his colors are still nice and bright
never seen him poop

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.
nothing yet

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish
65G
6 Discus sizes 3"-6"
2 BN
2 Cories

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?
2 times a week 80-90%
Tank is running for 1.5 year
Bare Bottom
I don't age water

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp _____85-86

- ph _____ 7.8-7.9

- ammonia reading 0

- nitrite reading 0

- nitrate reading 0.X

- well water No

- municipal water yes

7. Any new fish/plants added recentlyBN pleco not QT but added after this started

No

ktm4us6
07-11-2012, 10:46 AM
I'm new to keeping discus, but sense nobody has replied I guess I will. I had a few of my juvies not eating also, I slowly raised the temp to 93deg and they all seam to be eating now. I'm thinking I have internal parasite problem and am using heat treatment to cure it. You have to be certain it's not external bacteria problem though, heat will make it worse. My Discus had flukes in which I treated them for it, and because of the extra stress from that I believe they developed the internal parasite problem. I am using heat with no meds.
Do a search for heat treatment on this forum. I wish I could help you more but like I said I am new to Discus and I don't want to steer you in the wrong direction. I hope others might have some more ideas for you.

Skip
07-11-2012, 10:51 AM
Nab..
something i picked up..

if fish eats but stays skinny.. worms.. treat for ROUND WORMS and TAPE Worms (2 diff. meds)
if fish does not eat and gets skinny.. Flagellates . (Metro )

nabilbb
07-11-2012, 05:21 PM
Nab..
something i picked up..

if fish eats but stays skinny.. worms.. treat for ROUND WORMS and TAPE Worms (2 diff. meds)
if fish does not eat and gets skinny.. Flagellates . (Metro )

Since he doesn't eat I am guessing Metro powder
Can i follow the instruction on the bottle?

Thanks

DiscusDrew
07-11-2012, 06:24 PM
No, read my response to your post in the other thread you just posted in. Run metro for 10 days at the dosage I gave in the other post, crank the heat as high as it will go basically, around 93 or so... Depending on what kind of metro you are using you will have to double or even triple the dose to get it up to 400 Mg/ 10 gal. If you let me know what kind you pick up I will give you specific dosing instructions. Sorry for the delayed response. Do 50% daily water changes during this treatment and until the fish improves.... Though honestly I would recommend upping your water change schedule period.

nabilbb
07-17-2012, 04:49 PM
No, read my response to your post in the other thread you just posted in. Run metro for 10 days at the dosage I gave in the other post, crank the heat as high as it will go basically, around 93 or so... Depending on what kind of metro you are using you will have to double or even triple the dose to get it up to 400 Mg/ 10 gal. If you let me know what kind you pick up I will give you specific dosing instructions. Sorry for the delayed response. Do 50% daily water changes during this treatment and until the fish improves.... Though honestly I would recommend upping your water change schedule period.

Can I do this in a cummunity tank since I don't have an extra tank?

DiscusDrew
07-17-2012, 05:48 PM
If there are plants then no, but otherwise yes.

nabilbb
07-17-2012, 05:54 PM
If there are plants then no, but otherwise yes.

no plants,
but why no if there are plants?

Thanks

DiscusDrew
07-17-2012, 08:35 PM
Most plants do not handle medications well but the primary reason I said no is because of the heat increase, a lot of plants are alreadypushing it at 84 degrees let alone into the 90's. As most know on here plants are not my area of expertise but I know enough to know it complicates medicating with a lot of medications and I believe metro is one of them but I could be wrong on that. However the heat factor I know is a big deal.

The end point... You are fine to medicate the whole tank. If you need help with dosing let me know the type of metro you are using and I can help. Most brands will need to be doubled or tripled from the recommended dosage. If you get pure powder you will always be better off.