PDA

View Full Version : Dodged a bullet--4 days without power while on vacation

kcb203
07-10-2012, 01:32 PM
Last December, I purchased 13 3" discus from Hans. They've all been doing great in a 75 gallon tank. I know they've outgrown it, but I haven't yet decided whether to give some away or buy a bigger home. In the last month, a couple have begun to lay eggs, but someone always gobbles them up.

On June 29, a big storm came through the DC area at 10:30 pm on a Friday night. I was leaving town at 6 am the following morning for a week-long vacation. Based on advice I read here, I didn't plan on feeding them for those 7 days. But the power went out and stayed out for about 96 hours, and the temps hit the upper 90s all four of those days. I've got a good-water change system set up, but it relies on pumps and I couldn't fathom walking a friend through the manual process while he was in the dark with a flashlight. But after four days, I realized I had to do something. I guided my friend through an 80% water change, and the replacement water was cold water straight out of the tap as the water heater was out, too. Fortunately, the tap water was probably in the upper 70s.

The power came back on soon after the water change. The tank has an internal sponge filter and a large AquaClear hanging off the back. I had another friend check on Thursday, and everyone was doing fine. I came back on Saturday night, and despite the stress and lack of food, there were fresh eggs in the tank! Unfortunately, my breeding pair is a red turquoise and a blue pigeon blood, so I have no plans to try to raise the fry. In any event, these eggs were gobbled up as well.

I was fully expecting to lose everything, so I'm quite grateful that everything worked out. The only loss was three pounds of beefheart mix in the freezer.

Second Hand Pat
07-10-2012, 01:39 PM
Wow, glad to hear everything ended fine.

DonMD
07-10-2012, 01:48 PM
Same as me, 4 days w/o power. Where abouts in the DC area are you?

brianyam
07-10-2012, 01:55 PM
That is why man....so many people buy all this fish equipment...get so worried about all these scenarios killing their fish...one of the best things to buy is a power generator. a big power outage hit toronto a while back. So many people lost fish during that power blackout. Also, you can use it for other stuff when you need it, camping..etc. Best $300-400 you will ever spend. Costco has good ones. Another good thing to have is battery air pumps. Bass Pro Shops has them for like $5.

shoveltrash
07-10-2012, 04:09 PM
this is my nightmare scenario!!!! so happy to hear your fish are ok!
I have well water, so without power I have nothing....no water, nada, zip. I need to figure out what size generator I'd need to power the well, the tanks, and some lights for the house.
(fish first you know :D)

Bill63SG
07-10-2012, 06:23 PM
Had thjs discusion with the wife not too long ago.Since we moved to the 'burbs,our lines are buried,but we still have lost power.Surrounding ares have lost power up to 5 days with recent storms.

laborelch
07-10-2012, 07:43 PM
+ 1 on the generator. Runs fishtanks, fridge and freezer + misc items as needed (that in-window air conditioner came in handy during the heat wave). :)

ktm4us6
07-10-2012, 08:00 PM
boy did you get lucky, i'm glad things worked out for you.

kcb203
07-11-2012, 02:20 PM
I'm in Falls Church, Va., and this is the first outage longer than an hour or two in four years. I wouldn't have needed a generator if I'd been home--I just would have done 50% daily water changes and reduced the feeding. It was just a bad coincidence of a 1/1000 chance of a power outage multipled by a 3/52 chance that I'd be away from home when it happened. I probably will get a battery air pump, but that wouldn't have done much when I'm out of town and can't replace the battery.