PDA

View Full Version : Advise needed on sand

krislewis3
07-11-2012, 03:57 PM
I'm looking for the "prettiest" sand available for my discuss aquarium!!! I don't mind paying more. If anyone knows of it, it would be someone on SD, sooooo I await your answers!!!!!!

Skip
07-11-2012, 03:59 PM
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?97429-sand-need-advise&highlight=

Second Hand Pat
07-11-2012, 04:01 PM
A circle...awesome lol..or in software an infinity loop

Orange Crush
07-11-2012, 07:35 PM
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?97429-sand-need-advise&highlight=
+1
You could have just "resurrected" your older thread that has the same question by posting on it.

krislewis3
07-12-2012, 06:18 AM
Guys, give me a break!

I know I asked about sand before, however, I still haven't found what I'm looking for. I want a REALLY pretty, sand that has sparkle to it. I'm not concerned with getting the cheapest sand.

dprais1
07-12-2012, 06:47 AM
I'm selling Super Discus Brand Sand. each grain inspected for quality and just the "right look" to enhance the discus keeping experience. I sell the 25lb bag for 104.96 plus shipping and handling. Unfortunatly my supplier of bags is having printing problems so I will be shipping it in a 1/2 full bag that is labeled as HTH pool filter sand 50lbs. because you will be my first customer i will add a 10% bonus.

I also sell quality Illinois Discus Bare-Bottom Tank Sand in empty 20lb rated bags.

No meanness intended...just joking around

krislewis3
07-12-2012, 07:25 AM
Can you tell me more about the sand????? I am specifically looking for a garnet, or other gemstone sand!

Swedgin
07-12-2012, 08:18 AM
I'm selling Super Discus Brand Sand. each grain inspected for quality and just the "right look" to enhance the discus keeping experience. I sell the 25lb bag for 104.96 plus shipping and handling. Unfortunatly my supplier of bags is having printing problems so I will be shipping it in a 1/2 full bag that is labeled as HTH pool filter sand 50lbs. because you will be my first customer i will add a 10% bonus.
I also sell quality Illinois Discus Bare-Bottom Tank Sand in empty 20lb rated bags.
No meanness intended...just joking around

LOL

Elliots
07-12-2012, 08:44 AM
I still have a couple of hundred pounds of sand that really sparkles. It is made of 100% full cut diamonds, no cubic zirconia it my sand! If you are lucky your plants may be able to utilize it as diamonds are 100% carbon. Contoct me for my special off line SD price.

Skip
07-12-2012, 08:49 AM
seriously..

kris.. you got good answers in your other thread..

granite or other stones/sand..

could change ph.. each is different..

if you want colors go to petsmart/petco/walmart.. they have lots of different colored AQUARIUM SAFE sand/stones

dprais1
07-12-2012, 09:10 AM
seriously..

kris.. you got good answers in your other thread..

granite or other stones/sand..

could change ph.. each is different..

if you want colors go to petsmart/petco/walmart.. they have lots of different colored AQUARIUM SAFE sand/stones

yes....look around and pick out what YOU like. you could probably go to home depot and get natural stone tile if it hasn't been treated and lay it on the bottom of the tank as well....

krislewis3
07-12-2012, 09:28 AM
I didn't say granite..I said garnet!!! And I hate the sands that the lfs sell. I'm looking for subtle color and sparkle!!!

Skip
07-12-2012, 09:33 AM
I didn't say granite..I said garnet!!! And I hate the sands that the lfs sell. I'm looking for subtle color and sparkle!!!

Just use K.I.S.S.

i have tried to help you in the past and now..

sorry.. i just can't do it anymore.. ..

good luck

krislewis3
07-12-2012, 09:35 AM
You guys really know how to hurt a newbee!!!

krislewis3
07-12-2012, 10:04 AM
This is one of the sites that I saw that offers beautiful gemstone chips and sands. My question to you guys (those that want to help) is......Have any of you used this type of gemstone sands, and, .is it safe for my discus aquarium???

Aquarium Sand & Gravel

Miracle Marble Art is one of the indian country's premier manufacturer and exporter Of Aquarium gravel & sand
Avalaible colours are :
1 - snow white
2 - Black
3 - pink
4 - Red Jasper
5 - Moss Agate
6 - Tree Agate
7 - Light Green
8 - Amethyst quartz. Our Gravel and Chips are Natural Stone only. Aquarium Pebbles, Chips and Rocks:Aquarium Chips are available in Mix Colors. I

Send Enquiry

DiscusPunk
07-12-2012, 01:53 PM
It depends on which type of gem/stone you use. You need to research the components of the gem/stone before throwing it in your tank. Some gems/stones contain toxic metals that WILL KILL your discus. Others will leach off iron and calcium into the water. Garnet is one of the gems/stones that contain iron as well as aluminum(I wanted to use it too at one point). Try looking for inert gems/stones. I'm using some blue lace agate chips that have been tumbled. Regular quartz adds sparkle as well. I'm also using some quartz chips to add some sparkle. Red jasper is safe to use, as well as obsidian, onyx, petrified wood(there are some very beautiful pieces out there). But these are the more basic non reactive gems/stones: Clear quartz, Rose quartz, Blue Lace Agate, Green Moss agate, Tree agate, Moonstone and light Smokey Quartz.
I found my blue lace agate on ebay, it's one of the harder stones to come by in chip sizes. They also carry a lot of the other stones.
Hope this helps.

krislewis3
07-13-2012, 04:32 AM
Wow...does it ever help!!!! Thank you so very much !!! The blue agat sounds beautiful, Im hoping to find some of that. I'm also liking the idea of the smokey quartz. Where do you get the quartz chips? Do you think the rose quartz will have sparkle to it?

DiscusPunk
07-13-2012, 12:46 PM
I ordered mine from a seller on eBay called World of Gaia. They sell by the half pound. The rose quartz will probably have a little bit of sparkle, more of a gentle iridescence...still beautiful though. The clearer quartz will have the most sparkle probably.

Elliots
07-13-2012, 12:55 PM
Krislewis, HTH sand and Aqua Quartz are both size 20 granules. I do not know what scale the 20 is on but that seems to be the size that works in aquariums

krislewis3
07-13-2012, 04:22 PM
DiscusPunk...can you tell me what to look under, in eBay?

AngryBird
07-13-2012, 05:15 PM
Krishlewis,

I have used Rose Quartz small size gravels before and they didnt sparkle at least with the lighting that I had. However I took them out because it was very difficult to clean them. Now I have all bare bottom tanks :) Good luck with your search.

DiscusPunk
07-13-2012, 05:21 PM
http://stores.ebay.com/World-of-Gaia/_i.html?_fsub=2307823

That's the link to the tumbled stones section. Just scroll through till you find something you like. :)

krislewis3
07-13-2012, 06:50 PM
Wow.. Thank you for the link, .it's like a candy store.