PDA

View Full Version : Discus: my first experience

Dano22
07-11-2012, 04:39 PM
Hello everyone,
I have been interested in discus for the last two years or so but have been intimidated by their level of care and limited on tank size so I haven't done anything but look and dream of owning a discus. The dream will soon be a reality, I recently got a 55 gallon and decide to make it my discus tank.

The purpose of this post is to chronical my experience as well as get advice from all you pros on the forum.
Here is my set up
-55gallon tank bare bottom
-50gallon aqua clear HOB filter
- 2 bio foam sponge filter 20 gallon capacity
-200 watt heater
-one large pice of drift wood
- a few pieces of lava rock and/or slate

I have 4 1.5" baby discus that I am currently growing out in a 20 gallon. I am planing on getting discus from Kenny's discus end of this month/beginning of next probably around 2.5"-3" I was thinking about getting 5 or so. Also I'm planing on getting a few anaubius plants to attach to the drift wood/rocks.

Any input would be appreciated.

Lenin
07-11-2012, 04:43 PM
Sounds good, what is your water change regime? How often are you changing the water in the 20 with the small discus, how much are you feeding, and what are you feeding

lazurux
07-11-2012, 05:04 PM
If Kenny has any left by the end of the month.

DiscusPunk
07-11-2012, 05:32 PM
Are you adding the baby discus with the 5 or so you plan on getting from Kenny? That's gonna be a lot of fish for a 55g. Are you going to have enough room? They'll grow quick.

Dano22
07-11-2012, 05:48 PM
20% water changes every other day. Feed them 4-6 times a day. I feed flake 2 times a day and mix it up between beef heart, mysis shrimp, brine shrimp, and blood worms. I feed them beef heart most frequently of the frozen foods I have. When I get the 55 with the bare bottom I'll be doing 5gallon water changes 5-6 times a week.

shoveltrash
07-11-2012, 05:54 PM
you might want to consider upping your WCs, and plan on more than "5gallon changes 5-6 times a week" for the 55g. JMHO. and ultimately 6 discus in a 55 would be max stocking.
I've had great success with my group from Kenny - phenomenal quality stock to begin with, and they're growing fantastically. I do 50-85% daily WCs.
good luck & welcome to SD :)

Dano22
07-11-2012, 05:58 PM
Discus punk I will be adding them all together. I should explain that of the 4 I have now it is very likely I will cull 3 of them because their fins aren't developing correctly. My intention is to grow out a group of them, I've heard a 55 gal can grow out 6-10 discus from this forum. Also as they grow I'll be looking for a pair to breed In a 30 gallon. I plan on ending up with 5 for the 55gallon and hopefully a pair in the 30 gallon, and cull or sell the rest.

strawberryblonde
07-11-2012, 06:00 PM
Hi Dano and welcome to the SD forums!

Here are the problems I see with your current plan.

1) The 55 gallon won't hold 9 adult discus. They need about 10 gallons each as adults. If you're planning to purchase a larger tank in the next 6 months, then 9 growout discus will work.

2) Feedings are good, but water changes are lacking. To grow out large, healthy discus you should be doing a water change every day. For mine I did 2 changes a day because I was feeding beefheart. I cut back to one 80% WC a day once they were 5" and the beefheart feedings were down to just once per day. For little juvies like yours it's best to do at least that one LARGE water change per day.

3) Once you have them in the 55 gallon you'll still need to do daily water changes. If it was me I'd aim for a 50% WC per day, but some do more and others try to get away with less. I can't tell you that my way is sure proof or the best way, I can only go by the growth and health of my discus as they were growing out. The smallest is now 7.5" and the largest is nearly 9".

Dano22
07-11-2012, 06:06 PM
Your right I forgot to mention that the 5gallons 5-6 times a week is not all the up keep I do. The small water changes purpose it to keep food and waster siphoned from the floor of the tank. Once a week I plan on doing a 50% change on the weekend. I don't like to change more than 50% just personal preference. Maybe I'll up the frequent water changes to 10 gallons.

Dano22
07-11-2012, 06:14 PM
Hi Dano and welcome to the SD forums!

Here are the problems I see with your current plan.

1) The 55 gallon won't hold 9 adult discus. They need about 10 gallons each as adults. If you're planning to purchase a larger tank in the next 6 months, then 9 growout discus will work.

2) Feedings are good, but water changes are lacking. To grow out large, healthy discus you should be doing a water change every day. For mine I did 2 changes a day because I was feeding beefheart. I cut back to one 80% WC a day once they were 5" and the beefheart feedings were down to just once per day. For little juvies like yours it's best to do at least that one LARGE water change per day.

3) Once you have them in the 55 gallon you'll still need to do daily water changes. If it was me I'd aim for a 50% WC per day, but some do more and others try to get away with less. I can't tell you that my way is sure proof or the best way, I can only go by the growth and health of my discus as they were growing out. The smallest is now 7.5" and the largest is nearly 9".

Wow those r some big discus. I think I will reconsider the water changes. And as I said earlier I am growing them in this tank with the ultimate goal of having 5 adults live in the 55gallon and finger crossed a breeding pair in a 30 gallon. And sell/give/trade away what's left.

Donno
07-11-2012, 07:36 PM
I just got into the hobby about a month ago with 7 Discus from Hans. They are currently in a 50 gallon tank getting bigger by the day. My original plan was to move them to a 75-90 gallon tank, but since I got these beauties I've since decided on a 150 gallon which is the largest tank I have room for. They are very addicting and it is such fun to watch them grow and see their personalities develop. I'm already making plans for another 5 or 6 or so!

As far as your water change schedule goes, I'll think you'll regret doing a 5 gallon "poop scoop" once a day and a partial change once a week. I have been changing about 75% a day and only missed one day and the clarity of the water was noticeable. My fish are growing like weeds and are like piranhas when they eat. They have grown from about 3" to about 4" in just a month.

DiscusDrew
07-11-2012, 07:50 PM
Please try to heed the advice given, especially from strawberryblonde. The water change regimen is not a fictional or opinion based theory, it is fact. Juvenile discus require large feedings which it sounds like you are on top of, but they require equally as perfect water conditions. Daily water changes, preferably with aged airated water, will prove to keep your discus free of disease and potential problems. It will keep their immune systems functioning fluently which will greatly improve your experience. Your doing great as far as the BB tank and such though and 9 young discus is fine if you dont plan to keep them there forever. I would wait on the plants until the discus are comfortable and established, you will find plants are difficult with the large water change regimen that a vast majority of us do for our discus. All the best, let us know how it goes and if you have any questions.

Dano22
07-11-2012, 07:57 PM
As far as your water change schedule goes, I'll think you'll regret doing a 5 gallon "poop scoop" once a day and a partial change once a week. I have been changing about 75% a day and only missed one day and the clarity of the water was noticeable. My fish are growing like weeds and are like piranhas when they eat. They have grown from about 3" to about 4" in just a month.

I think that I will plan on doing more maybe 50% daily. I worry about time constraints. I'll be starting my 1st year of law school in August so I'm going to be busy. Any suggestions to stream line my WC?

Dano22
07-11-2012, 08:05 PM
Please try to heed the advice given, especially from strawberryblonde. The water change regimen is not a fictional or opinion based theory, it is fact. Juvenile discus require large feedings which it sounds like you are on top of, but they require equally as perfect water conditions. Daily water changes, preferably with aged airated water, will prove to keep your discus free of disease and potential problems. It will keep their immune systems functioning fluently which will greatly improve your experience. Your doing great as far as the BB tank and such though and 9 young discus is fine if you dont plan to keep them there forever. I would wait on the plants until the discus are comfortable and established, you will find plants are difficult with the large water change regimen that a vast majority of us do for our discus. All the best, let us know how it goes and if you have any questions.

Im glad that I started this post before I started the 55. Already rethinking water changes and how I'll do them. I'm going to have to zipp on over to the Water works and get a plan going for aging/changing water. B/c at this time I only have 3 5gallon jugs. Any ideas will be appreciated.

DiscusDrew
07-11-2012, 08:10 PM
If you have room it is very cheap and simply to set up a 32 Gallon Rubbermaid Brute container, add an airstone or two and a heater and just use that water when you do water changes, after allowing it to sit for 24 hours. Aging your water may or may not be necessary depending on your water conditions. To find out take a Ph reading of your water directly out of the faucet. Then fill a small jug with water and put an airstone in it for 24 hours and re-test the Ph. If you have a difference of more than approximately .4 then I would recommend aging your water. Remember, consistency consistency consistency, if your water values are not changing on a regular basis your discus will prove to be far more comfortable, grow faster, breed faster, and keep a healthier immune system.

Donno
07-11-2012, 08:19 PM
I understand the time constraints of the water change schedule. I work 12 hours a day and with a short commute, I'm gone 13-14 hours a day. What I did to make it as minimally painful as possible was to buy a pump to get the water out of the tank as quickly as possible. I have a Wayne PC2 pump, which drains the water in about 5 minutes. I start the pump and also vacuum the poop into a 5 gallon bucket at the same time. Once that's done I drop some prime into the tank and start the refill from the sink through an RV type water hose. I read part of the morning paper while I'm waiting on it to refill and in 15 minutes I'm done. I throw a freeze dried blood worm cube in the tank when I'm done as a reward. They look forward to the water changes!

water_sprite
07-11-2012, 08:44 PM
I am a discus newbie.....I've got 8 fry and they are growing really fast.....I did mega research before I started and learned that to grow them well, you need to do water changes, water changes, water changes!

I have them in a 40 G breeder aquarium....I change 50% of the water around noon, then at night I do 80 to 90% and I wipe down the sides of the tank.....May be a bit of overkill, but better more than less.

I have a 55 gallon food grade safe barrel that I age my water in.....Bought a fountain pump to pump the water in the aquarium from the barrel.....Doesn't take that long to do it....

I like doing water changes....Gives me a chance to interact with my fishes!

The best advice is to read as much of this forum as you can!

-Brenn

walt3
07-11-2012, 11:49 PM
i kept uping my percentage as i learned out the value of daily water changes. now i do 1/3 - 50 percent daily. big difference. live and learn.lol.

Dano22
07-12-2012, 10:33 AM
Donno thanks for the explaining your water change methods. In fact I think I might run out and buy that exact same pump you have.

After reading all of your concerns about the frequency of my water changes I have already upped the water changes on my current tank and plan on doing the same when the 55 is up and running.

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for already being so helpful as well as honest. I can’t wait to get this thing going!!! Unfortunately I have to wait until the 28th :mad:. But rest assured when I get this thing up and going I will have pictures.

Please keep the suggestions coming if you guys can think of any.
:D

Donno
07-12-2012, 11:13 AM
Donno thanks for the explaining your water change methods. In fact I think I might run out and buy that exact same pump you have.

After reading all of your concerns about the frequency of my water changes I have already upped the water changes on my current tank and plan on doing the same when the 55 is up and running.

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for already being so helpful as well as honest. I can’t wait to get this thing going!!! Unfortunately I have to wait until the 28th :mad:. But rest assured when I get this thing up and going I will have pictures.

Please keep the suggestions coming if you guys can think of any.
:D

Just some suggestions if you do get one of the Wayne transfer pumps, make a PVC tube for the suction hose to connect to. Go to a Home Depot or such and buy a section of 3/4" PVC pipe, 2 - 90 elbows, a PVC ball valve, a PVC female garden hose adapter and a garden hose ball valve. Cut and glue together a U-shaped tube out of the PVC and make it long enough for one end to fit close to the bottom of the tank. Put the ball valve somewhere in-line on the outside section up from the hose adapter fitting. The reason for the ball valve is so you can close it when you're through and not spill water all over the place when you coil the hose up. Add the garden hose ball valve for the drain hose end for the same reason. The valves are optional, but believe me after you spill water all over the floor a couple of times the extra $10 is worth it.

The female PVC garden hose adapters are not readily available, I had to order one through ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Orbit-Female-Garden-Hose-Thread-x-3-4-Slip-PVC-Hose-Pipe-Fitting-Adapter-/251096098823?_trksid=p4340.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUCI%2 52BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D15%26pmod%3D 261062086639%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D55727013850334462 4&_qi=RTM1062687

Dano22
07-24-2012, 11:44 AM
Ok here we go!

this Saturday my friend picked up my discus form the airport. My discus are 5 4.5" snakeskin pigeon blood discus. Yesterday I picked them up from my friends and got them into their new tank. so far so good they were looking a little pale but I’m assuming they were a little stressed from the move. aside from that they seem fine. I’ll post pictures of the tank and discus as soon as I get a chance.

I needed some input on feeding. I was originally going to get much smaller fish and grow them out. i had been planning on feeding 6-8 times a day. I was going to do primarily beef heat supplemented by blood worms, brine shrimp, and flake.

is this frequency still necessary?
should beef heart be their main source of food?
What is a good flake food in peoples opinion (im using just plan old tetramin tropical flaks)

as always an input is appreciated

zimmjeff
07-24-2012, 12:01 PM
you don't need to feed them that many times a day, but many still feed three times at least. I would want to warn you about the lave rock it is very messy and very sharp your discus will injure themselfs on it. Good luck.

Dano22
07-24-2012, 12:12 PM
you don't need to feed them that many times a day, but many still feed three times at least. I would want to warn you about the lave rock it is very messy and very sharp your discus will injure themselfs on it. Good luck.

thanks for the input I never thought about the lava rock being too sharp. I had picked that originally b/c the fact that it doesn’t leach any thing and doesn’t affect ph. luckily I haven’t gone out and spent a bunch of money of a bunch of lava rock. I already own quite a bit of slate that I think ill use instead. I believe that with the flat slate the discus wont be able to hurt themselves as easily also correct me if I’m wrong but I believe that slate is like lava rock in that it doesn’t leach anything and doesn’t affect the ph of the tank.

Harry Marsh
07-24-2012, 07:50 PM
I quickly skimmed the comments.

Noone else commented about only one heater?
I would recommend two. Your single heater will work, but a backup would be nice.
And two heaters means the single heater won't run 100% to keep it at the temp discus like (less chance of it breaking and/or sticking on)