PDA

View Full Version : clamped fins/not eating

cubert
07-11-2012, 06:29 PM
DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started

over the last 2 days or so one of my discus(juvie) has been hiding more than normal with clamped fins, and not eating. before that it seemed his color was beginning to flourish and is usually the "boss" of the tank

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)

clamped fins, hiding, not eating so far

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.

n/a

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish

50g, almost 3 months, 5 discus (2 adults(added today, 2 juvies previously), 2 juvies, 1 medium), 1 fire eel, 1 snowball pleco, 3 golden loaches, 3 african spotted catfish.

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?

25% a week(going to up that), almost 2 months, gravel, no

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp ____84_

- ph __7.0___

- ammonia reading _none___

- nitrite reading __none__

- nitrate reading ____

- well water ____

- municipal water ____

7. Any new fish/plants added recently

4 new plants added yesterday, one african catfish 3 days ago, gave my friend 2 other juvies i had, added 2 adult discus today. i had qt the adults and plants.

tbird22771
07-11-2012, 09:37 PM
Hi Cubert,
I'm no expert but one thing I would say is you should really up your wc schedule. You didn't post what your nitrates are but with the wc schedule and gravel substrate it is likely nitrates are higher then your discus is comfortable with. On my juvies I do 100 - 150% a day and with my adults and sub adults I do 50 - 60% daily in very understocked tanks. The other thing is that all the changes (new fish, plants, etc) right now are only going to stress him more. When did you give the other 2 juvies away? Are the 2 adults you added today much larger then the juvie who is having the issue? I would keep a close watch for bullying and do lots of large daily water changes.

cubert
07-12-2012, 12:24 AM
I just moved him into my QT tank, he was skimming the bottom of the tank in the corner. Yes ill definitely up the WCs and keep a close eye on him so see what else could be wrong. My other 2 discus seem to be just fine with the new adults, and the adults seem to be acclimating alright at the moment.

Eddie
07-13-2012, 03:32 AM
It seems you did not quarantine at all. And you really need to know your water parameters. A tank that has been running for 2 months is still in its beginning stages and the filters more than likely are working to maintain the bio load. Definitely up the water changes to juggle the cycle of the filters and maintain levels within range for the fish to survive.

cubert
07-13-2012, 03:06 PM
i dip my fish in methyline blue and put them in my qt tank for a week+. im upping my WCs to 20% every 2 days, everybody is looking alright at the moment.

Orange Crush
07-13-2012, 03:13 PM
i dip my fish in methyline blue and put them in my qt tank for a week+. im upping my WCs to 20% every 2 days, everybody is looking alright at the moment.
20% every 2 days is not nearly enough even if your fish were not sick. You should be doing large daily water changes to strengthen the fishes immune system.

cubert
07-13-2012, 10:27 PM
ok, will do