PDA

View Full Version : Canister filter water polishing/gravel washing

kim68048
07-12-2012, 06:32 PM
I bought a Marineland Magnum 350 Pro Bio-Wheel canister filter for my 55 gallon tank. It says it has a function to do "water polishing" and "gravel washing". What exactly is the water polishing and would I ever need to do this? Should I use this function to wash the gravel when I do the initial set up? I am using play sand.
Thanks!

-gb-
07-13-2012, 12:26 AM
Hi Kim, I have heard of water polishing before and the filter media that is supposed to do this. IMO it's a wast of money. Everyone here will tell you it's all about frequent water changes. The more the better!

As for your sand I like the look but it's a hassle to keep clean. I went bare bottom years ago and will never go back. Again just my opinion.

Bill63SG
07-13-2012, 12:35 AM
You have a pleated insert,not the bio-wheels.It is somewhat like a diatom filter,can really get the small stuff out.With all the wc's we do for discus,not really needed.I have used a diatom to spruce up a tank,it can rally make it pop.I have never used the gravel feature.Using a python for wc's,my one tank with substrate,it dose the trick.

a volar
07-13-2012, 03:33 AM
with to many water changes you don't need to do water polishing...........

Niblet
07-13-2012, 10:48 AM
I use a magnum 350 for water polishing on the water in my 150 gallon storage tank, as well as a UV light. My water source is a private well. Tho I use a whole house iron filter, the clarity of the stored water is improved with the filter. I just use purigen in the chamber. If I had public water I wouldn't bother, but it works well for my situation.