PDA

View Full Version : How big is the largest Discus you have and What is your WC Regim?

nabilbb
07-12-2012, 06:32 PM
As the title says, We want to see the relationship between growth and WC volum

Thank you

nabilbb
07-13-2012, 11:38 AM
I guess WC has no effect on growth!! no posting on this proves it !!

lipadj46
07-13-2012, 11:59 AM
I guess WC has no effect on growth!! no posting on this proves it !!

I reckon you already know the prevailing opinion. Daily water changes = maximum growth.

nabilbb
07-13-2012, 12:28 PM
I reckon you already know the prevailing opinion. Daily water changes = maximum growth.

Absolutly,
I know that, but what i want to know is what is the growth difference between a Discus who gets dayly WC and the Discus who gets a weekly WC
my openion is
not much = not worthed to do daily WC

lipadj46
07-13-2012, 12:35 PM
I'm not sure you will find many people on this site that would agree that juvies can be grown out to their full potential with weekly water changes.

nabilbb
07-13-2012, 12:45 PM
I know that's why I want to go to the numbers and do statistics (Numbers don't lie)

DiscusOnly
07-13-2012, 12:45 PM
There are too many variables.

Daily WC is a result of trying to keep optimal water condition.. that doesn't always result max growth.

nabilbb
07-13-2012, 12:49 PM
let's do the Statistics...... Start with me

6" Discus
WC = 2times a week 80%

DiscusOnly
07-13-2012, 12:52 PM

6" Discus
WC = 2times a week 80%

LOL... how do you do statistics like that.. Let's see.

How big is the largest discus you have? 6"
WC = 2 times a week.

Nothing about the strains, age, etc..

Kal-El
07-13-2012, 12:58 PM

6" Discus
WC = 2times a week 80%

You will have to factor in if the tank is BB or not as well as feeding regim + WC regim. For myself I had a Javie Tefe at 1.5" on April and now it's 4" as of today and growing.

WC Regim: 50-80% water change every day depending how heavy the feeding is and amount of waste.
Feeding: 5-6x mix of Beef Hearts, Tera Bits, FDBW, & Flake food.
Tank setup: BB with potted plants and hung drift wood.

nabilbb
07-13-2012, 12:58 PM
LOL... how do you do statistics like that.. Let's see.

How big is the largest discus you have? 6"
WC = 2 times a week.

Nothing about the strains, age, etc..

1. You are changing the topic
2. I can tell you don't know much about Statistics

you can always take the average but noting that it can varry between strains

JUST WHAT I THOUGHT ON THIS SITE THE TOPIC WILL BE CHANGED

lipadj46
07-13-2012, 12:59 PM
yeah I was going to duck out as seems like another newb just looking to rile up people and I'm the only one who took the bait, lol! IMO 6" discus are not exceptional, If I am going to put my time into it I want to shoot for 7-8" fish. Obviously not every fish will get over 6" but its nice to have a couple in a group get to be monsters. If you are power feeding your juvies 8 times a day with high protein foods daily water changes are going to maximize your results. Its all about increasing your odds and daily water changes increase your odds of getting large discus over 7".

nabilbb
07-13-2012, 01:05 PM
yeah I was going to duck out as seems like another newb just looking to rile up people and I'm the only one who took the bait, lol! IMO 6" discus are not exceptional, If I am going to put my time into it I want to shoot for 7-8" fish. Obviously not every fish will get over 6" but its nice to have a couple in a group get to be monsters. If you are power feeding your juvies 8 times a day with high protein foods daily water changes are going to maximize your results. Its all about increasing your odds and daily water changes increase your odds of getting large discus over 7".

oh, yeh
you are right
i am wrong
thanks for changing the topic...................

DiscusOnly
07-13-2012, 01:08 PM

Nope.. I know nothing about statistics.. It's been about 20 years ago since I worked for Pharmaceutical companies doing stats for Phase 2&3 Clinical Trials. I can't say I do anymore SAS work. That's going off topic cause we are talking about discus here.

Your 6" discus. Did you grow them out yourself from frys with 2 times WC a week?

nabilbb
07-13-2012, 01:18 PM
Nope.. I know nothing about statistics.. It's been about 20 years ago since I worked for Pharmaceutical companies doing stats for Phase 2&3 Clinical Trials. I can't say I do anymore SAS work. That's going off topic cause we are talking about discus here.

Your 6" discus. Did you grow them out yourself from frys with 2 times WC a week?

No, I him when he was about 2.5"-3"

aalbina
07-13-2012, 01:19 PM
oh, yeh
you are right
i am wrong
thanks for changing the topic...................

My math looks like this:

55 gallon tank, 6 discus = 9.16 gallons available per discus.
WC change = 50% per day so 4.58 gallons per fish.
Largest discus 6.5 inches.
So 4.58 gallons of water changed daily nets me a 6.5 inch discus.
Therefore for every .70 gallons of water I change I can expect 1 inch of growth.

Based on this logic - I am now changing 100% of the water daily which I suspect will yield a 13 inch discus in the near future. I will keep everyone up to date on how this progresses, and please don't tell me that there are other variables such as feeding schedule, types of food, water quality, genetics of the stock, blah blah blah. I'm not interested - let's keep this thread to topic even in the face obvious reason to the contrary.

Adam

nabilbb
07-13-2012, 01:22 PM
My math looks like this:

Therefore for every .70 gallons of water I change I can expect 1 inch of growth.

Based on this logic - I am now changing 100% of the water daily which I suspect will yield a 13 inch discus in the near future. I will keep everyone up to date on how this progresses, and please don't tell me that there are other variables such as feeding schedule, types of food, water quality, genetics of the stock, blah blah blah. I'm not interested - let's keep this thread to topic even in the face obvious reason to the contrary.

Adam

Thanks Adam,
This is a good and informative post. please keep it coming

aalbina
07-13-2012, 01:32 PM
Thanks Adam,

You bet - always willing to make huge leaps in logic without regard for reason. No real compelling reason to wrestle with multivariate analysis when I can just ignore the variables about which I am uninterested and just use univariate analysis to reach whatever conclusion presents itself in the data. It also makes predictive regression analysis a snap!

Adam

Wjmulder
07-13-2012, 02:00 PM
You bet - always willing to make huge leaps in logic without regard for reason. No real compelling reason to wrestle with multivariate analysis when I can just ignore the variables about which I am uninterested and just use univariate analysis to reach whatever conclusion presents itself in the data. It also makes predictive regression analysis a snap!

Adam

LOL!! That's just what I was trying to tell the bartender when he thought I had too much to drink but didn't want to consider how much I ate while drinking!!!!

Can I quote you Adam?

fredfry
07-13-2012, 02:11 PM
Thanks Adam,

I measured the inside dimensions of my 55 gallon tank and found it only holds 47.5 gallons.

John_Nicholson
07-13-2012, 02:22 PM
My math looks like this:

Adam

LOL....Best response that I have read in a long, long time.....

-john

Larry Bugg
07-13-2012, 02:26 PM
My math looks like this:

Adam

LMAO, great answer.

Orange Crush
07-13-2012, 02:46 PM

I do know statstics. This is an unscientific poll so the results are based on who is willing to post here. Not even close to a good sample.

Brokenrack
07-13-2012, 04:17 PM
If I bought a 9" discus yesterday and never changed the water yet what does that prove? The fish you have most likley had 100% wc twice a day before you bought them. What does that prove?
if you want to prove something get a group fo siblings and do your own experiment and document it here for all the world to see.
Scott

nabilbb
07-13-2012, 04:25 PM
I measured the inside dimensions of my 55 gallon tank and found it only holds 47.5 gallons.

Thanks FREDFRY
But that was not the topic so I say to you

yeh, whatever

Donno
07-13-2012, 04:27 PM
This is a poll and not statistics. I can design a poll that will generate any result you want it to. If you want facts design an experiment and go from there.

nabilbb
07-13-2012, 04:28 PM
If I bought a 9" discus yesterday and never changed the water yet what does that prove?
Scott

It proves that you didn't understand the topic

nabilbb
07-13-2012, 04:28 PM
LOL....Best response that I have read in a long, long time.....

-john

+1

nabilbb
07-13-2012, 04:34 PM
I do know statstics.

Good for you,
I was wrong again, you know statistics

DiscusOnly
07-13-2012, 04:41 PM
As the title says, We want to see the relationship between growth and WC volum

Thank you

Absolutly,
I know that, but what i want to know is what is the growth difference between a Discus who gets dayly WC and the Discus who gets a weekly WC
my openion is
not much = not worthed to do daily WC

You are the one who changed the topic.

nabilbb
07-13-2012, 04:46 PM
You are the one who changed the topic.

I will not even ask how and why

Thanks

Donno
07-13-2012, 04:48 PM
This is a poll and not statistics. I can design a poll that will generate any result you want it to. If you want facts design an experiment and go from there.

Apparently you have no comment on my challenge?

nabilbb
07-13-2012, 04:51 PM
Apparently you have no comment on my challenge?

Donno,
I don't know how i missed your post.
please do, all I want is facts and learn through logical reasons. not because SD say so

Thanks

AngryBird
07-13-2012, 04:53 PM
This reply made me lol after a long time... Good one Adam :)

Adam

Donno
07-13-2012, 05:01 PM
If you want facts you have to take some initiative on your own. If you want to tell people they're dicks for changing water prove that they're wrong.
So far all I've seen from you is BS. If you want to show that water changes aren't necessary, buy two groups of discus and raise them differently. One with water changes daily and one without. Simple process, prove your point.

nabilbb
07-13-2012, 05:05 PM
If you want facts you have to take some initiative on your own. If you want to tell people they're dicks for changing water prove that they're wrong.
So far all I've seen from you is BS. If you want to show that water changes aren't necessary, buy two groups of discus and raise them differently. One with water changes daily and one without. Simple process, prove your point.

Donno,
1. See post#4 I never deny WC increases growth
I guess you are the 1 who is saying BS
Read the whole thing before you judge people

2. Your said you can design somekind of poll now you are asking me to prove my point

Donno
07-13-2012, 05:11 PM
Donno,
1. See post#4 I never deny WC increases growth
I guess you are the 1 who is saying BS
Read the whole thing before you judge people

2. Your said you can design somekind of poll now you are asking me to prove my point

You have no argument. You're just trying to stir up shite.

Elliots
07-13-2012, 05:12 PM
Statistics, any smart person knows that three out of every two people do not understand them. Also, there are three kinds of lies. Lies, white lies and statistics.

nabilbb
07-13-2012, 05:12 PM
You have no argument. You're just trying to stir up shite.

be a person on your word,
ok thanks

Orange Crush
07-13-2012, 05:14 PM
Maybe you should start an actual "poll" on here so that people can "vote" on what they do rather than comment on what they do because this thread is not helping you know what you want and is going nowhere. I do not know how to do a poll but you could ask one of the admins or maybe someone else here can tell you.

nabilbb
07-13-2012, 05:16 PM
Maybe you should start an actual "poll" on here so that people can "vote" on what they do rather than comment on what they do because this thread is not helping you know what you want and is going nowhere. I do not know how to do a poll but you could ask one of the admins or maybe someone else here can tell you.

I like this, I don't know how to do it too. can somebody HELP?

Thanks

DirtyDutch
07-13-2012, 08:08 PM
You got **** fish boy! Your fish are ****!

:)

shoveltrash
07-14-2012, 07:10 AM

Adamomg.....Adam I'm stealing this quote - this applies to SO MANY things LOLOL.
:D

Wes
07-14-2012, 12:14 PM

I like this, I don't know how to do it too. can somebody HELP?

Thanks
Go to-------------Post New Thread
------------------Additional Options
toward the bottom------Post a Poll
Create a poll with this number of options (Maximum 10):

strawberryblonde
07-14-2012, 01:12 PM
But, but, this is a no brainer for me! LOL

Bought 5 4" discus last April.

WC - 60 - 80% each morning, 80% every night

Largest 3 discus - 8.75" - 8.9"
Smaller 2 discus - 7.75"

There ya go, if you had done 2 large WC's per day, your fish wouldn't be wee little 6" things. They'd be dinner plates. =)

phat nguyen
07-14-2012, 01:22 PM
Hello Toni,

May I see your picture of the + 8.5" discus.
I am very impress with their size. Would love to do 2 water change daily to get my discus to that size.

Best wishes,
Perry Nguyen

magewynd
07-14-2012, 02:06 PM
Hey Perry, this is the thread with Toni"s fish.http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?95547-Hans-Discus-1-Year-Later&highlight=
Hello Toni,

I am very impress with their size. Would love to do 2 water change daily to get my discus to that size.

Best wishes,
Perry Nguyen

strawberryblonde
07-14-2012, 08:08 PM
Hello Toni,

Best wishes,
Perry Nguyen

Thanks Steve, I have no idea how you found my old thread! =)

Hi Perry, here are pics from a few minutes ago. I'm in the middle of a water change so they weren't really thrilled with me snapping pics of them at the same time...they just want FOOD! LOL

This is the Marlboro Red alongside a normal 5.75" female BT. 8.75"

And this is the Red Turq. 8.75+" The Marlboro is peeking out from behind him.

And the third pic is the Red Scribbelt, who is oddly shaped and only 8" top to bottom, but 8.9 inches from nose to tail.

phat nguyen
07-14-2012, 08:13 PM
Hello Toni,
Thanks for the pictures.
They look great and so full of colors. You did a GREAT JOB.

Congrats,
Perry Nguyen