PDA

View Full Version : Crazy question here.... Well kinda

Trier20
07-13-2012, 12:15 AM
I went golfing the other day with a friend he lost a ball in a wooded area so I went to help him find it. Long story short, like a idiot, I have ended up with poison ivy behind both knees, one ankle and both forearms. So my question is, am I still good to do regular cleaning which I'm usually up to my elbows. Thanks in advance!

PhoenixLR
07-13-2012, 03:03 AM
I would not attempt to do anything which requires exposure to avoid possible cross contamination. Your alergic reaction stemmed from the oils in the ivy so you won't know the extent of nor the phase your illness is in. Do light cleanings, glass magnets, and WCs with tubing. Plus the oil in poison Ivy just spreads with water. Keep pioson ivy dry.

Trier20
07-13-2012, 04:29 PM
Yea I didn't know about how it would affect the fish. The poison ivy I know very well. Though I don't believe it actually spreads. It just takes some infected spots longer to appear than others depending on the amount of oils on the skin. This gives us the illusion of it spreading which it is actually not.

Orange Crush
07-13-2012, 05:01 PM
That sucks. I've never had poison ivy (knock on wood) but it sounds miserable.:(

Disgirl
07-13-2012, 09:29 PM
Don't put your arms into the tank until the rash is all gone! If you have any open blisters, that would be an entry point for all sorts of nasty tank bacteria to get a start in you. You need to protect yourself, not the fish. Heal up quick!
Barb

Trier20
07-13-2012, 09:42 PM
Don't put your arms into the tank until the rash is all gone! If you have any open blisters, that would be an entry point for all sorts of nasty tank bacteria to get a start in you. You need to protect yourself, not the fish. Heal up quick!
Barb

Thanks Barb!

DiscusDrew
07-14-2012, 03:41 AM
Yeah for sure that should be your first concern.... Setting that aside, GLOVE UP BOY ITS TIME TO GO IN!!! ;)

aalbina
07-14-2012, 08:13 AM
?...Though I don't believe it actually spreads. It just takes some infected spots longer to appear than others depending on the amount of oils on the skin. This gives us the illusion of it spreading which it is actually not.

I've been told exactly the same thing by several doctors - I'm highly allergic to poison ivy. Like others - I would be way more concerned about secondary infection of my arms by dunking them in the tank.

Good luck.

Adam

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

boscobear
07-14-2012, 09:02 AM
Tape both forearms with cling wrap, and seal the ends with wide packing tape. Hope you don't have to put your knees in the water.... Make sure there is no medication on either your hands or arms. The itch is caused by oils released by the plant, next time wash off the oils real good before you scratch. The secret is no scratching, it breaks the skin, and lets the oil in.

Trier20
07-14-2012, 11:46 PM
Yeah for sure that should be your first concern.... Setting that aside, GLOVE UP BOY ITS TIME TO GO IN!!! ;)

Lol agreed! That's what I've been doing. Then just scrub the piss out of it with a grease cutting dish soap. Then treat the wounds again with meds.