PDA

View Full Version : Question about Carols timeline...

Jerry Mitchem
07-13-2012, 07:29 PM
Should I remove the parents based off Carols timeline?

LizStreithorst
07-13-2012, 07:41 PM
A link would help, I couldn't find the thread.

What I do is let the fish tell me. I like to leave the babies and parents together for 3 weeks if I can. If the the parents get irritated with the babies or a huge number of fry are putting a toll on the parents, I seperate them.

Jerry Mitchem
07-13-2012, 08:14 PM
Carols 'hatching timeline' is a sticky thread up above in this section.

Here is a video of the fish, Please Id them. As I am new to discus and don't know breeds that well.

youtube.com/watch?v=5drnKFN4-ac

Keith Perkins
07-13-2012, 09:09 PM
Carol's timeline is spot on as long the parents are tolerating the fry well. If the parents start appearing pale, chewed on, irritated, etc. it's best to pull the affected parent(s) early. It's hard to tell what type of discus you have from the quick moving video, but best guess given the video is some type of turq or turq cross. You're surprised they're spawning already because the fish are older than you probably think, as the fish haven't been properly cared for earlier in their life and are stunted. The large looking eye, or more appropriately the ratio between the size of the eye and the height of the fish at the eye, is the tip-off that the fish are stunted. Off-spring of stunted fish however are not stunted unless they're not cared for properly, so if things go well you could easily end up with nicer fish than the parents are. Good luck with them.

Jerry Mitchem
07-13-2012, 09:14 PM
ty cozy... the guy I got them from had about 50ppm nitrates in his water when I got home and tested it. I on the other hand do not let my tanks go like that...Hopefully it will work out..