PDA

View Full Version : Digital Heater Controller

laupao
07-16-2012, 11:39 AM
SD Members,

Can anyone tell me their experience using the Finnex HC-0810 Digital Heater Controller

http://www.kensfish.com/product936.html

Is it a realiable device, any issues? I'm thinking about getting it. I heard one of the flaw is the probe wire is short

Thanks,

aalbina
07-16-2012, 11:45 AM
I use this device on my main tank - got it from Ken's Fish. I love it - rock solid - great device. I set the heaters at 90 at the controller at 85 for double safety. Works great - I don't have an issue with the length of the probe wire. I hang the until on the side of the tank so I can see the temp and the probe is in the center bottom of my 55 gallon and I have extra probe cord.

Adam

laupao
07-16-2012, 12:00 PM
Thanks Adam

My main tank is also a 55 gallon. What is the total length of the probe wire? Towards the end of your response you said u have extra probe cord? Even when the probe is in the buttom/center of the tank? From what I've found so far, people complain about the short probe.

How long have u had this device? Is it analog or a digital display?

THanks

Elliots
07-16-2012, 01:13 PM
aalbina, is that correct, you set your heaters at 90 and the controller at 85. If that were true the controller should turn of the heaters at 85. Did you reverse the numbers on the heaters and controller or do your heaters set at 90 not heat the tank past 85?

aalbina
07-16-2012, 04:33 PM
Elliots - I set the heaters in the tank to 90 degrees. Then I plug the heaters into the controller ( the actual power for the heaters is provided through the controller) and set the controller to 85. Sometimes - I may want the heaters to heat the tank to 90 - so if I had them set at 85 and the controller to 90 they wouldn't come on past 85. Lots of folks just max out the heaters and plug them into the controller. If the controller sticks on for some reason, which is less likely than a heater sticking on, my fail safe is the temperature shutoff in the heaters - which are set at 90.

Adam

aalbina
07-16-2012, 04:39 PM
Laupao

If had it about a year and a half. Mine is model HC 810 M. That's the one that remembers your settings if the power goes out and just resumes heating the tank to the parameters you set when the power comes back on. We lose power up here a lot.

I didn't measure it but it's about 4 feet long: I put the extra in the tank so you can see it. http://img.tapatalk.com/4b44774f-7bb0-7c50.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/4b44774f-7c1b-9f0c.jpg

aalbina
07-16-2012, 04:57 PM
Elliots,

Forgot to mention that I use Jäger heaters 2 x 150watts and they'll heat my tank to whatever I set them at - 80, 85, 90, 95... they are Jäger heaters after all...

Adam

Poco
07-16-2012, 05:05 PM
I use this device on my main tank - got it from Ken's Fish. I love it - rock solid - great device. I set the heaters at 90 at the controller at 85 for double safety. Works great - I don't have an issue with the length of the probe wire. I hang the until on the side of the tank so I can see the temp and the probe is in the center bottom of my 55 gallon and I have extra probe cord.

Adam

How many probes can you add to the device? Can you add multiple probes for multiple tanks fed from one unit. As all the tanks are same temp etc.

Thanks.

Elliots
07-16-2012, 05:28 PM
Thanks Adam, I did not think of it working that way. I wanted the thermo. to shut of the heaters if they stick on. Your way appears just as good. I think the other way the heaters heat the tank and if they stick on the thermo cuts them off but it appears both ways work

aalbina
07-16-2012, 06:13 PM
How many probes can you add to the device? Can you add multiple probes for multiple tanks fed from one unit. As all the tanks are same temp etc.

Thanks.

Not with this controller.

Adam