PDA

View Full Version : Discus tank rescape

Big-Ken
07-16-2012, 11:15 PM
Not real sure where to put this so since I'm a beginner this seems like a good place.

Removed my gravel and driftwood and added a thin later of pool filter sand. I'm really liking the simple "zen" scape, its not bare bottom but still easy to clean best of both worlds. What do you all think??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xd9CN_hgahw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

discuspaul
07-16-2012, 11:27 PM
Hey, looks just fine.
The discus seem to like it !

Floppy Fin's
07-16-2012, 11:35 PM
Well.. gotta be honest here, IMO, it looks barren, and the discus like a bit of security foilage (breeders excepted perhaps. I like ths sand and rocks, but try putting some plastic plants in and your drift wood again.. It may help the decor.
Also.. that black background is iffy. Painted ?? Maybe a underwater scene of some sort. I hope this helps a bit from my side of the tank.. :-) And I want to see those babies when they grow up..
Floppy Fin's...

strawberryblonde
07-16-2012, 11:52 PM
Beautiful job! They look about 4"? You'll be amazed at how quickly they fill up that tank. =)

I don't think the tank looks barren at all and the fish don't look skittish, so they're obviously very content with their new surroundings. I love the way they swim back and forth in a little line. But what' up with that one who keeps lagging behind? LOL

Big-Ken
07-16-2012, 11:54 PM
When the wood was in they were skittish and always hid behind the wood now they interact with everyone. I really don't like backgrounds, especially in this tank. I want the discus to be the center of attention, the white sand reflects the light and makes them shine and glow against the black back.

Eventually I'll add some Manzanita, once they grow a bit and I'm not doing as many water changes

DiscusBR
07-17-2012, 12:02 AM
Looks great, but it would look much better with some Manzanita branches. Post some pics when you get the Manzanita.

TNT77
07-17-2012, 12:07 AM
Beautiful job! They look about 4"? You'll be amazed at how quickly they fill up that tank. =)

I don't think the tank looks barren at all and the fish don't look skittish, so they're obviously very content with their new surroundings. I love the way they swim back and forth in a little line. But what' up with that one who keeps lagging behind? LOL
+1 wood only makes for more obstacles to have to try and clean around or under. They look healthy and happy.

DiscusBR
07-17-2012, 12:17 AM
+1 wood only makes for more obstacles to have to try and clean around or under. They look healthy and happy.

Not if you have one or two branches touching the sand. Also, you can hang the branches from the top.

Big-Ken
07-17-2012, 12:25 AM

Ya the biggest is a littler over 4", they have really came out of there shells since the rescape. That one is a little slow :screwy: it wanders away from the group often then will realize everyone is on the other side of the tank and freaks

Brent1972
07-17-2012, 03:50 AM
I never thought I would say this BUT I Love the black background It makes the fish stand out. Instead of wood I put a couple of large rocks in there to break it up a bit , that's only my personal preference .