PDA

View Full Version : Fin damage, should I worry??

Big-Ken
07-17-2012, 11:16 AM
Does this look like the beginnings of fin rot or net damage or aggression. The two fish being effected are the two largest and both want to be the alpha, I also netted them out last weekend for a rescape. I'm wondering if its been this way for a bit but never noticed due to the dark substrate but now that there is white sand it pops out

DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started

edge of 2 discus's tail fins slightly tattered and a little bit of white. Started after I moved my discus to a temp styrofoam cooler so I could drain my tank and change the substrate, just noticed a day later

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)

nothing other than the tattered and white edge of the tail fin, eating great, color great, swimming all over.

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.

None just water changes

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish

90g, only had the fish for 2 months 6 discus 3.5-4.25"

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?

75% every Tue, Thur, Sat, Sun. Tank been up for 2 years, 1" pool filter sand, straight from tap to ph flucation

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp _____ 85

- ph _____ 7.6

- ammonia reading ____ 0

- nitrite reading ____ 0

- nitrate reading ____ 5

- well water ____ no

- municipal water ____ yes

7. Any new fish/plants added recently
No

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/kmccox/20120716_233809-1.jpg

Longhorn2750
07-17-2012, 11:27 AM
It looks like they have just been roughed up a little. I would just monitor them closely and give them plenty of water changes to avoid a bacterial or fungal infection. Your fish should recover just fine in a week or so.

Lenin
07-17-2012, 11:30 AM
Water changes, maybe some salt, should recover

strawberryblonde
07-17-2012, 11:54 AM
Looks like damage from netting them this past weekend. Plenty of water changes and they should heal right up.

When I have to net mine I just plan to do 75 - 80% water changes every day for the next week because I just know that they're going to get some fin damage...pesky little things hate the net. LOL

Big-Ken
07-17-2012, 01:33 PM
thanks all thats what i was thinking but i wanted other opinions, ill up the water change schedule and will keep an eye on it

jimg
07-17-2012, 01:41 PM
Looks like damage from netting them this past weekend. Plenty of water changes and they should heal right up.

When I have to net mine I just plan to do 75 - 80% water changes every day for the next week because I just know that they're going to get some fin damage...pesky little things hate the net. LOL+1 a trim with scissors would hurt either. keep and eye on them, sometimes fins are the first to show health.

DonMD
07-17-2012, 05:16 PM
+1 a trim with scissors would hurt either. keep and eye on them, sometimes fins are the first to show health.

Andrew Soh at the Discus Convention in Atlanta during his talk said he believes that this type of fin damage, or splitting of fins, is bacterial in nature, saying that explains why some fish in a tank may show this and others won't. He advises trimming the affected fin, and then applying some antibiotic, and returning the fish to the tank. I just did this with one of my fish, and her tail fin grew back fabulously in 4 weeks.

You can find good advice on trimming fins if you search the subject. good luck.

Big-Ken
07-17-2012, 05:24 PM
I'll look into that if they don't heal up but since I did just net them two days ago I'll give clean water a chance first

jimg
07-17-2012, 08:00 PM
not as bad as it seems,very simple, no harder than trimming your nails i have done it many times without ab too.

Big-Ken
07-17-2012, 10:12 PM
Got home tonight and all the white was gone and they didn't look as tattered

Eddie
07-18-2012, 03:17 AM
Good move on waiting it out. Glad to hear its gotten better!