PDA

View Full Version : Question on Discus Handling

DiscusDrew
07-20-2012, 07:12 PM
So as Im sure most of us are aware, hard rays on discus are well.... just that, HARD rays. In my current situation with the amount of fish in the fish room it seems there is a fish in my hand fairly regularly for one reason or another, and as such my hands slowly but surely take a beating. I prefer not to use nets because I dont like the effect it can have on the eyes and sometimes they seem to get tangled making the whole experience more stressful, so I use my hands. My question is this, are nitrile gloves safe to be used in the handling of discus, and also perhaps while cleaning the aquarium? I use them often when handling baby artemia because I have had one bad experience which I do not care to repeat. Id appreciate any input from those of you who may use this approach.

Elliots
07-20-2012, 07:49 PM
What about powder free laytex? I use them in my office, they stretch and feel good. I only used nitrile once years ago and I didn't like them. I think it was because they were too thick. I have seen vinyl gloves (For health professionals with a latex allergy) no good, too thick and do not fit. I am a Dentist, for handling Discus nitrile and vinyl might be good.

Second Hand Pat
07-20-2012, 08:01 PM
Drew, how about a cowboy hat and a rope :)

DonMD
07-20-2012, 08:01 PM
But would either vinyl or nitrile keep the rays from penetrating the glove and poking the hand? Wow, Drew, you must be handling fish a LOT to have the problem you described. I know what you mean about the net irritating their eyes and their fins getting stuck, so hands are the best if you can do it, but I've only ever been able to hand a fish when it's in a 5 gallon bucket.

DiscusDrew
07-20-2012, 09:49 PM
I move them from tank to tank with my hands, such as when I pull them to breed and such, or receiving new shipments. I think I may have seen a picture of someone unloading a shipment at one point wearing them but I wanted to double check. Wasnt sure if it would cause a problem with their slime coat or any other potential conflict. I would think they would be better than latex but Im by no means a chemist or anything so I have no idea. Nobody uses some kind of glove? If you look at my hands you can see a circular pin prick of spines through my palm and first two fingers, since the head goes in between. Most of my fish dont mind but theres always that one that gets you good. Im sure the glove wont stop everything, but it would help I think as they never penetrate deep, obviously Im pretty gentle with them.

DiscusDrew
07-20-2012, 09:54 PM
But would either vinyl or nitrile keep the rays from penetrating the glove and poking the hand? Wow, Drew, you must be handling fish a LOT to have the problem you described. I know what you mean about the net irritating their eyes and their fins getting stuck, so hands are the best if you can do it, but I've only ever been able to hand a fish when it's in a 5 gallon bucket.
The trick is to lower the water level pretty significantly before handling them, then I hold them gently with their head in between my thumb and index finger, with my other fingers supporting the bottom of the fish. If the water level isnt low its damn near impossible haha, and they start jumping which is no bueno.

Drew, how about a cowboy hat and a rope
LOL Pat, I didnt say I was trying to play doctor, or role play.... Not that I wouldnt look sexy in a cowboy hat but I dont think its so much my thing... lol

wannadivesteve
07-20-2012, 11:44 PM
I'm going to suggest something that I did for years at my store for spiny or expensive fish and can't recall seeing it done elsewhere. We got the Lee's fish box/convalescent home out, stuck it on it's side against the front pane of the glass about 3-5 inches from the side and gently herded the fish to the corner and then into the box with a small net. Works like a charm in most cases, you herd the fish in, put the net over the open end grab the box with your free hand and tilt it up (most fish head straight down or away from the net) and lift it out, then you can transfer the fish anywhere without even touching it. Of course, if your fish is a big fish you may need a bigger box. Try to make sure it's clear/see through, they usually swim right in unless they're really smart. We used to do that on almost all of our salt fish and most of our spendier fw fish, it also helps in decorated tanks where it's easy to slowly herd a fish to where you want it but nearly impossible to swoop it up.