PDA

View Full Version : How many discus per gallon?

Swancici
07-21-2012, 01:37 AM
I know the general rule is 1 discus per 10 gallon? How many people fallow this? Also I heard alot of different rules depending on how much you clean and filtration. What rules do you fallow?

I have 115 gallon 48long,18wide,31high. How many discus could I put? If I clean it everyday 90% and 3
after each feed? Bare bottom and 8 corydoras( filtration would be 2 ac110 and a sponge filter)

How I am planing to get 3inch discus. I have a 40 gallon tank not sure the dimensions but it's a bowfront I would like to use as a grow out how many discus could I put in there with the same cleaning habits? And what size do I move them to the bigger tank?

strawberryblonde
07-21-2012, 01:45 AM
Hi there,

I actually did exactly this type of thing last year. I raised my discus in a 54g and then moved them to a 115g with the same dimensions as your tank.

I started out raising 6 discus, then got the big tank and moved them into it when they were about 5" each. I'd lost one a week after he arrived, so moved 5 discus into the big tank. Then I bought 4 more 4" discus and added them to the big tank. I have a total of 9 adult discus in the tank now. They fit very well in the tank and I'm thinking I could probably manage 1 more, but no more than that because my discus got so darned big.

If you're going to be doing 90% water changes and really keep up with a LOT of feedings, you can end up with large adults. It will also depend on where you purchase them as some breeders and some strains grow larger than others.

If you had all 6" - 6.5" adults you could probably get away with up to 11 in the tank without much trouble. Ohhhh, forgot to add that I use 1 ac110 and a double stacked sponge filter in my tank and have no problems with ammonia or nitrites.